A "350" is never JUST a 350...

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

A "350" is never JUST a 350...

I am being told that going with a 350 when (apparently NOT if) my current 307 goes *bang* is the better option vs. re-doing the same mill.

[I'll keep the original so that when car collectors lose their minds in a few years and want a Custom Cruiser that's "numbers-matching" I can still cash in.]

BUT 350s ARE EVERYWHERE!

Honestly, I know it as a Chevy motor, not Olds. So can someone tell me the year/model/whatever 350 I'm looking for to put into an '89 (or whatever other year works) Custom Cruiser?

I can't afford a "crate" motor (or, honestly, even the crate right now), but I'd like to know what I should keep my eyes out for. Also, what else will have to change? Like do I need a specific transmission (other than the four-speed auto that I already have)?

I'm hoping this engine is easier to source than something like a power antenna (which I CANNOT find, at least locally) as the 350 seems to have been in everything GM made back then at some point.

Thanks,

Drew
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM

Anything made in 1989 for a wagon will be a pig.

I have a 1970 Rocket 350 recently rebuilt with 300hp / 410ft lbs I'll sell ya.
Turnkey, Carb to pan , trans and driveshaft.
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by auto_editor
BUT 350s ARE EVERYWHERE!

Honestly, I know it as a Chevy motor, not Olds. So can someone tell me the year/model/whatever 350 I'm looking for to put into an '89 (or whatever other year works) Custom Cruiser?
You ARE asking about an Olds 350, right? Let's be honest, any one you can find (1968-1980) will be an upgrade. The 68-76 motors have solid main webs, but frankly you'll never see the difference in your car. The 68-70 motors are higher compression (though you could get 9:1, 10.25:1, and 10.5:1 in those years). Later motors run around 8.5:1. Find the one in the best possible shape since it sounds like you're looking at used.
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Not sure if you know it, but Olds made a 403 that along with the Olds 350 is a direct bolt in replacement for your 307. They made a gazillion of them between 77-80. Those extra 53 cubes should make a difference in that wagon. You will have some tuning to do if you want to keep it on the computer.
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

hey how much for that? send me a PM

nd OP if ur lookin for chevy i got a post 86 350 with aluminim heads etc turnkey with a 700r4 tranny
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Drew, if you haven't figured it out by now, each GM division made their own 350. They are all completely different. There is not a part on them which will interchange between makes (well, OK, the distributor rotor and maybe a few parts of the carb are identical).

If your Custom Cruiser has an Olds engine in it right now, then an Olds engine is what you're looking for. To switch to a, say, Chevy 350 would entale a lot of extra, unnecessary work.
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by captjim
They made a gazillion of them between 77-80.
1977-79, actually. I think there were more installed in Pontiacs than in Oldsmobiles.
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
1977-79, actually. I think there were more installed in Pontiacs than in Oldsmobiles.
Yep, a LOT of those T/A boys yanked them in favor of the Poncho 400. In the early 80s you could get low mileage 403s for next to nothing. I'll bet there are sill a few sitting around.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

I'm definitely interested, if you can send me a ballpark figure.

As for the Olds engine, if it was good enough to sue for millions of dollars over (and win), it's good enough for me. I'd prefer to get everything right the first time, of course, and to have the best powertrain option in there for the one and only time I'll replace it.

I've been flooded with opinions regarding what's best to use, but none of them comes from an Olds-centric viewpoint, so most treat this like I'm building a generic hot rod and say the 350 Chevy/LT1 route is best.

Um, no. This, however, is also the first time I've heard "using the computer" in relation to this operation, so I know I'm getting advice from the right place.

[And FYI, I'm willing to strip away ANYTHING I don't HAVE to keep. If I can "turn back the clock" as it were and go with an earlier setup (pre-smog crap?) that will be plug-and-play, I'm cool with that. It concerns me that my research lists all manner of "improvements" made with my engine, including "swirl port heads" which "improved driveability and low-end torque" though they also "featured very small intake ports, which reduced the higher RPM power and performance significantly." So confusing...]
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:40 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Why will your 307 go bang?, it's a tough well proven engine if not the most exciting performance motor.
Any SBO will bolt straight in but unless it is complete pan to carb you may have issues swapping parts over, in particular I think the 403 manifolds may be a problem. Tearing out smog equipment may give you more headaches than improvements unless you understand what you are doing and why.
If you want to put in another make of engine you will have to fabricate mountings and the exhaust at least and may have to modify the wiring as well.
I don't know if your insurance premiums will go up (they certainly would over here) but it is something to bear in mind when doing any major modifications.
The computer in your car is designed to operate within the parameters of a 307, I swapped a 307 for a 350 (both Olds engines) in a Buick Riviera a couple of years ago and had real issues getting the carb and timing set up properly.
If you are on a tight budget maybe the lowest cost option would be to freshen up your 307 simply because the car is set up for it.

