Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

troubles posting a reply

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM

troubles posting a reply

I'm getting a little fustrated I avve been trying to add a reply about getting my vinly top put on to my Thread 72 Ols Cutlass in the Classic Cutlas forum. After typing for 15-20 minutes some how it goes away and is not saved or posted... any idea what or why. I have logged in but it appears after staying on for a while I get dropped off casue, when I go to post I get a fill in the blank asking for my name and password.... when I do that it goes back to my original thread...??
Richey
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Been a victim, too myself.

The first part happens to me sometimes. I found out wrong use of the backspace key will cause IE to go BACK, dumping my typing. I would highlight something and hit backspace in hopes the selection will get deleted, but IE goes BACK instead.
Not the same behavior as in a word processor.
After a few sentences, I highlight everything and do a CTRL - C, or copy, so incase I screw up, or the site does, I can repaste my typing. Also, watch out for the F-keys - some will cause unexpected behavior.

Many of my long threads are done in 'word' and copied and pasted into the forum. That way i have the autosave and an offline copy of my work also.

The secong issue you are having can be fixed by checking the "remember me" box when logging in. Or, maybe your browser is not allowing cookies for this site.

Yum - I want a cookie now....

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 11th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Lady72nRob71 Thanks, I think your correct on the back space.. It usually happens after I have written a reply and am just editting it and at some point hit backspace... I'll give the copy a try and maybe go to word... all great suggestins..
Richey
I'll take a cookie toooo.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM

I only foul up on L-O-N-G hilarious replies.

You'd be amazed at what you've missed.
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Clicking a smiley and hitting backspace will dump your post in a heartbeat. Click it and use delete instead. This was getting me a lot...

I seem to always lose informative posts - the BS ones always make it through for some reason...
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Photos?

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Clicking a smiley and hitting backspace will dump your post in a heartbeat. Click it and use delete instead. This was getting me a lot...

I seem to always lose informative posts - the BS ones always make it through for some reason...
How do you get that great picture in your posts?

I'm a newbie!

Ddbord
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Jon442 does them for anyboyd who wants one.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-made-you.html
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Welcome Ddbord!
Yes, Jon made me a swell picture. If you have a good picture and photoshop skills, you can make one yourself, too.
Either way you go, add your picture by selecting "user CP" from the top menu items.
Scroll down to "edit signature" and at the bottom of the page there are settings for signature picture. Just make sure it is the right size before uploading it.
In the middle, you can add text to your signature, or add weblinks.
If you look at my weblink, you will see where my car toured me through the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky mountains - should look like home to ya!
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Welcome Ddbord!
Yes, Jon made me a swell picture. If you have a good picture and photoshop skills, you can make one yourself, too.
Either way you go, add your picture by selecting "user CP" from the top menu items.
Scroll down to "edit signature" and at the bottom of the page there are settings for signature picture. Just make sure it is the right size before uploading it.
In the middle, you can add text to your signature, or add weblinks.
If you look at my weblink, you will see where my car toured me through the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky mountains - should look like home to ya!

Thanks for the good advice! I used MGI PhotoSuite III to do the "fixin'" even though I have Adobe Photoshop.

How is my first effort?

I'll work on it some more....

Best to you!

Ddbord
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Great looking car! I guess we cannot hound you to post pictures now....
Waht are your plans for the car? Does not need much it looks like.
Hmmm - Your picture is taller than most of ours. I need to look at the height of mine...
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Size of Picture

Great looking car! I guess we cannot hound you to post pictures now....
Waht are your plans for the car? Does not need much it looks like.
Hmmm - Your picture is taller than most of ours. I need to look at the height of mine...

I think the size of my photo is about the maximum size allowed. Maybe I better make it a little smaller!

The J88 drives, has 56,000 miles and I bought it from the original owner.
Been repainted once, but it could use a better paint job. The engine is really dirty and I don't know whether to do it myself, or have a detailer do it.

On my cowl tag I have a "W" which I think stands for tinted windshield, and it also has a "5W" which I have no idea what that means! Any ideas?

Does the 71 after Rob denote your age? I'll be 79 in 2 weeks..

Ddbord
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Ddbord
Does the 71 after Rob denote your age? I'll be 79 in 2 weeks

I feel like it often...

Actually "Lady" is a 1972 model and I am a 1971 model, putting me right at half the age of yourself. Lady is in better shape than I am, for sure. If I make it to 80 I will be happy...

Not sure about your other questions... Post those in the relavant sections of the forum with appropriate title and the ones who know will find it and respond.

Also use the 'search' feature to look for answers to any questions you might have. There are several recent ones on engine bay cleaning and I am sure you can get it spiffy looking on your own.

This site is a great place for all your Olds advice - again, welcome!

PS - leave the picture size as it - I like it!