Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

this site is frustrating,,,why?

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Membership Revoked by Admin

this site is frustrating,,,why?

i find it very difficult to navigate,,,too much clutter&way to many forums..its slow,,very very slow. i rarely come on here&each time i do i ask myself why..i think i'll just give up..i get kicked out four or five times in about 20 minutes..you have to type very slow or the words get all screwed up. if there is a link to a pic, i cant get back without signing back on. and why do you need a reason to edit your post? does anyone care?
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Site works super fast for me. I have NEVER had any issues with this site. Whatever issues you are having are prob on your end.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Running fine on the performance issues,You must have some setting issues? Cookies enabled? etc..........The site seems to run faster than most forum types I visit........
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Olds-Can

super fast to me also!!!
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Site is not difficult at all...

Originally Posted by gmrocket
i find it very difficult to navigate,,,too much clutter&way to many forums..its slow,,very very slow. i rarely come on here&each time i do i ask myself why..i think i'll just give up..i get kicked out four or five times in about 20 minutes..you have to type very slow or the words get all screwed up. if there is a link to a pic, i cant get back without signing back on. and why do you need a reason to edit your post? does anyone care?
Actually the forums are rather well arranged, and does have an effective search tool.
Speed? This site can take pretty much everything I can throw at it. I'm not a fast typer, but if it can handle my 63 wpm, I don't know why you have to type slow. It also uploads my pics and URLs fairly quickly even during peak usage.

Are you on remote dial up? Is your computer running at optimum performance? BIGJERR makes a really good point about this. If you have a new computer and you're still having issues with the site I would suggest 2 things:

1. Check with your service provider and explain the problem, it may be your connection and/or transfer rate.
2. Contact "Omicron" on this site. He is an administrator and is particularly knowledgeable about computers and system security. He would likely be able to answer your questions more accurately that most of rest of us.

Links to pics are pretty universal. If you get kicked off when you try to return to the site, it's not the CO website that did it. It's because you closed the web browser instead of using the back arrow?

The site will time out if you haven't used it for about 15 minutes, but most sites do that.

As far as editing goes, do you need to leave a reason that you edited it? No. Most of us do that just to let others know if something important needed to be added or deleted. It's not essential to leave a reason for edit though and the change will be saved. FYI, you are the only one who can edit what you posted - no one else has access to edit your post.
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM

Are you still on dial up?
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:09 AM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Site works super fast for me. I have NEVER had any issues with this site. Whatever issues you are having are prob on your end.
X2 on that!! I'm a computer neophyte,and even when I screw something up here,I can get back up-and-running superfast.The "tech guru" mentioned in one of these replies to your post was VERY helpful in quickly getting back to me when I accidentally deleted my access privileges.
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Land Yacht Captain

If you are having issues with the speed you type at that is 100% your computer. The information you type into a reply is not even sent to the website until you click the post button. So any lags in any fields where you are typing would be caused by your computer & not the website itself.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM

No issues with speed, unless I am using dialup. To keep from having to relog in, make sure you check the "remember me" box next to the password box. Also, cookies have to be enabled for you to do so.
If your typing is impaired, then you PC is busy doing something else - possibly unneeded. Even with dialup your typing should not be slowed.
Once logged in, use the search feature - it works well. There are many forums and they are grouped pretty well. It was a mess for me long ago but now i am used to it.
Have your PC checked out...
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I am on slow dial-up 26k on a good day and have never had the problems that you are describing.
Larry
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Most of the time, unless I'm looking for something specific, I just navigate the forums from the New Post link at the top of the page. If you're logged in it will give you all the new messages since the last time you visted on every forum that's on the site.
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by kartmaster
Most of the time, unless I'm looking for something specific, I just navigate the forums from the New Post link at the top of the page. If you're logged in it will give you all the new messages since the last time you visted on every forum that's on the site.
What he said
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Land Yacht Captain

X2
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Sounding like a keystroke virus of some type..
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM

i'm on high speed and dont have any problems with other sites, just this one,,thats why i thought the problem was here. if i type regular speed spaces&words are not the way they should be. its seems to have a split second delay or hickup that causes this. you guys really dont think its cluttered up with too many forums?? why have big block&small blocks seperate etc..its engine tech&really not enough info to be seperate. i guess i just like things simple&i dont find this place very simple
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Past Administrator

We contemplated a long time on the forum composition recently and addressed the pros and cons of few sub-forums vs many sub-forums. We decided many was more appropriate for us, so far this has served us well. It sure makes it easier when someone is searching for a particular solution to a particular need. You must type really fast...
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
olds..older..oldest

