Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Increase image size limitations

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Runner

Increase image size limitations

Almost everyone has "high speed" connections now so can you let us upload larger file size images for posting and avatars (at least resolution).

Thanks
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I don't. I live out in middle of nowhere with dial-up. If I'm lucky 28k hook-up. I'm tired of everybody thinking you should have high speed and only catering to those who do.

Larry
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Past Administrator

We will discuss it and let you know.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Runner

I don't want to cause an argument or anything like that. This is purely a suggestion. The majority of people do have better then dial up and I do apologize to people who can not have better.

Do you cater to the majority, or the lower connections. One way to help dial up users is to maybe disable or set a lower priority to images being loaded:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7181539AAkmqQo
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM

Even my DSL is pretty slow by fiber standards. Not everyone wants to pay for fiber, though. I sure won't.
One thing to keep in mind, is that some threads (like my interior thread) loads up to 20 attached pictures per page. If every picture were full size at 1.2 megs, that will mean a while of waiting just to see the last bottom post.

Right now the forum software converts pics (less than 1.5Mb) to about 100kb, so i could not see to increase that by much. Doing so would require more storage space on the internetbrands server, which they most likely will not want to change anytime soon. The 100k pics it produces can still be quite large sized.

Now I COULD see the suggestion to make the forum software ACCEPT larger sized pictures (like up to 8 megs each even) and still be able to down convert them to 100kb-200kb each, which would not really affect the ones who are viewing on slower connections.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

I don't know about avatars but the sig pics are pretty good size and if you want larger pics you can link to an offsite server like Flickr or Photobucket and use insert image.
The problem is when there are too many big pics attached the thread takes forever to load like Rob said. You can link to an album of pics on those photo hosting sites too.
If I want to attach pics here I downsize them to 640 x 480 and they're still pretty good sized and load okay.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Land Yacht Captain

The reason most forums don't allow large picture uploads is not just for download speeds. They take up a lot of space on the server & use a lot of bandwidth. Both of which are not free.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
The reason most forums don't allow large picture uploads is not just for download speeds. They take up a lot of space on the server & use a lot of bandwidth. Both of which are not free.
I pay $20 a year for hosting with unlimited bandwidth and space. I don't think that is the issue. I really would just recommend letting people make avatar sizes larger and maybe images to 300kb. I agree with allowing any images above 1MB would just be crazy, but under 100kb is a little steep.
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Any host thats giving its service away that cheap doesn't have much of a service to begin with!! There are many cheap hosts out there but they have no service staff and frankly don't have the bandwidth themselves to properly serve their customers.
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Runner

Any host thats giving its service away that cheap doesn't have much of a service to begin with!! There are many cheap hosts out there but they have no service staff and frankly don't have the bandwidth themselves to properly serve their customers.
Again, I'm not here to get in arguments about images sizes or webhost, I started the thread just to submit a suggestion (as the forum stated). I'm not the admin of this site and understand how its completely their decision.

But 66ninetyeightls, if you think that is a crazy deal, you should do more research. I have had hosting via dreamhost.com for years now and if you are patient enough, they have great deals of unlimited hosting for $20 (for 2 years actually). I've never had a problem, use them for all my sites and recommend them to all my clients too.

Admin, thanks for a great message board full of great resources and knowledge on Oldsmobile cars. No matter what you chose to do on the image situation, I'll still come here.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Thanks for the suggestion Joffroi, but we have to leave the restriction in place for now. As 66ninetyeightls points out...
Space costs money, and unless we get a ton more advertisers on this site, out owners don't want to have to go buy more storage space.

Again, appreciate your ideas though, keep 'em coming!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
........ can you let us upload larger file size images for posting and avatars ........
You have made the request but you have yet to show any justification for it.

Norm
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Runner

I feel like its a pain to have to resize pictures and avatars to tiny pictures. Thats about it. But shoot, I feel like there is an overwhelming number of people that are against allowing larger images, so I'll just deal. No biggy
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Matthew Reader

It kind of is a pain, but it is what it is...