Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

how ** NOT ** to pay for parts ordered !!!

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Lightbulb how ** NOT ** to pay for parts ordered !!!

NEVER send money/check/card # UNLESS you have ordered before . get HOME phone # (NO cell phones) . NO PO BOX addresses. ship COD to start with. only one or two low price items ( their " in good shape" ) may be from JUNK to like new ! . I GOT SCREWED !! . DONOT become a sucker like ME. and yes iam STILL looking for the same parts !! ONLY HONEST ones e-mail or call . THANKS !!
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Bummer to hear that you got scammed.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Scammed by someone on here?
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Bummer - that happens to all of us at some point or the other. I am very curious to know by who - PM me if needed.

If you used a credit card, call them and file a dispute. They can reverse the charges until you are happy. With other methods, it is always a chance. I got scammed a few times, but luckily for very small amounts. Those times were all from ebay.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
One of None W-31

I second Rob's motion on the credit card dispute (if that's how you paid).
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM

I would add

Anyone who uses the Phrase "God Bless" run from.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:12 PM
this is not my car lol

bob, we all have been taken by someone, sometime in our lives. sometimes they dont live very far away...

hell, i lost $20,000 and she used to sleep right beside me. (/off topic)
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Yea, we have all been taken and I think it is because we expect people to be as up front as we are. I ordered some boxed arms and sway bar just to find the boxed arms were rotted beyond use and a couple other items where it was stated that the wires that were included were in great shape just to find they were burnt...

Anyways sorry to hear about it and the best lessons are usualy the hard ones...Heck I am dealing with maybe a bum trans and still sorting out a tilt column

There are some guys on here that are good parts resources and just good guys
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by scubastever
bob, we all have been taken by someone, sometime in our lives. sometimes they dont live very far away...

hell, i lost $20,000 and she used to sleep right beside me. (/off topic)
Some may say you got away cheap!
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I would add

Anyone who uses the Phrase "God Bless" run from.
I think that guys name is Bob too?

Most people here will ship the parts and let you check them out before payment if you're a regular.
Just deal with John/2blu442 and you'll be safe.
I expect the worse when getting evilbay parts, the sellers just plead ignorance and claim to know nothing, no detailed description, fuzzy or strategicallly taken pics, "I never said it didn't fall off a building?".
When I sell on evilbay Stevie Wonder would know exactly what it looks like and could draw you a picture from the description, lots of macro pics.
It can be brutal but people appreciate the honesty and pay for it.
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM

It is time to start a "do not buy" list.
One thing to add, always get a photo first. If they can not afford a digital camera, they can not afford a computer to be online trying to sell.
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:56 PM

I've recently been scammed too...
Someone got my credit card info and charged away!
I pretty much only use this card for buying parts online so who knows where I went wrong.
The sad part is...whoever used it was charging it all to a dating website!
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I like the do not by list..
Jaymann, well you know as well as I do that love is not free, and neither is getting rid of it lol

Sorry to make light of your card theft but I could not resist
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I expect the worse when getting evilbay parts, the sellers just plead ignorance and claim to know nothing, no detailed description, fuzzy or strategicallly taken pics, "I never said it didn't fall off a building?"
I was burned there for the last time. PERFECT picture but looked like road debris when i got it. Luckily just 30 bucks, about the same for a bad cheap date...

Originally Posted by hamm36
It is time to start a "do not buy" list.
One thing to add, always get a photo first. If they can not afford a digital camera, they can not afford a computer to be online trying to sell.
I am all for this. No pics, no deal.

Originally Posted by jaymann
I've recently been scammed too...
Someone got my credit card info and charged away!
Luckily here you have recourse - file disputes ASAP with the card co and change the number. Most you should be liable for is 50 bucks.
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Pay with a postal money order.

Then, if you get screwed, file a case.
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:10 AM

I like the concept of a do not buy list, but think we would need to be careful of sour grapes foolishness and would need a method of policing it to avoid any honest persons reputation being harmed. As I recall this was discussed some time back with no good ideas as far as how to proceed goes. think last time it was a seller bring it up who intended well and was having trouble settling issues with a difficult buyer, so would seem to me we would be creating a monster of a system that would likely still be relatively ineffective at best. I anything were to be done I would lean towards singing praises about the guys you had good dealings with and word tends to spread here. seems like mostly a good crop in the soil here so to speak, but been a bit spotty elsewhere. Just my thoughts so take em or not as you see fit.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Thank you all for comments . real good ones to follow !! .In my case a cashier check from my credit union was sent by me by registered mail. As it turns out the seller had NO parts but did "see some" a month ago !. YES "I as in ME " should been wise enough to ask more ???'s !!. Next time I will . Again THANK 'S to all the comments . WE LIVE AND LEARN even a little late !. ( still need 1964 rt ft fender " dynamic 88 "script ) . bob s .
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Past Administrator

Bob, if you haven't already (I haven't checked your other posts) then put up a thread in the 'parts needed' forum and see if we can help you out. Good luck!
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:47 AM

I was surprized how a credit card dispute got the ball rolling for me. A small muscle car parts store near Chicago never planned on refunding my $175.00 on a return that was their mistake. They would put me on hold, not return my calls, the message mailbox was full, it was very frustrating. Infact they never even responded until after the 45 day waiting period after the dispute. By then it was too late, I got my money back. Man that felt good!!!
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Is there something in the water in the middle of the country that parts suppliers are just as Bad As Politicians with their stories or is it just my bad luck??
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:28 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
Is there something in the water in the middle of the country that parts suppliers are just as Bad As Politicians with their stories or is it just my bad luck??
You got water in the middle of your country
(we got red dirt)
I've been lucky. So far I've sent around $60,000 to the States for 3 cars and I got 3 cars back. That said only the last one was really as described.
I've used evilBay nearly 200 times and only got burned once (by a Canadian.....very out of character) and that was only $15.
I'm doing business with a C.O regular on a part at the moment and everything is going smoothly.
I think the "beware" forum or site is a good idea. Need to be careful how it's constructed and the wording. Don't want any lawsuits.
I wouldn't think we'd be crossing the line if it was a "I wasn't happy with my last transaction" forum. We're entitled to provide feedback on "customer service".
I would certainly refer to it before making a blind purchase as all mine have to be.