Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Picture size

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Picture size

Pardon my computer ignorance - I would like to add a picture to my signature and/or and an avatar but the pictures I have are all larger than a 19.5 kb file. Can I compress or reduce these so I can upload them here? Is there a way to do it without having to install a bunch of photo software?
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Pardon my computer ignorance - I would like to add a picture to my signature and/or and an avatar but the pictures I have are all larger than a 19.5 kb file. Can I compress or reduce these so I can upload them here? Is there a way to do it without having to install a bunch of photo software?
Mike,
Good news, you don't need new picture software. Just use the existing software on your PC. For your avatar, yes you can resize the picture. Don't know what software you're running. I have Vista.

1. Copy the picture from your picture folder and paste it back in ( that way you'll have an "undoctored" original still on file). Once you resize the pics you can't regain the resolution you'll lose by making it larger.
2. Use your picture editor ( or use the Help tab on your application and type in "resize pictures") to resize AND Compress the picture. It will then be small enough to upload using CO import tools.

If you want larger pictures to post in your threads, host them on photobucket or some similar service network. It's free. Once you upload the pics there, you can copy and paste the pic to CO, or you can copy/paste the IMG or URL line for the photo into your thread. The software engines from CO will know where to look for those site paths and pull the image into the thread. If you ever delete the images from your host server, the images will also disappear from CO.

Sounds complicated? Not really. Once you do it a few times its old hat. Took me a little while to figure this one out. If you run into troubles pm me and I'll help you out best I can.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks Allan! I'll give it a whirl.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:13 AM

I don't think there's hope for me. I spent over an hour trying to do this with no luck. It appears the only way I can compress the picture size is through "compress and email photo" option. However I do not use the Windows email and it puts into an email attachment that I cannot manipulate. Using every variation of "resize, compress", etc. in my Help section comes back with no options. It is Windows XP. If I right click the photo then click on 'properties' there are NO options either. When I select the photo and click "help" it lists 11 options under 'working with photos and graphics' (finding, sending, re-naming, viewing, sharing, publishing, slideshow, etc.) but nothing about resizing/compressing.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

If you have XP, go to this page and download the small program. You might have to restart your computer, then go to photo you want to use. Right click photo and the dropbox should have "Resize picture", click it, another box will pop-up with three chooses. I use the medium it works fine to get you started.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Great! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help! Works great now!

Last edited by mmurphy77; June 10th, 2010 at 08:32 PM.