1956 324 V8 fuel pump interchange

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2020, 08:17 AM

1956 324 V8 fuel pump interchange

The dual-action fuel pump in my '56 Super 88 is disconnected and has been long enough that it is on its second electric fuel pump (I know because they never removed the first one when they installed the second one). I suspect that being run with the ports open for that long has done it no favors. The electric pump seems to be contributing to a flooding issue, so I'd prefer to go back to a mechanical pump.
I know I can get a rebuild kit, but I don't need the dual-action vacuum pump as I'm going with electric wipers, so I was hoping there was a pump from a later engine that fits and is more readily available.

Anyone put a later pump on this motor?
Old December 27th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Oldsdruid

Unless a 57-58 371 pump fits, I don't know. Tedd Thompson or Charlie Jones might have an answer.

Can you rebuild what you have and just cap the fuel pump vacuum port? Or keep the wiper vacuum line and disguise it. There'd be no engine vacuum leak and you might find another use for that vacuum source.
Old December 27th, 2020, 08:40 AM

If I can't find an interchange I'll try rebuilding it. My concern is the condition of the pump internals after having the ports open to the elements for years. If I can avoid the whole issues by buying a pump it'll save cost & hassle.
Old December 27th, 2020, 09:35 AM

The issue and the reason I don't know is you jump two block changes to get to a era that doesn't have a duel styled fuel pump and vacuum pump combined. I don't know if the foot of the fuel pump will reach the cam lobe the same as in a 324. The cam numbers are different. but maybe close enough to work, I just don't know.

On your original pump I don't think there is anything that is in a rebuild kit that isn't replaced that would be effected by the open vacuum lines, it's not that bad of a job really. I would rather do a fuel pump any day than a carburetor. My car has open vacuum lines that go to no where for the judges to see but have no function as I have electric wipers also. If you decide to go that way there are a few tricks that will save you time and grief but it is pretty straight forward and Utube is your friend or just ask before hand and we will help. .... Tedd