Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Why New user every time?

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Why New user every time?

I've been a member for several years now. Lately whenever I go to the site I have to resubmit my username and password, even though I check the "remember me" box. Does the site now purge this information weekly? I used to go as long as 3 weeks between visits and the server would remember me. Or maybe it's a Window's issue? Chumley
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM

If you run a registry cleaner of any type during the week it will remove your log in info each time. Also you'll notice there are two spots to enter your log in info, one at the top and one a few lines down. Use the one at the top as it's permanent until you use the reg cleaner. The second one is just a temporary one
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Also, have you recently changed browsers or cookie settings?

If you have your browser set to forget all cookies, then the site will not remember you.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Negatory on all above counts. Had me log in again tonite just a few minutes ago.
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:15 PM

Maybe it doesn't like guys from 'Pawn Stars'! hahahaha ha
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Chum, I use firefox and it does the same thing if I close the browser or turn off the computer. But I hardly ever close the browser, I usually minimize it and just shut the laptop. I don't have a problem with it remembering me that way.

Like I said, it's only when I close the browser...maybe that's the issue?
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's just weird. I log in and out all the time using the 'remember me' feature and never a problem. Last year I left myself 'logged in' using the 'remember me' feature for lessee now - I believe it was for over 3 months solid! Don't do that anymore though.

Chum, I think it's your computer or a windows issue like you said. I'm using a (shudder) Vista OS and Google Chrome. In spite of that the site has been working well for me. Are you by any chance using IE as your web browser?
Old August 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM

I have the same drama, have to log in all the time
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

No foul meant to the OP ...

But I never understood the dire need to be instantly logged back into a website one might visit regularly.

Now - if one had a web based job that required them to log onto a 1000 different websites a day - every day ... then yea sure - I could see the convenience of staying logged into all of them without having to keep logging in.

Otherwise ...

DO NOT WANT !!! ..... regardless if it's done via cookies or having the web browser specifically remember website log-ins & passwords within the browser itself.

Now if I log in some place & figure on being there for awhile .....

Sure - I'll choose "remember me" (uses a cookie) if the option is available to me.

But the thought of having my browser setup in a way that would negate me from having to sign into anywhere for days-weeks-months-years ... just never sat well with me.

I always setup my web browser's to clean everything upon closing it.

And even with setting up my web browser's like that - I will still manually hit clear sometimes ... just in case the the setting to do everything automatically on closing gets fubar-ed some how.

I also use CCleaner several times a day.

Just doesn't seem all that inconvenient & time consuming to log-in manually when one comes back to visit later.

Plus ... keeping ones web browser's nice & tidy IMHO :

Helps prevent bad things from piling up in them & keeps them running smoother & faster.
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:45 AM

You must have cookies blocked then in your browser settings. Cookies aren't always a bad thing
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Cookies aren't always a bad thing
But sometimes they are...
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM

i just tried to post a reply after logging in, it was a rather long reply and when i tried to post it, i had been logged out aggggggggggggg1!!! now i dont want to retype all that post. everytime im her and log in everything seems cool but then suddenly im logged out. WHY?
Im pretty new here so i dont know much about the site yet.
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:22 PM

Steve,

When you log in, make sure you select "remember me" so that your session doesn't time out and your browser forget you when you change from one thread to another...as is the case when you type a long message. Also, make sure your browser has cookies enabled.

If you use firefox as I suggested above, you can get Ad Block Plus as an add on and you won't see ANY ads...and the website will remember you as long as you select "remember me" and you don't close the browser. Hope this helps.

Steve