Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Can we find out who's from where ??

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:54 AM
...should get a life....

Can we find out who's from where ??

Just wondering (site administrator & tech guys might know) if it's possible to sort registered members by location??
It would be good to know who the Aussies are with Oldsmobiles so we could maybe form a sub-group and get something happening down here. There's not much here except an Olds Club (website would indicate that its more about 1950s & earlier cars) and the odd muscle car club.
Same might work for you guys, ie sort by State and suddenly theres a whole bunch of guys around the corner from each other with a shared interest.
Can it be done?
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
Registered

I don't know about making a list but other sites use Frappr map yourself type maps to show where members are if you haven't seen it before. You add yourself to the map and a virtual pin for your location is added and when you hover over it the info on the person comes up in a box or bubble. I thought there was one on here but it must have been another site, unless it's buried in old posts? They should be stickied so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

I'm no tech guy but here's the link, you have to set it up then you can import it to the website and everybody can put their pins/location & info (including a photo) in that wants too. It's a fast way to see where everybody is and how concentrated they are in areas. You may have to contact Omicron if something like that is done to see if it's cool.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=faq#gs_2
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM

That would be a very cool idea. Maybe Paul can get it set up for us!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Past Administrator

The map idea would be good because it would be more visual than simply a list. I do not think our data base can be searched in the manner you asked about but Jesse is correct, Paul would be the one who would know.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM

Over on the ROP I discovered that I had been talking with a guy who lives less than 4 miles from me He has an Olds powered Chevy truck.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

I think this is a cool idea, and I've seen it done before. The one drawback I know of is it's a PITA to maintain... but if we had a volunteer to do it, I'd be happy to help set it up.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Past Administrator

Well there you go, if Paul is willing to set it up I think it would be great. If anyone wants to volunteer go for it!
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Yep, we're going to need a volunteer here. I found a couple of alternatives, but don't have the time to further investigate, or implement, either one. Sadly I skate right on the edge of overload right now, and taking on something like this would badly push me over the edge. Anyway, here's what I've found:

On another site I run, check out this thread: http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=18382 . Basically a guy by the name of "East Moon" out of Japan has made it a mission of his to maintain this map, manually, by hand: http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/eastmoo...iew=t&.hires=t get this - since 2004 now! WOW can you say dedicated? Man clearly has a calling in life! Anyway if someone wants to do this, I'll be happy to hook you up with East Moon (who's a really nice guy) and I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how he set this up and maintains it. (In case anyone's interested, I'm Omicron on RX8Club too, and show up on the map in Colorado, as I also have an RX-8. )

Another alternative to the above manual process is something else I also found in that same thread, only at the tail end of it. Apparently another user "Bigbacon" found a tool here http://starshipvonbraun.com/rx8/gmap.aspx that at first glance looks like it might allow users to enter themselves on the map. If it works, that'd make the process SO much easier to maintain.

So - need a volunteer to look at this. Any takers?
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:26 AM
...should get a life....

I'm pretty much computer illiterate but happy to help out if someone can show me the way. The RX8 site map looks a little over-engineered for my liking, and little arrows pointing to locations can get messy. I'm thinking of something simple like a spreadsheet attached to the CO site. So you key in Ohio and there's your list of people from Ohio registered on the site. Doesn't have to be flash but we need to to be able to easily import the data from somewhere...and I'm thinking we've already got the data but in what format I do not know.
This is where the pointy heads come into play. I reckon its worth pursuing. I could have 10 blokes with Oldsmobiles living within a stones throw of here and I wouldn't know it.
On another score, I cannot believe my car is somewhere out on the Pacific Ocean right now and we've got Tsunamis hitting Samoa and Earthquakes centred out in the Pacific Islands and huge seas off the East Coast of Australia.
With my luck the Olds will be 5' long a 2' wide by the time it gets here...if it isn't washed overboard.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Captain of my ship

No worries about you car Col , those ships can handle big seas and tsunamis are only really destructive when they run into shallow water. I am sure your car is safe and sound
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Past Administrator

Col, hope your car makes it safe and sound. Let's cross our fingers and toes....
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mapping?

