Aftermarket Fuel injection question

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Aftermarket Fuel injection question

I was wondering who here has installed an aftermarket FI system on their car. I also would like to know of one with very few problems to get it running and the price.

This is going on my 71 olds 350 any help is great thanks.
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:43 AM
delete

On this site CutlassEFI is The Guy when it comes to EFI. Search his posts or reach out to him

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=4556127
Old January 24th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I run a sniper EFI on my Olds powered Pontiac. It works very well. I would not call it a true plug in and play. Since the EFI in basic form only can control so much all mechanical factors must be working perfect or near perfect. I had a trans that was locking up at idle and I always choked it up to be a slight tune issue. I went to the EFI and it did not like the RPM drop between park and drive or reverse like the carb did. I eneded up putting in a fresh trans and converter and after that I had no more issues. I did have an o2 sensor that died but so far its great for a cruiser. For the street strip car I still prefer a carb. The nice thing is I can drive thing car any time. I drove it to work the other day it was 20 degrees out. Didn't miss a beat. There is pro's and cons to the more basic EFI set ups but overall its mixed reviews. I work on cars for a living so my small issues where quickly found. I see guys on specific sniper EFI forums struggle because the expectation is plug in and play and problems are (poof) gone. Its far from that.
Old January 24th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Most people expect too much from these throttlebody EFI systems. However I would never choose a carb over EFI for any dragracing. The EFI should be way more consistent, with the only REAL variable then being the driver.
If your EFI did not like the RPM drop from park to drive, then you just needed to do some more tuning in that area. There are multiple things that can be done with most systems for that type of issue.
And again for the record, I don’t regard the Throttle body systems as true EFI. They’re much more of just an electronic carburetor.
Jmo
Old January 24th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

A higher grade of EFI. I agree should be better than carbs in drag racing. I meant the sniper. The sniper vs my carb i prefer the carb for the track personally.
Old January 26th, 2019, 09:51 AM

I have the Holley Sniper on my 400+ hp SBO. It ran very nice out of the box, but to truly utilize the advantages of EFI you need to be willing to fine tune it and also have the EFI computer control ignition timing.