Extenuating circumstances

I can remember back in high school,trying to type an essay[while under the influence of the "seductive Mary-Jane"]. It was about "WAR and PEACE". Got a bit side-tracked with all the intricacies of the Peace movement...it was SO beautiful...and then the ugliness of War...reminded me of a fight in grade school...and then the typewriter was kind of "singing"...and why not just THINK the words onto the page....and Wow!! I could REALLY use a pizza and a bag of Oreo's...zzzzzzzz
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM

im a machineist and somewhat new to the internet,, i first started typing 3 years ago and love this site it works great and is super fast compaired to v8 buick i had a 63 buick lesabre and was reserching alot about nailheads .....love the site keep up the good work guys and gals
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I just hit new posts and start wading thru what I have interest in or knowledge of.........
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Speed is fine, and the forums have yet to crash. But the forum arrangement is way too specialized. Too many separate forums for my taste.
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Cutlass Lover

I haven't had any problems, and if I do, someone is always willing to say how to fix it! I use my lap top all the time with my wireless connection.
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by TK-65
Speed is fine, and the forums have yet to crash. But the forum arrangement is way too specialized. Too many separate forums for my taste.
I agree. The best way I have found around it is the new posts button and open what i think I need to
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM

And use today's posts also.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by TK-65
ah ha..exactly. as an example you'll find identical engine questions under quite a few forums...like general discussion, tech&referance, engine&transmission and also tech editors??? if its so great why cant people find "one" forum for the same question?? its because it can go in anyone of them because its vague.

you'll find transmission questions under tech&referance, trans&drivetrain, general discussion&tech editor?? again, way to many places to ask the same question.

why seperate big&small block?? you have to switch forums to get all the tech?? they are V8's and 99.9% of the tech applies to both

all i'm trying to say is unless you visit this site on a daily basis&scan every forum, you have to sift through many forums &pages &pages of stuff to get what should be in one place.

if a some had a question on a 37 straight six, where would it go??

as it is it couldnt go in the big or small block forum..maybe tech? maybe general? heck, why not ask the tech editor? if there was a forum called "engine" it would have to go there. maybe someone with a big block could help answer the question...get it
just because the site has many many many...did i say many forums, doesnt make it "better" its cumbersome&good info is easily missed

Last edited by gmrocket; October 19th, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: k
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM

I both agree and disagree. There are to many forum catigories to normally look through, so I also use the new post button to keep up with the day to day posts. But haveing all the specialized sub forums is also fine because when I do need to come back in to research a particular item then it is nice to look for certain things that way. The site also has plenty of speed.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I think if you can't figure out what forum a post belongs in thats more of a user problem & not a forum layout issue. As far as posts being put in the wrong area goes thats something that moderators should be taking care of & moving posts to the correct locations.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You can't please all the people all the time and some of the people you can never please. I think the adminstrator and the moderators do a great job here and my hat is off to them. I think anybody is at liberty to start their own board or go to another one if they think this one is so bad. I have been a member here for about 3 years and have seen this board grow considerably in that time. This is the first time I have seen anybody complain. In business, that would be darn good customer satisfaction. Keep up the good work guys. It is appreciated by many.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
I both agree and disagree. There are to many forum catigories to normally look through, so I also use the new post button to keep up with the day to day posts. But haveing all the specialized sub forums is also fine because when I do need to come back in to research a particular item then it is nice to look for certain things that way. The site also has plenty of speed.
see, another one that thinks thee are way to many forums&sub forums. maybe there are quite a few more but just dont say anything because they dont want to ruffle any feathers...if so then they should remove the "site suggestions" forum
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You can't please all the people all the time and some of the people you can never please. I think the adminstrator and the moderators do a great job here and my hat is off to them. I think anybody is at liberty to start their own board or go to another one if they think this one is so bad. I have been a member here for about 3 years and have seen this board grow considerably in that time. This is the first time I have seen anybody complain. In business, that would be darn good customer satisfaction. Keep up the good work guys. It is appreciated by many.
no complaints?? check out what one on the moderators thinks. i think he says its "disorganized"
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
70' W-30 Convertible

In my opinion the Forums are layed out pretty well. The multiple categories allow for scalability as the site grows larger, and more granularity for efficient searches and placement of specific information. Also, if a person is only interested in a specific vehicle or topic, they don't have to sort through a lot of irrelevant information to get to what they are looking for.

Richard.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 442
In my opinion the Forums are layed out pretty well. The multiple categories allow for scalability as the site grows larger, and more granularity for efficient searches and placement of specific information. Also, if a person is only interested in a specific vehicle or topic, they don't have to sort through a lot of irrelevant information to get to what they are looking for.

