Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

why so hard to post ?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM

why so hard to post ?

I have tried to sign on now for over a week, (on the weekends), and just wrote out a 5 paragraph description of my car, (it's positives and negatives and a background on myself ), since I bought a '64 Olds Jetstar 1 to restore. I got through, and went through the option process of changing the email notification, and entered to submit my post, and it deleted it, telling me I am not logged on, (which is the first thing I did when I entered the site, and chose the new section) . I have never had such a hard time trying to sign up or post to a website. I have been a moderator on a couple of sites, and this one confounds me as to why it is such an ordeal to become a member. I know about the spam thing, and about exceeding the band width, so you have to place limits, but this is unreal. It almost seems as if you don't want any new members to sign up.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM

No no We do.This is a computer question I can't answer.
But I've heard of this problem before, hang in there with us and our inresident geek will get you going.

Remember it's a holiday and please be patient with us.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM

Then I tried to go into my profile, and add my location, since I hate to see people post without knowing where they live. Especially if they need help or have parts for sale. I could be right next door to them, and want to drive over and help out, but never know it. Then I get the " you don't have access to this page" reply. No access to my own link, off my name? Where do I add my location info? All the Team sites are ALOT more user friendly, and not near as hard to navigate, or log in. I started all this LAST weekend, went out of town for work this past week, and then started again this morning , trying to post my description, and questions. Holiday or not, it is very aggrivating. I am just north of you, in Jasper BTW.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Registered Grease Monkey

posting problems

I had the same problem. I just signed up a few days ago. I believe you have to have 5 or more posts,and about 3 days waiting period before you get cleared from an administrator. Put up a couple more posts and it should stop.
Hope this helps, and welcome to this great Oldsmobile site!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Get the five posts and you should be fine. The span on here was a huge problem a few months ago and the 5 post requirement took care of that. One thing I will caution you about is the system will time out on you pretty quick. So don't type a lot and then walk away and come back. Go ahead and finish it and post it. This is one of the friendliest site around. There are a great bunch of guys and a few gals here. There is tons of knowledge and people who are willing to share it. Hang there and get your five post. Welcome to the site.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM

How , after my 5 posts , do I remove the ads, and frames from the webpage, so when it loads, I just get the forum and threads ?I don't want to see all the ads about tires for an Alero, and interior kits for a 47. I know they are sponsorship ads, but will I having to scroll down through a bunch of ads, on every thread I look at?
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM

Just looked through Site Help, and realized I am not alone. There are ALOT of people having the same problems with this site, as I have experienced. I'll see if some of it changes after the magical 5 posts plateau is hit.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I may as well get started with my 1st post!
Henry
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I had some troubles posting in the newbie area last night, Seamed to be working fine this morning though.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Past Administrator

Doug
The reason you were bumped in the description you gave in your first post was a server issue not a site issue. If the server sees no activity (it sees none when you are composing a post) after a period of time you are logged off. The best method is to compose a post on a word processor off line and safe it and then log on and post, this is if you are intending on making a long post. Another method is to compose your post on line and before you click on submit you highlight our entire post and copy it to memory. Then if when you click submit you have been logged off all you have to do is log back on, go to the thread and start a post, click paste and click submit. Easy as pie. For short posts that take less than about five minutes it is not a problem at all though.
The problem you had in your second post about changing your profile has to do with where you sign on. Try using https://classicoldsmobile.com/ which is the main page. After you sign on, then go to the forums. Some people experience the trouble you described and this is a good way around it.
As to alot a of people having the difficulties you described it is because of our five post, two day restriction before becoming a fully registered member. You already know our reason for this, as to the number of people experiencing this, every new person DOES experience this and it is a small inconvenience for a clean, spam free site.
Welcome to CO. Tell us about your car.
Henry, welcome to you as well. Start yourself a thread and introduce yourself and your car.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM
car guy

Just as a habit I started copying my writing anytime I write something long and drawn out. That way if you get logged out you can resign in and past what you already wrote.

I learned that trick a few years ago when I wrote a very long detailed desciption about a car I had for sale on EBAY. Took me about 30 min to write it all out and when I hit send the EBAY server was down so I lost it all. To say I was not happy was an understatement.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM

This thread is a little old (May 2009) but the info is good it deserves a bump and also .this is my first post!

My name is Dean but you all can call me Homestar

I have a 72' Cutlass Cruiser (Flat top ) or also known as a Cutlass Wagon.