Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Albums, Galleries, and Where to Upload Photos

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Albums, Galleries, and Where to Upload Photos

I was nosing around my User Control Panel and saw under the Attachments tab a statistic listing the amount of memory I am using to store uploaded photos in various threads. Just out of curiosity, does uploading photos to an album make for better memory management than uploading them to a thread? I was going to start a new thread on the restoration of my Cutlass, probably with a lot of photos, and I was wondering if it makes a difference where I put them.

While I'm on the subject, what's the difference between the Gallery and the Albums? Both are listed along the top bar of the webpage, but they don't seem to be related to each other (i.e. an album listed under "All Albums" doesn't show up under "Gallery"). This might tie into the question asked in the earlier thread titled "Photo Gallery".
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Past Administrator

I can't answer those questions but will notify Paul (Omicron) and see if he can help you out. He understands the technical aspect of the site better than I do.
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Good question on the memory management Oskar, but where you put them really won't make a difference. I'd go with the thread, as it makes it more convenient for users to follow the story, and because that way the vBB softward this website uses handles them "natively" and without a plug in.

Both gallery and Albums are plug ins. Not sure who authored them, but we have problems with each as they seem to be somewhat buggy.
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the quick response Paul (and Dan), I'll post my pictures in the thread. I'll try not to go overboard and use up all the memory...
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

No worries Oskar. Looking forward to your thread!