Last edited by rustyroger; January 21st, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM

I've read other posts from the OP and it seems he is looking for a cheap motor to toss in a daily driver. If you use an olds motor you will have to get a different tranny because it will not bolt up to a chevy tranny. If I read it right you have a chevy 307 currently. Putting in a motor with a different cubic inch would mean some tweaking of the fuel injection system. Keep in mind that if you go to a carb then it will not run as good on the cold or hot days. You might have to change the air fuel mixture in extreme weather conditions. Without the smog crap on your motor you could increase the fuel economy and horsepower. Just depends on how much you can do yourself and how much you want to spend. Also the increased compression to 10:1 would require 91 octane fuel and in my state it costs about $.20/gal more.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 455man
If you use an olds motor you will have to get a different tranny because it will not bolt up to a chevy tranny.
Problem solved if you buy mine!!!!
I'll PM you a ball park because I really don't know what I want to sell it for yet.

I PM'd Joe, but he hasn't responded yet.
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Right now I'm facing an engine that has started to make what has been diagnosed (twice now) as making "expensive bottom-end sounds" that will require (at some point) rebuilding or replacing.

I ALREADY had a carb on that engine that needs the same, and I have no idea how much "slack" there's "supposed" to be in shifts with my (also never touched in 169k miles) four-speed automatic, but it gives you a solid one-two count between any gear and park, with a slight "thump" and jerk through the driveline when engaging the desired gear.

SO, as someone who cannot do this work himself (if for no other reason than I don't have the space, tools or time for it), I'm facing rebuilding or replacing just about everything under the hood other than the new belts, hoses and filters I've replaced.

I certainly don't begrudge these components for their "fading away" as 169k miles without ever being apart is a damn good record of service, all things considered. It's just that as I add all the parts and labor up for returning my parts to new(ish) operation it just seems easier to (hopefully) find a better-performing, less smog-strangled, etc., drop-in-and-go (with tuning, naturally) solution.

I'm in the dark on this stuff, however, despite my previous experience. As I said from the start here I am "between worlds" in that it's not a straight carb setup (w/o "computers", "electronics", etc.) and it's not a straight black-box/chip reflashing fuel-injection situation.

But Lord willing and the creek don't rise my kid-glove driving style will keep her at least "no worse" (if that's possible) while I get this straightened out. Anyone in the market for a tired but "virgin" 307 V8 and four-speed automatic? Will consider trades...
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 455man
I've read other posts from the OP and it seems he is looking for a cheap motor to toss in a daily driver. If you use an olds motor you will have to get a different tranny because it will not bolt up to a chevy tranny. If I read it right you have a chevy 307 currently. Putting in a motor with a different cubic inch would mean some tweaking of the fuel injection system. Keep in mind that if you go to a carb then it will not run as good on the cold or hot days. You might have to change the air fuel mixture in extreme weather conditions. Without the smog crap on your motor you could increase the fuel economy and horsepower. Just depends on how much you can do yourself and how much you want to spend. Also the increased compression to 10:1 would require 91 octane fuel and in my state it costs about $.20/gal more.
A 307 in an 89 Custom Cruiser is most certainly an Olds 307, especially since it is carbbureted. The chevy engines were 305s, I can not recall ever seeing a SBC in a late 80's CC, but not saying it is impossible.

In all honesty, if you are going to pay for all the parts and labor, it may cost too much to justify, unless the car is in great shape.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

In all honesty, if you are going to pay for all the parts and labor, it may cost too much to justify, unless the car is in great shape.
I think she's worth it, and folks here DID say she had a fantastic rear end (tailgate window weatherstripping, anyway).

More proof? Mr. Padavano himself said she was "much cleaner than either my 84 or 86 as a starting point."

*blush*

Who can argue with that?...
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM

I think she's worth it, and folks here DID say she had a fantastic rear end (tailgate window weatherstripping, anyway).

More proof? Mr. Padavano himself said she was "much cleaner than either my 84 or 86 as a starting point."

*blush*

Who can argue with that?...
That is great, love to see those wagons get new life. But, a used running 350 is what, $350?? Labor close to a grand? You might have to sell it to me!
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM

A 307 in an 89 Custom Cruiser is most certainly an Olds 307, especially since it is carbbureted. The chevy engines were 305s, I can not recall ever seeing a SBC in a late 80's CC, but not saying it is impossible.

