Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Are we stuck with this site entry re-direct to forums?

Old August 18th, 2015, 07:33 AM

Are we stuck with this site entry re-direct to forums?

I enjoyed the summary page which I can no longer access, to know which threads have new posts to read. No matter how I attempt to enter the site, it now directs first to forums. I really don't like it, it isn't my reluctance to change, it is more I have to click my a$$ off to find what is new. Great for page click revenues but no longer a handy, time efficient intuitive use. Is there a setting I have missed?
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:43 AM

Two options come to mind that are available.
I use "New Posts" most of the time. It shows you all of the new posts since your last visit.
The other option is under "Quick Links". There you can select "Todays Posts".
Maybe one of those will help.
Dave
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ezman604
The other option is under "Quick Links". There you can select "Todays Posts".
That's not the same thing.

This has been driving me crazy as well, but I thought maybe it was a bug in my own browser or something.

Who did it and why?

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Sorry...must be something that was in place before I recently joined.
Forum software does get updated and it very possibly was a change with the latest upgrade. Upgrades aren't always 100% a good thing.
But, are you referring to when you initially log on? It takes you to the Welcome page instead of the Forum page? There it has icons that show if new posts have been made in a particular section?
For me, I stay logged in and use the New Post tab to all new posts. You can also subscribe to any forum area you want to follow. You will get an email notice if there are any new posts in that area.
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Administrator

This is something that was brought up by IB a while ago to the staff. It needed to go away because it's an older plugin that will cause compatibility issues as they roll out software tweaks on all of their sites.
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:57 AM
IB Staff

Yes, oldcutlass is correct here.

Although the forum layout and appearance hasn't changed much over the years, the underlying software has had major overhauls even in the short time that I've been a part of IB.

Unfortunately for the front page--it was a dinosaur-like software plugin on top of our forum software that was becoming harder and harder to maintain as we rolled out our changes, so it had to be put to rest.

I do understand though that multiple communities that were used to the front page may miss some of the features, so we are planning on building something of a "blog" style front page that will feature the latest threads as they're created, similar to the previously existing front page.
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm confused.

I never "log out." My browser remembers my ID, and whenever I access the site, I am always "logged in."
Up until about two days ago, when I would type "c" my browser would complete the address https://classicoldsmobile.com, I would hit Return, and a page would open that contained one page worth of the newest posts.
The page did not go farther back than one single page, which meant that sometimes there would be new posts that I would never see (unless they were responded to later), but that was a blessing, as you can only browse through so much at once.

Letter c, Return, single page with latest posts.

Easy, takes less than a second, I can see what's new, then respond or leave.

Now, when I try to go to classsicoldsmobile.com, I am redirected to classicoldsmobile.com/forums, and then have to find and click on the link "New Posts," and am sent to a lengthy chronological listing of past posts that goes on forever (though it does have a divider at the point where it inaccurately believes that I viewed it last).

This is annoying.
It has nothing to do with "logging out."
It has nothing obvious to do with a "plug-in."
It is just a new and different redirect from the main page link.
If there were a url that could get me to the entry point that I am accustomed to using, I would be happy to teach it to my browser, but I can't seem to find one, as, in the past, the displayed url was always classicoldsmobile.com.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, Jose, I think I understand what you are saying.

The former, seemingly transparent, entry point was actually generated by a plug-in on your end, which had become incompatible, and was not, in itself, findable through a specific url.

Please add my voice to those who would be grateful for a newer version of the same sort of screen.

Thank you.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:29 AM

I noticed this too but no biggie to hit "New Posts" on the top.
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:32 AM

While you're at it.........
I, as many of us, belong to numerous forums besides CO. All of them have a command on the banner bar to 'Mark Forums Read'. I log on to CO several times a day to look at new posts, and always mark them read before I leave. I see two areas, 'Vendor Directory', (which has only 1 entry), and 'Used Cars' which has no entries, which could easily be changed to 'Mark Forums Read'. I know that command can be accessed thru 'Quick Links', but it would streamline the site a bit.
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Don R.
I noticed this too but no biggie to hit "New Posts" on the top.
That is what I have been doing since the change.
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:41 AM

I also noticed it and thought it was just my browser. I don't like it either but oh well, time to move on I guess
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:45 AM
IB Staff

XqY4B1f.png

We do have that!
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM

I know some of you have been members here for a long time. It's obvious by your post count and date registered.
I'll just say this. As a forum owner (not vehicular related) and as a newbie here, it only took me a day or so to get familiar with the layout. It is totally different from mine and the software I use but this forum is well organized and laid out well.
Knowing the management is trying to please over 34,000 folks, I think they are doing a great job!!! And it's also commendable that they listen and are willing to make changes based on the membership suggestions. Keep in mind just how HARD or is actually impossible to please everyone.
Just my 2 cents worth. We now return you to the regularly scheduled chaos.
LOL
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by IB Jose

We do have that!
I am referring to making it a permanent entry available on the bar with all of the other selections " Forums - Gallery - UserCP - Albums - ....etc.
Old August 18th, 2015, 12:00 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I haven't noticed anything different when I log on.
IMO this is a well organised easy to use website. Occasionally it hasn't performed as expected, but mostly that has turned out to be a glitch in my own computer or site maintenance at CO.

Roger.
Old August 18th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Here's what I did: I just clicked the 'New Posts' button, then saved the displayed URL to favorites. With a shortcut from this entry in Favorites to my desktop, it really is one click when logged in. The 'New User' forums are apparently not displayed in results when New Posts is selected, but otherwise this is plenty good enough for me.

Thanks to the staff for the good efforts.

CW

Last edited by coldwar; August 18th, 2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: additional
Old August 18th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Administrator

If you do this you will still have to click on New Posts to get the recent ones.
Old August 18th, 2015, 02:02 PM

Unhappy New Funki-ness

I too, realized something happened. What tweaked it for me is that after the update, AdBlocker Plus no longer blocks all the ads. I'm getting spammed again, even though none of my local ABP criteria have not changed.

Color me *bummed*.
Old August 18th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Administrator

I've been using adblocker on my laptop, works perfectly. You might double check its settings or reload it.
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:10 PM

I am using Chrome, and adblocker still works perfectly. I also have not noticed anything different with how the site works.
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you do this you will still have to click on New Posts to get the recent ones.
The latest are displayed each time I visit - I've done it maybe only six times so far. We'll see ~
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you go to "https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew" you will go directly to the chronologic post listing, with the break where the site thinks you visited last.

You can bookmark this link, or you can just use it enough that it comes up automatically after a while.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
okay, jose, i think i understand what you are saying.

The former, seemingly transparent, entry point was actually generated by a plug-in on your end, which had become incompatible, and was not, in itself, findable through a specific url.

please add my voice to those who would be grateful for a newer version of the same sort of screen.

thank you.

- eric

x2
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If you go to "https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew" you will go directly to the chronologic post listing, with the break where the site thinks you visited last.

You can bookmark this link, or you can just use it enough that it comes up automatically after a while.

- Eric
This works. I have been doing this for years with firefox. Comes up with my latest unread posts.
You might have to get into your browser and delete all the other classicoldsmobile references first before it will pull this link up when you start to type c-l-a-s....

In fact I saw nothing different today and adblock still works as it did.