Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Search box on every forum page

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Search box on every forum page

I notice when starting a new thread on a subject because I can't find it discussed in any forum, I get a "Similar threads" list at the bottom of the thread. I'm guessing this is accomplished via a search engine which automatically picks key words out of the Title box. Using this engine hooked to a search box to allow us to find these threads before we go and start a new one would eliminate many new thread postings. Most of the recent new threads I've started have had the answer I needed somewhere in the vast archives of the forums. The most recent example is my thread about rear coil spring rates and the "Similar threads" first link from 2009 had all the information I needed. You would also have to reinstate the participants from the original link in case someone's entire question wasn't answered and they wanted to post a 'quick response' in the form of asking for more information.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bobac455
I notice when starting a new thread on a subject because I can't find it discussed in any forum, I get a "Similar threads" list at the bottom of the thread. I'm guessing this is accomplished via a search engine which automatically picks key words out of the Title box. Using this engine hooked to a search box to allow us to find these threads before we go and start a new one would eliminate many new thread postings. Most of the recent new threads I've started have had the answer I needed somewhere in the vast archives of the forums. The most recent example is my thread about rear coil spring rates and the "Similar threads" first link from 2009 had all the information I needed. You would also have to reinstate the participants from the original link in case someone's entire question wasn't answered and they wanted to post a 'quick response' in the form of asking for more information.
The main menu bar, which is at the top of the page right below the Classic Oldsmobile banner, has a search pulldown menu. It's available on every forum page.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks Joe. It is such a great web site. I should have known it was there somewhere. I just tried it and it helps a lot.