It is impossible unless someone other than GM put it there. As a matter of fact, after 1986, and until the new 91 bodystyle came out, the Olds 307 was the sole powerplant for all GM "B" body wagons. The 87-90 Caprice, Safari, Custom Cruiser, and Estate Wagons all had it. And a 350 or 403 swap would be very feasable. An earlier 1968-76 350 would be even better. I have almost 500,000 miles on my 74, and it hasnt been apart yet. Runs well, no smoke or knocks, just down on power to what it used to have. You can also install a 64-67 330 in there. Use a 75-80 "non computer" HEI out of a 260,350, or 403,or a 1980 307. All are high nickle blocks with very good long term bore wear. Your "slack" when putting in gear may not be in the tranny. Did you see if the rear end or u-joint have a lot of play? Just some ideas. Good luck with your car.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by goatwgn
It is impossible unless someone other than GM put it there. As a matter of fact, after 1986, and until the new 91 bodystyle came out, the Olds 307 was the sole powerplant for all GM "B" body wagons. The 87-90 Caprice, Safari, Custom Cruiser, and Estate Wagons all had it. And a 350 or 403 swap would be very feasable. An earlier 1968-76 350 would be even better. I have almost 500,000 miles on my 74, and it hasnt been apart yet. Runs well, no smoke or knocks, just down on power to what it used to have. You can also install a 64-67 330 in there. Use a 75-80 "non computer" HEI out of a 260,350, or 403,or a 1980 307. All are high nickle blocks with very good long term bore wear. Your "slack" when putting in gear may not be in the tranny. Did you see if the rear end or u-joint have a lot of play? Just some ideas. Good luck with your car.
Hmmmm, couple of things.
"And a 350 or 403 swap would be very feasable."
I agree

330s are fine engines, but none had hardened seats, some had too high compression for current fuel, all are 45 years old. Not sure that is a viable option.

68-70 350s, no hardened seats, 40 years old. 9 to 1 cr fine, 10.25 to 1 not so much.

71-72 same Cr as 73-76, no advantage IMO.

73-76, the best option, IMO. Decent Cr, hardened seats, plenty of relatively low mileage engines available.

77-79 An option, cheap and plentiful, but not the best.

Why use a "non-computer HEI" on a computer controlled vehicle? Ditching the ECM will result in a BUNCH of headaches.

The whole "high nickel" thing has pretty much been de-bunked.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM

330s do have too high compression, unless you rebuild it and dish the pistons out more, likely wont find 330s anyway. The idea of the higher nickle-should have been more specific. All Olds engines have higher nickle than the Chevy blocks that were being discussed. And If your inspections allow, It would be simpler using the older 350s to ditch the computer. I used to do this on several early "80s" cars I installed older engines into for people (back in the late 80's). Cars were a lot more responsive and ran cooler. Would be easier not installing all the A.I.R. pump hardware on the older (pre 77 engines) as well IMO. Any older engine you install will have to have the quadrajet arm bracket modified to use the TV cable for the 2004R transmission (controls all line pressure and shift points) as well. Older ones the downshift was controlled by a detent cable (TH 350) or a switch (TH 400). Those were located next to the gas pedal and not the carb on 64-74 models. You will also have to plug up or otherwise eliminate the feedback pipe on the catalytic convertor.

Last edited by goatwgn; January 21st, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM

I'm hoping this engine is easier to source than something like a power antenna (which I CANNOT find, at least locally) as the 350 seems to have been in everything GM made back then at some point.

Thanks,

Drew
I asked at our local GM dealer and they said that the power antenna for my 89 caprice was still available but it cost about $250.00.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM

nice looking wagon .
Why not go with an early ,rebuilt 307 or a 350(olds).More qualified than I will tell you whether your trans will hold up to a 350.Maybe what you are looking for is a "mild" 350
I see one is being offered here (300hp) and its a turnkey REAL BONUS--
if you are not super "car inclined" and in a kind of hurry.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM

Kinda exactly why he should buy a ready to run motor & trans combo.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Kinda exactly why he should buy a ready to run motor & trans combo.
Got one? I'm starting to think I should do the swap sooner rather than later as I'll have far fewer options regarding my original 307 if the inside bits decide they want out in what engineers call "unplanned energetic disassembly"...
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM

I just sent you the PM finally.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM

You could really mess with some people and put a 394 in there. But honestly, a 350 would be a pretty good engine for the car.