Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Why is asking price mandatory 100% of the time?

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2018, 04:21 PM

Why is asking price mandatory 100% of the time?

I always want to see an asking price when I am looking at parts and cars in the for sale section but why can there not be an exception for when someone is posting that they are parting out a car and to contact them for requests? Are they supposed to list every single part of the car and a price for every single part? If it is a general "I am parting this out and send me a request" thread, why does it have to have a price? What is the difference if someone make the exact same post and just puts a $99999999 price on it? Is that going to be deleted also?

Like I said, I want a price on stuff as much as the next person but who cares when they are parting the car and to many parts to list them all.

Last edited by jensenracing77; July 27th, 2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old July 27th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Who make the rule? I wonder if it was made when this site started. Maybe you should have asked that the other day Eric.
Old July 27th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Administrator

It keeps the questions down to a minimum and takes the mind reading out of the transaction. If your parting a car, list some of the major parts and pricing, others will post interest in your other items. A $99999 price will lead to the deletion of the ad. This isn't craigslist or ebay.
Old July 28th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Listing a price for items helps. I have seen parts on here that had an extremely high price and for me, I won't waste my time. I variably, someone doesn't list a price, and the next post is "how much for...". From a buyers point of view, I want to see a price.
.............Just my two cents worth,.
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Not posting prices for a car being parted out makes sense to me. Listing a few major parts just seems like checking a box for sake of checking a box.

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I always want to see an asking price when I am looking at parts and cars in the for sale section but why can there not be an exception for when someone is posting that they are parting out a car and to contact them for requests? Are they supposed to list every single part of the car and a price for every single part? If it is a general "I am parting this out and send me a request" thread, why does it have to have a price? What is the difference if someone make the exact same post and just puts a $99999999 price on it? Is that going to be deleted also?

Like I said, I want a price on stuff as much as the next person but who cares when they are parting the car and to many parts to list them all.
Old July 30th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Jeff

Here's a way to avoid the "How much for... ?" posts, but this would rely on people following this rule: Send a PM for specific part inquires directly to the seller, instead of clogging up the thread with asking how much for this or that.

Since it's the interwebs, we all know how well people follow rules.
Old July 30th, 2018, 07:17 PM

Adding a few prices lets the people know if you are at Made of Gold, good value, let's move this stuff, buy it or going to the scrapper prices.

There's a guy on here, he lists one item per ad, which is fine, but his crap is higher than Gilderoy's kite. I enjoy seeing his price drops and may buy some stuff in a couple months once he gets down to earth.
Old July 30th, 2018, 07:44 PM

had to look it up …..

Gilderoy was an actual person.

Just when he was born isn’t certain or important; but he died, unmistakably, at Edinburgh, Scotland, in June, 1636.

His real name was Patrick MacGregor; the nickname “Gilderoy” came from his red hair, “Gillie roy,” a red-haired gillie, or red-haired laddie. But Gilderoy got into evil ways; he became a highwayman, and it was his proud boast that he had robbed Cromwell, picked the pocket of Cardinal Richelieu, and that he had hanged a judge.

In due course he, along with five of his companions, was apprehended and sentenced to be hung. So especially heinous were his crimes that, according to the legal custom of the period, the gallows erected for him was very high, far higher than those for his fellows.

“Kite” is a Gaelic word for “belly,” sometimes used figuratively for the entire body. So, referring to our phrase, for anyone to be hung or to be higher than Gilderoy’s body when it swung from the gibbet would mean that it would be exceedingly high.
Old July 31st, 2018, 07:56 PM

What also sucks is when people post rare NOS parts for sale and they get sucked up by a vendor only to be copied for repro (which may not be a problem) and relisted later at 6x the price. Never to go on a deserving car at a reasonable price, got to pay someone's business to play in this hobby....
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:31 AM
ph_ckstick1

Easy fix to all this, if the admin doesn't want to have to fish though for sale threads with a ton of post/replies is,make for sale area so threads can't be replied to, forcing the person to p.m. a seller. or the person looking for the part. easy peasy.
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:53 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
Easy fix to all this, if the admin doesn't want to have to fish though for sale threads with a ton of post/replies is,make for sale area so threads can't be replied to, forcing the person to p.m. a seller. or the person looking for the part. easy peasy.
Great idea!!