Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Ever feel like Rodney Dangerfield?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:57 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Ever feel like Rodney Dangerfield?

Hello Everyone,
This site and several others can be a wealth of information and support for many people with different reasons, but it seems that once someone takes the time to share their knowledge and solve problems for other members there is no further update or even a Thank You for helping!

I enjoy sharing my experence and helping others but this is becoming annoying. Seems people will respond to someone who has a wisecrack or non important chatter and then forget about the members who helped them with the real problem.

I feel if someone can take the time to help you in turn should at the very least post that your problem is solved or not!!

Its my 2 cents and now i'm broke...LOL
Good Luck Everyone!!
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:00 PM

Yeah, happens everywhere. I hate searching archives of any site and finding a bunch of detailed responses for a similar problem I have, only to find the thread just ends with no resolution.

I try to always post a resolution, if nothing more than to help future "searchers". hehe
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:03 PM

I don't think you should be offended, nor have your feeling hurt because you do not receive replies to any advise or suggestions that you share on this site. People are busy living their lives and often a personal "Thanks" to a faceless person offering advise (both very good......and bad) can be overlooked for more pressing things. I have provided good insight several times on subjects that I am confident in and never gotten any acknowlegment for my post. I do not get offended though. Assuming that you are not posting in the pursuit of praise and adulation I would suggest that you continue to share any known good information with fellow enthusiasts provided that you find a sense of joy helping others!!
Oh yeah....Thanks so much for your help!!!!!
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM

No thanks required,but is is nice to know if problem was resolved and what the fix was.
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:16 AM

And also the complementary cheezeburger, fries and vanilla shake
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:08 AM

I agree. It's common courtesy to thank someone for helping you and that should go for forums as well. An update on the fix is helpful to others that may be experiencing the same problem too. It's all about manners.
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:24 AM
Administrator

I agree, it does not take much time!! Not for the thankyou just to know if the problem was resolved and what the solution was.
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:38 AM

I don't feel all threads fall into this category as I have seen and received several responses where a thanks was extended or the person who posted the thread informed everyone of the resolution. But I also see many where this doesn't happen. Since this site is about everyone sharing their knowledge and experiences to assist others with preserving their Oldsmobiles, I feel it would be beneficial to have the person who posted the problem let others know how the problem was resolved. This way everyone gains insight into this type of thing should it ever arise again. If anyone is posting information with the sole intent of receiving praise then disappointments will be common. It never hurts for someone to be courteous and extend a thanks and this would be welcome especially since we as a society seem to have shifted away from common decency.

My 2 cents.
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM

My experience on these boards has been nothing but positive, and I thank all who have offered their experience and knowledge. As I move on into my 2nd half century of life, I try not to take all things at face value. People are busy, sometimes forgetful, and I don't take offense at such. I do agree that a follow-up response can benefit everyone, and save a lot of time and effort doing further research. That being said, a thank you or other acknowledgement is icing on the cake. Chumley