Richard.
and thats exactly how usefull info is missed, you go to one specific forum looking for answers... when you should be looking all over the place here to find it...because..its all over the place.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM

This site is not frustrating

I really feel compaired to other Oldsmobile sites here at Classic Oldsmobile.com there is more helpfull members and carring people than the other sites I look at daily. I have referred people to this site from others due to lack of responses at others. I do not have a lot of knowledge about mechanical issues so I do look at a lot of the threads here to gain more knowledge. If someone like myself puts a question or a part in a wrong forum they help redirect it into the right one. As far as being slow I have never had that problem. Any site with a consistant turnover of new, and old members will have an inconsistancy of information and questions mixed into differant forums, but ClassicOldsmobile.com has enough carring moderators and members to help redirect new and veteran users to the right thread!
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Just A BaBy {:

seems to me your pc is infected !
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
seems to me your pc is infected !
ya, we figured that out. its only infected on here..on other sites its lighting fast.,so i'll have to live with it
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
70' W-30 Convertible

I see you were able to find my post

Richard.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM

. . . think i'll just give up..i get kicked out four or five times in about 20 minutes . . . if there is a link to a pic, i cant get back without signing back on.
I used to have this problem; I believe I fixed it by enabling cookies for this site specifically. . .
DW
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

gmrocket, while we appreciate your feedback, please bear in mind that first we're not trying to be like other forums, we're trying to be better. So we asked our members "How do you want it organized?" and with one or two exceptions, people wanted it more compartmentalized, with more forums, not less. That way if you have an engine problem you go to that area and go "ok I have a big block" so you search that subset of threads, rather than searching through literally double the threads in a single "general" engine forum. That same line of thinking taken to extreme would put everything engine related there, including problems, high performance mods, where to get parts, engine paint colors, and a gazillion other topics under 1 roof. It'd be like going to the library and having one gigantic room lined floor to ceiling with books, and no card catalog or computer guide you to your book. You can find it if you're patient, but MOST people will give up after a short period of searching and go elsewhere.

There is no perfect system for organizing forums, this is as close as it gets. I speak from experience too, having run many internet forums over the years and trying many different things.

And the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Once we put the new organization system in place in January (and it took literally weeks worth of work to do), we got a resounding THANK YOU from our members. Secondly, our membership growth rate increased as well. And the most telling factor of all is that once a new member joins they tend to stick around now, rather than leaving in frustration because they couldn't find what they were looking for that brought them here in the first place.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions or good suggestions on how to make things even better, please bring them to Dan (Oldsguy) or myself via PM and we'll see about implementing them. We're happy to have the feedback, but don't need a debate just for the sake of debating, especially when you realize all the work that went into making this site as nice as it is.

I look forward to your PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well said Paul. I think that most of us are in total agreement with your statements. This site is for the benefit of all, but it's really hard to cater to the needs of just one. Speaking on behalf of a lot of members who use this site, a huge THANK YOU to yourself, Dan and the other administrators who take on the job of keeping a sense of balance on these forums.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I realize everyone uses the forums differently, but this is such a non issue in my opinion. If you're looking for some specific information use the SEARCH feature. If you have a specific question post it in the most appropriate forum and be patient. If (hypothetically) it takes longer to get responses about a 37 straight six, consider it is because fewer folks are running them on this site, not that all the straight six/eight guys just never look in the small block forum and never see the post.

I run a computer repair business, and I hate to say it, but I use this site at work, and at home and have no issues with speed, and I'm a pretty quick typer. It's very unlikely that the sluggishness is on ClassicOldsmobile's end. If you're not staying logged in it's an issue with your cookies setting in your browser. Make sure there's not an exception that blocks all cookies from ClassicOldsmobile.com. Slow character input could be a Java issue, try updating to the latest version. Also if you have extra antivirus/spyware/phishing filters/firewalls on your computer it is possible that they are interfering with the operation of the site, while leaving others alone. When it comes to protection software I ALWAYS recommend a single quality application, over several different ones.

If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer any PMs. I'd hate to see somebody leave a great site just because their computer was on the fritz.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

So many helpful people here too... how cool is that?

Another thing that will help is just spending more time on the site. Some of the more graphics intensive pages will be slower to load the first time you visit the pages. But once you've been there, your browser (if set correctly) will locally cache the reoccurring images for everything from banners to buttons, and the pages will get faster and faster to render. This is because it finds the images it needs to build the page on your much faster local hard drive rather than downloading each of them via the internet.

On this same note, make sure your browser is set to cache images, if it's not, every time you go to load a page it'll have to load each image via the internet over and over again. When you consider your average page on a forum like this is made up of hundreds of images - yes, the "buttons" and menus and boxes and icons, and just about EVERYTHING but raw text is images - you can see how not caching images could slow things down a lot.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: this site is frustrating,,,why?