Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

the banner at the top of the page

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM

Talking the banner at the top of the page

how about ditching the horrid new style emblem in the banner!!! its the classic olds site not the cheaply built 90's crap site after all.

and maybe change the car on the right side of the banner with a picture of mine

you have a great site and the knowledgable people here have helped me greatly... i hope i speak for all the rooks here when i say "thanks for putting up with us!"
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM

My brother is pretty good with photoshop. If the mods agree to change the banner I can see if he'll make one.
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:54 AM
Past Administrator

We'll see, sounds like a reasonable idea.
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

You can change it? All the Internet Brands sites look like the banners are done by them and I figured the sites were stuck with them. It's not that bad, an old style rocket somewhere would be nice instead of the Nike swoosh rocket.
I can't figure out what that pattern across it is?.. houses?..land yachts steaming across the horizon?... trashed Oldsmobile timing gear teeth?
If you think this one is bad check out their Olds Forum banner.

http://www.oldsmobileforum.com/forum/

Last edited by Bluevista; April 1st, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

If you think this one is bad check out their Olds Forum banner.

http://www.oldsmobileforum.com/forum/[/quote]

Always wondered where the caddy fitted in on that site. Someone must not know the difference
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Registered

What does a person sitting at a PC in India designing the thing know about American cars?... look at the right side.
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by delta881972
not the cheaply built 90's crap
Not all of it is

Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM

I'm not a fan of the last Olds logo either, but I read in a 1998 sales brochure that it was supposed to resemble a sundial. Precise, reliable, etc... go figure.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:22 AM

Smile Gag me with a spoon

Ditch that logo!!..goofy thing looks like someones feeble attempt at drawing a circle and sneezing at the same time I like the '57 logo or the early '60's rocket...the later '80's rocket looks weird...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

If you guys want to create some prototype logos and post them up here, we'll pick the best one and see about getting it up to replace the existing one. Keep in mind the replacement needs to be the about same dimensions height wise and not much wider, and roughly the same color scheme. Here's the current one - have at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ClassicOldsmobile.jpg (25.0 KB, 39 views)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM

I'm partial to the picture of the 57 Olds staying the rest can be redone. As you can see I am a little bias on this issue
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by citcapp
I'm partial to the picture of the 57 Olds staying the rest can be redone. As you can see I am a little bias on this issue
Yup, I like it too. An I'd like to see a 442 on the opposite side of the page.

Seriously that'd be good. Replace the 90's Olds logo with the traditional "Rocket" Olds logo, and get a balancing car like a 442 on the right of the logo (expand it a bit to make room).
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM

(Seriously that'd be good. Replace the 90's Olds logo with the traditional "Rocket" Olds logo, and get a balancing car like a 442 on the right of the logo (expand it a bit to make room)

I agree that would make a great banner
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
car guy

True story....

When I first found this place I almost did not stop because of that logo. Its the first thing I saw and it led me to believe this place was geared toward late model FWD stuff that I personally could care less about.

Only after I clicked the back button did see the car in the corner and stayed to check out the site.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Past Administrator

Wow. Glad you did stay. Imagine this would be more difficult but if the car were a slide show of vehicles covering members' rides or just generic Oldsmobiles throughout the decade it would be nice.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM

I'm definitely down for designing something. Used to do some graphic design work on the side for extra spending $.

I was thinking of incorporating some of the same or similar fonts used in Olds ads back in the 60's and early 70's (the high point in graphic design, in my opinion) for the lettering and a little more bold of a design--to make it really pop. I'll also incorporate a more vintage Olds emblem.

Feel free to shoot me any pics of ideas, if you guys want to, at my e-mail.
therockandroll66@yahoo.com
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Oh, also, I'm not sure if anyone has maximum dimensions for the banner, but that'd be helpful.
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 68Tom
I'm definitely down for designing something. Used to do some graphic design work on the side for extra spending $.

I was thinking of incorporating some of the same or similar fonts used in Olds ads back in the 60's and early 70's (the high point in graphic design, in my opinion) for the lettering and a little more bold of a design--to make it really pop. I'll also incorporate a more vintage Olds emblem.

Feel free to shoot me any pics of ideas, if you guys want to, at my e-mail.
therockandroll66@yahoo.com
Sounds like a plan.

I was thinking about the 50's ads.
I gave my daughter a few ideas and showed her some pics, here's a couple of rough things she came up with. Photoshop is like rocket science, I can put bigfoot in any pic but I use Adobe for dummies.

Rob and Rich will want the one, got Rob's shadow off Lady too.

3412255011_c2f8675b53_o.jpg

3412254893_e697e16e26_o.jpg

3413059448_638ce83c57_o.jpg

3413059496_05a091d006_o.jpg

3413059324_b9fe1b2b7a_o.jpg
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Sounds like a plan.

