Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Please do not upgrade to VBulletin 4.0

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Please do not upgrade to VBulletin 4.0

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. There has not been talk about upgrade, but a new VBulletin 4.0 has come out (VBulletin is what makes the forums look how they do, act how they do, etc, for those non-computer savvy users) and it is garbage. Eventually, support for VBulletin 3.7.5 (Our current software) will be terminated, in effort to convince site administrators to upgrade.

Thusly, I request that the upgrade not be done, or put off for as long as possible. If you would like a demonstration as to how terrible the new software is, cruise on over to the Vintage Computer Forums, where I am a member, and have been since '06 (I'm found as Yzzerdd there as well). http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

That is the new 4.0 software. It's buggy for registered users, and looks much different than 3.7.5. Believe it or not, the Vintage Computer forums used to look just like our forums. Now, with the new software, they have become a bubbly and unarranged mess, barely recognizable. I thought I messed up on the web address and got one of those fake parodies of a web page.

--Ryan
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:49 AM
Registered

This site isn't owned or controlled by anybody here, Omicron is the site administrator if you want to see if he knows anything.
Classic Olds as well as a lot of other sites are owned by by Internet Brands who in turn own V Bulletin, they run the place. You can't be biting the hand that feeds you.
I don't know if we'll have any choice about switching over if they want to do it?
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

Every time that I sign on to the Administrator CP (which is daily) I get all those announcements for upgrades. The problem is this, I am not registered to make any of those changes, I mentioned it to Paul once and he said we don't worry about that so I don't. As Blue said, IB are the ones that will decide to do it or not, apparently they have decided to "NOT" so far.....
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:06 AM
Registered Abuser

I have been on boards where the style has changed. It does take a little getting used to. Perhaps the problem on the vintage-computer site is that you are all using Commodore 64's to render the page.

10 print "LOL"
20 goto 10
run
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Delta
I have been on boards where the style has changed. It does take a little getting used to. Perhaps the problem on the vintage-computer site is that you are all using Commodore 64's to render the page.

10 print "LOL"
20 goto 10
run
I remember when the first guy at our work got one of those, he was the envy of everyone.
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:59 AM

LOL! Someone else on here knows BASIC! I've never been too fond of the C64, but I do have a VIC-20. I'm more into the early PC's and early Mac's. The Apple II's are cool, too.

Well, I was unaware no one here controlled the forums. At the VC forums, the site administrator, Erik, is also a member. Well crap. If the owners of this site also happen to own VBulletin, I guess it's inevitable.

--Ryan
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM

I know BASIC... The sad part is that I remember it more than C+...
I have a Timex Sinclair, and its replacement, the TI-99. Talk about ancient...

Hopefully the format does not change drastically. If so, many users will bail, including myself if it turns annoying or requires changes to my pcs.