Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Read Thread Remains Bold

Old October 2nd, 2015, 05:42 PM

Read Thread Remains Bold

When I click on a thread, read it and then click out of it, shouldn't the text go from bold to light so I know I've read it?

Does that make sense? lol

Rick
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Are you on your phone or PC?
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:21 AM

Laptop at home and Desk top at work.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:06 AM

bold print after reading post

Recently read posts have stayed bold for me for the last couple of weeks... I'm also on a laptop

Last edited by 1968_Post; October 3rd, 2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 06:42 AM
Administrator

I don't know, I'm on IE and firefox, it works right on my laptop. You might try a reboot.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 07:16 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It works fine on my laptop.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 07:51 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't know, I'm on IE and firefox, it works right on my laptop. You might try a reboot.
I am also on IE & Firefox, and it remains bold for me as well, both desk top and lap top..... This started for me when the software upgrade was done for this forum....
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
Administrator

I can only recommend a clearing cookies and history and restarting your browser.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
When I click on a thread, read it and then click out of it, shouldn't the text go from bold to light so I know I've read it?

Does that make sense? lol

Rick
Rick, I know what you're talking about. The ONLY way you can see what you've already visited is to not hit the 'go back' feature of your mouse. You need to go to Quick Links, then Today's Posts to see what you've already browsed. This is a quirk of the site and has yet to be addressed by IB, who owns it. Your problem is identical to what I have Paul (Omicron) actioning in regards to the "New Posts" problem with this site. Good luck!
Old October 3rd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Administrator

That's a different problem Allan. I can hit the back arrow and the threads I've read are not in bold anymore. I don't know whats wrong as mine works correctly. Then if I click on New Posts all the threads I've read disappear and New Threads are added in bold. If I want to reread any threads that I've read and are gone when I hit the New Threads button I can do the Quick Link pull down and click on Todays Threads and all the threads reappear and the ones I read are not in bold.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

My browser is doing exactly the same thing as Ricks. I use Google Chrome and it's fine. I think this is more of a site problem than an individual computer problem.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:48 PM

It depends on what you mean by "click out of it." If you're just hitting the back button, your browser is simply reloading the previous page from the on-your-computer cache instead of from the site. So it would not show a freshly read link in non-bold type. Hit the "reload" button (a right-circling arrow at the end of the address bar in Firefox) to force the browser to reload a fresh copy of the page from the website, and that will (or should) show the clicked-on link no longer in bold.

It is not necessary to reboot your computer.
Old October 4th, 2015, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
My browser is doing exactly the same thing as Ricks. I use Google Chrome and it's fine. I think this is more of a site problem than an individual computer problem.
^^^^ x2

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
This started for me when the software upgrade was done for this forum....
I'm not sure when that happened but mine worked fine until a month or so ago.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It depends on what you mean by "click out of it." If you're just hitting the back button, your browser is simply reloading the previous page from the on-your-computer cache instead of from the site. So it would not show a freshly read link in non-bold type. Hit the "reload" button (a right-circling arrow at the end of the address bar in Firefox) to force the browser to reload a fresh copy of the page from the website, and that will (or should) show the clicked-on link no longer in bold.

It is not necessary to reboot your computer.
I am just hitting the back button but that's what I always did and it was fine. I've never had to reload any other way. I'll try the "reload this page" command button.

I just read your comments on another thread about dragging the mouse over the back arrow, right clicking it and dragging down to any page you want to return to. That's a slick little tip.

Rick
Old October 4th, 2015, 07:37 AM

I just read your comments on another thread about dragging the mouse over the back arrow, right clicking it and dragging down to any page you want to return to.
You are correct on this. I have been saying that you need to click and hold the left mouse button on the back button. If you wait about two seconds, you can release the mouse button, and the previous page history list remains visible. Then you can move the mouse pointer down to the page you want and click again.

You can also, as you say, right-click on the back button, and that also brings up the previous page list. The difference is that, if you click with the left mouse button, you have to hold it down momentarily or the back button works the normal way and just takes you back one page. If you click with the right mouse button, you can click and release immediately, and the previous page list remains visible.