I was thinking about the 50's ads.
I gave my daughter a few ideas and showed her some pics, here's a couple of rough things she came up with. Photoshop is like rocket science, I can put bigfoot in any pic but I use Adobe for dummies.

Rob and Rich will want the one, got Rob's shadow off Lady too.

Attachment 5194

Attachment 5195

Attachment 5196

Attachment 5197

Attachment 5198
I LOVE that last one. Just what I had in mind.... something for everyone! Now if we could get it the same basic colors as the current one (shades of light blue-ish) make it a bit wider to better fit the top of the page, and change the text to be ClassicOldsmobile.com we'd be done. SWEET!

I also like the idea of "Olds throughout the ages" perhaps the nose of a representative car from each decade arranged in a semi-circular pattern around the ClassicOldsmobile.com and the "Rocket" emblem?

Dimensions wise, the current banner is 754 pixels wide x 94 pixels high. The new one could stand to be a bit wider (I'm thinking the width of the topmost menu box) it could probably be as big as 900-910 pixels wide x 95-100 pixels high.
Attached Images
FavBanner.jpg (1.3 KB, 208 views)
TopBox.jpg (10.5 KB, 20 views)
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Registered Luser

What, no Vista Cruisers! How about a '57 Fiesta Wagon....no offense, but I kind of liked the first one! 50's and 60's advertising art is pretty cool!
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM

i like the last one but i love the first one. i vote for number one.

also the early 90's used the rocket and not the needle piercing the bubble.
i know that most people don't like the Quad 4 engine but i like them and it was still in the rocket category.
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
car guy

Where did the rest of my car go. She must have cropped it out.
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Registered

She said the door handle was missing but she can cut and paste one from another car.

I told my daughter you guys liked them and she said thank you very much.

I'll see about changing that one or just do another. What is the correct size? Same as the one there now?

If anyone would like to use anything feel free too.
Just trying to get ideas, I may have used up my artist for a while too, senior prom planning time I guess.

If the banner has car pics it will need a land yacht and at least one wagon.
They really should all be member's cars so post pics.
Primer grey Vista Cruisers okay??

Last edited by Bluevista; April 4th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM

The 3rd one (#5196) has my vote... and of course adding the web extension to Classic Oldsmobile (.com). Nice design work by the artist!
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM

Attachment 5198 Get my vote

Bluevista, You have a very talented daughter. Please thank her for me for her efforts.

I've always wanted an MBA from Wharton. How long would it take her to whip me up a diploma?
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Thanks Jamesbo.

I gave her the ideas and materials.
College diplomas are no problem, just need about 200 grand and four years.

I can do the simple editing now, got a quick lesson from #2 daughter and read the instructions.

I used the color from the present banner as Omicron sugested and went to the specified pixel size. Is it "ClassicOldsmobile.com" ? It is more a blue to grey gradient and I just put in the blue for now so the contrast isn't real good on the bottom, would a frame look better around it? I put in some drop shadows on the lettering and rocket emblem for contrast. I'll take all suggestions into consideration.
The emblem is dull looking, have to find a better pic to liberate from it's owner if it's kept. The saturation isn't very good either but that can be fixed I think.
Need more pics, a lot are really nice but have shadows and the tires disappear into them, keep the sun behind your back when taking pics.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/...9013cd80_o.jpg
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM

My firm has decided to punish me for heading back to AZ to work on my car by making me work the entire weekend, so I hope to have something to show within the next week. If I get out of here early today, I might try messing a bit with a few things.

Now, in the banner, do we want ClassicOldsmobile.com or do we want it as Classic Oldsmobile? It seems like we'd want the former, as that is what will draw people to the site, good for promotional items, etc.

Do we have a preference on colors? I might work on a few things that have a monochrome/photocopy effect, so picking one or two colors is not a bad idea.

Last, what years does this site encompass? 1901-2004?

Good work on the banners created. I like 'em.
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

Our fearless leader and site administrator Omicron says ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Also prefers the slate blue like the background. I just now noticed the grey color it has in the gradient matches the frames on the page.
Also said it could probably be as big as 900-910 pixels wide x 95-100 pixels high. Just a little too big to load here but it does accept photoshop documents, you would probably need photoshop to open and edit them though? The banner is in jpg format now.

I'm trying to incorporate the site member BIGJERR pic from the member's gallery, the phantom waterfall and the CN tower pics into the banner somewhere.

How many of you are immediately going to look for the BIGJERR pic?

I make sure it's still there every day, nice car.
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Amazing how such a simple idea is so brilliant.
Why didn't this come up a long time ago.
5198 tells a story better than the others, and therefore gets my vote.
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Registered Luser

Whatever you guys come up with is an improvement! Now if somebody had the know-how and will to come up with t-shirts we could buy!!
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Whatever you guys come up with is an improvement! Now if somebody had the know-how and will to come up with t-shirts we could buy!!
I have a cool one I just did with crayons for 5 dollars woof.