Originally Posted by Omicron
Yep, we're going to need a volunteer here. I found a couple of alternatives, but don't have the time to further investigate, or implement, either one. Sadly I skate right on the edge of overload right now, and taking on something like this would badly push me over the edge. Anyway, here's what I've found:

On another site I run, check out this thread: http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=18382 . Basically a guy by the name of "East Moon" out of Japan has made it a mission of his to maintain this map, manually, by hand: http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/eastmoo...iew=t&.hires=t get this - since 2004 now! WOW can you say dedicated? Man clearly has a calling in life! Anyway if someone wants to do this, I'll be happy to hook you up with East Moon (who's a really nice guy) and I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how he set this up and maintains it. (In case anyone's interested, I'm Omicron on RX8Club too, and show up on the map in Colorado, as I also have an RX-8. )

Another alternative to the above manual process is something else I also found in that same thread, only at the tail end of it. Apparently another user "Bigbacon" found a tool here http://starshipvonbraun.com/rx8/gmap.aspx that at first glance looks like it might allow users to enter themselves on the map. If it works, that'd make the process SO much easier to maintain.

Very interesting Paul. Couldn't understand a word of Japanese. But Bigbacons map was really helpful. If it's right, you live about 1/2 way down Emery between Longs Peak Ave and 8th Ave in Longmont? This map has some interesting versatility.
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:28 AM

Here you go guys I started a map for you.
http://platial.com/mapv/Classic+Oldsmobile/833028
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks for doing this - it's a neat thing!! I put myself on... somehow I got a blurry pic that I thought I deleted, but it's still there! I don't know how to get rid of it! LOL! So I have my "Gil the crab" pic, and a blurry pic on there! If someone knows how to get rid of the blurry one, go right ahead!
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I would be interested in this

Originally Posted by Omicron

I would be willing to give it a shot if you want, I help maintain another site called G3GM.com I am limey there if you wanna check it out sometime
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
...should get a life....

Well done! Seems to be a bunch of arrows in Ohio.
Do we know how to make changes / updates ? Like Sandy needs a new pic and I put Sydney in as home to see if it would work.....and it did (but I don't live in Sydney)
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Why not just make a dedicated forum for the Aussies to post in?? Not sure I would want a list where I input my exact location on a map. Some privacy issues there. At least with their own sub forum they could communicate regarding local topics and shortly be able to tell who is from where.
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM

i don't know much about computers but at 3 wheeler world, they have a map that is nice. if you don't want to put your marker on the map you don't have to. i am trying to find it and link to it but i can't find it. they changed the design of the site and now i can't find anything. i like the idea but also understand the privacy issue if someone don't want there marker on it.
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Do we know how to make changes / updates ? Like Sandy needs a new pic and I put Sydney in as home to see if it would work.....and it did (but I don't live in Sydney)

Ohio rules when it comes to Oldsmobiles.
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Wasted
Works like a charm! Looks like only 442much and me are the sole Oldsmobile owners up here in AB. That's a challenge to all you other guys up here....
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I'm coming out that way for the first week of March to do some teaching at NAIT. Will that count????
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I'm coming out that way for the first week of March to do some teaching at NAIT. Will that count????
Absolutely!! Us old Olds guys gotta stick together. BTW what are you teaching at NAIT?
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Land Yacht Captain

New model training for work.
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What kind of new models are they? Will they be wearing beachwear or formal gowns? I'd be interested if they were modeling for Victorias Secret. Course, that's no secret at all......If you got extra seat along the runway I'll bring along some seething bags of hormones that pass for buddies.
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Why not just make a dedicated forum for the Aussies to post in?? Not sure I would want a list where I input my exact location on a map. Some privacy issues there. At least with their own sub forum they could communicate regarding local topics and shortly be able to tell who is from where.
You don't have to put your exact location. You can just put your city or zip

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
I havn't figured out how to edit peoples profiles yet but, I can delete the one that says you live in Sydney and you can re-add yourself with the right location.
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:27 AM
...should get a life....

You don't have to put your exact location. You can just put your city or zip

I havn't figured out how to edit peoples profiles yet but, I can delete the one that says you live in Sydney and you can re-add yourself with the right location.
That would be great. I've already added the correct location so I'm showing up twice. If you delete my Sydney entry then I'll be who I am, where I am.
Cheers
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:36 AM
...should get a life....

Now is there a way we can get this added to the directory bar up the top of the screen, like maybe from the Members List index ??