Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Finding prior (archived?) posts help

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Thumbs down Finding prior (archived?) posts help

I've recently (this year - 2017) had trouble finding posts that I've referenced previously. I always try to find posts from others who have done what I'm trying to do and I feel like I've been more successful a couple of years ago than I'm finding it now. Have more threads been moved into archives, and if so is there a different way to search the archives? I'm pretty sure that previously I could search within a thread. Is this maybe related to the computer browser I'm using, and if so, what is the site recommended browser?

This site is rich with good advice from others who have done it before, but I seem to be less successful finding things than I was in the past.
Old May 26th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Old School Olds

Don, when you find a thread that interests you and you may want to reference it for
later, at the top hand right of the thread is 'thread tools' click it and subscribe.

Later you can go to your CO handle and click subscribed threads and just scroll
through them. Good luck, works well.
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 71Convertible
Have more threads been moved into archives
I don't think there are "archives" on this site. Threads just sit there. When they stop getting posts, they stop getting posts, but they don't go anywhere else that I've ever seen. When you do a search, even an Advanced Search, there is no option to search any archives. You're always searching the whole site and through all messages since the beginning of time subject to, of course, whatever filters you use.

I agree with you, though, about the Search function here. Many people will say "search is your friend." My response to that is, most of the time it is, but not always. You often get lots of false positives but don't end up with the thread you're looking for. I understand that no search function is perfect.
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Runner

Sometimes using google to search this site works better as well. Below is an example of how you can search CO specifically (Add "site:classicoldsmobile.com" after your search in google with no quotes):
https://www.google.com/#q=youre+text...oldsmobile.com
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Sometimes using google to search this site works better as well.
Excellent point. I have often used google to search a site as it can work better than the site's own search function.
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Administrator

As stated above there is no archive section, they are in chronological order by date of last post. The simple search function is a bit lacking and the advanced search is not much to write home about either. The Google search suggested may work better. Also at the bottom of all the threads are suggestions for additional threads that may or may not be relevant.
Old May 27th, 2017, 04:54 AM

Thanks to all for the input. I did not know about the tread tools feature or the google search option, so I'll check those out. I thought that previously you could narrow the search within a thread to find the specific post that match the search criteria. Maybe age (mine, not the Cutlass's or the site's) has something to do with this. It takes me longer to find everything these days!
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:28 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by 71Convertible
Thanks to all for the input. .... I thought that previously you could narrow the search within a thread to find the specific post that match the search criteria. .....

you still can search within a thread right at the top of the thread see pic
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Red face Search within a Thread

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
you still can search within a thread right at the top of the thread see pic
Thank YOU! This is what I was looking for, but didn't look carefully enough.