There's a Hippie T-shirt/head shop/adult novelty shop down the road that makes nice T-shirts, doesn't every town have one?
How about a flame orange tie-dye T-shirt with a flamed paint job rocket with Zoomie pipes blasting off with flames everywhere and vertical flaming ClassicOldsmobile.com lettering down the side, flaming furds and moparts being incinerated by the flaming blast underneath, hmmm...that actually would be cool. I'll put together a presentation.
I really want to make Vista Cruiser hats with clear plastic roof windows on the front and sides... and flames.

Have to make sure the shirts are American made or in ten years everybody you see in the TV news reports from third world countries will be wearing them. I still see "Where's the Beef?" and The Fonz "Ayyyyyy" T-shirts.
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I have a cool one I just did with crayons for 5 dollars woof.

There's a Hippie T-shirt/head shop/adult novelty shop down the road that makes nice T-shirts, doesn't every town have one?
How about a flame orange tie-dye T-shirt with a flamed paint job rocket with Zoomie pipes blasting off with flames everywhere and vertical flaming ClassicOldsmobile.com lettering down the side, flaming furds and moparts being incinerated by the flaming blast underneath, hmmm...that actually would be cool. I'll put together a presentation.
I really want to make Vista Cruiser hats with clear plastic roof windows on the front and sides... and flames.
I'd buy a couple of each!!!!
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Smile Heading for a conclusion to a title heading

Sorry I am late; forgot my password...I like the shape of the block letters of the word OLDSMOBILE on the top of the (late) Olds administration building in Lansing!!!
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM

Smile Slide right in!!

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Wow. Glad you did stay. Imagine this would be more difficult but if the car were a slide show of vehicles covering members' rides or just generic Oldsmobiles throughout the decade it would be nice.
The slide show sounds good, the member with the morphing '66? shows that feature off well...and using members' photos of course...on 5198??
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Sorry I am late; forgot my password...I like the shape of the block letters of the word OLDSMOBILE on the top of the (late) Olds administration building in Lansing!!!

More ideas and design choices the better.
I did see plain T shirts with that Oldsmobile building style lettering and a rocket emblem, just add the "Classic" above and voila! I talked to a person that worked at a shirt place and they said the cost all depends on how many colors they have to use/silkscreens, photos are also expensive.

Lettering Like this?

3009600235_0e9f8bb3ca.jpg
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:18 AM

5198 is my choice. time to put this to a vote?
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM

I was messing around on the computer last night, and actually got the Dr. Olds pic--see below to say "ClassicOldsmobile.com". As I don't have the font, I had to compile the letters from Oldsmobile & Machine one by one. I didn't have the time to properly set the letters on a curve, so I didn't send it out. In any event, it'd definitely be a good t-shirt.
DrOlds.jpg

As far as the banner is concerned, from a design standpoint, if we're changing the background color to blue/gray, then I'd definitely make the letters a more bold color such as black or white with a black outline. There's already enough colors in the different cars, and adding yet another to the mix will not help the site name stand out.

Additionally, if I had any time to do this, beneath the name in bold letters, I'd use the Futura font (used in '68 Olds ads for "See Your Oldsmobile Dealer") underneath the name of the site to have a sort of description tag such as "For an Olds entusiast of all years" or something like that so people immediately know what the forums about instead of almost losing potential members.

What do people think about the bold font used in either of these ads for the "ClassicOldsmobile.com" name?
Toroad.jpg

67ad.jpg

Anyway, thems my 2 cents. lol.

Last edited by 68Tom; April 6th, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Since this site caters to all Oldsmobiles, I really think it's be best if we stuck to banners that have more than one car... as 68conv455 says above, it "tells the story" better than the single car ones.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...fe1b2b7a_o.jpg

Really like this one, just noticed it.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

More good ideas to consider. I've been having fun with photoshop. The Impact font was the closest I have to the Olds font, the later thin type is Modern font on mine, no Futura in the ones they give you with photoshop?
I resized the one black background banner and put a different rocket in, goofed with the lettering. I can do another with a blue background to match the page, seems to be the favorite so far.
I made one with several cars and a blue background to see what it would take, maybe the lettering should be black?? Some of the cars are not members, went through all the galleries and there isn't a lot that can be used. Most of the good pics are in posts and almost impossible to find. The Toro and '69 Hurst/Olds are messed up, not from here along with the red convertible and Vista Cruiser.
The cars are a bear to edit but once they're cut loose it's fun to drive them around the banner, I was really beating on Rob's 442.
I was trying some other stuff, did lettering in chrome around the globe emblem, could be a t-shirt if converted to a single color, be a neat clock face.
A slogan woud be cool, how about "These ARE your father's Oldsmobiles".

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/...117ba6fc_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/...d8f1c431_o.jpg

Oldsmoworld.jpg

Last edited by Bluevista; April 7th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: the banner at the top of the page