Cold As Ice

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
Gearhead in training

Cold As Ice

I just changed my toronados thermostat, thinking it would fix the fact that there is no heat whatsoever in that car. I know the thermostat has to do with the engine coolent and nothing to do with the AC but it worked on my station wagon so i figured id give it a shot.

This was to no avail, so why is there no heat in the toronado? Turning on the AC or heater in any manner seems to take a toll on the cars power, roughening up its idle.

Thanks in advance all!
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:03 PM
72 Olds CS

is the heater core connected? many times the HC gets bypassed when it starts to leak. should be a 3\4" hose from the water pump to the firewall and another from the firwall to top rear of engine.

if its connected do your vent cntrls inside the car work? and chnge pos from floor to defrost etc? if not could be vacuum line related.

last there is a blend door that might be stuck or not wrking.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Custom Cruiser
Turning on the AC or heater in any manner seems to take a toll on the cars power, roughening up its idle.
Sounds as if there is a vacuum leak in the controls.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

What year Toro and with or without automatic A/C?
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:24 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What year Toro and with or without automatic A/C?
Its an 85 and it has A/C. Everything seems to be connected properly
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Its an 85 and it has A/C.
Once again, does it have AUTOMATIC A/C or manual A/C? Failure modes are different.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:02 AM
Gearhead in training

Uhm, i dont know... I hate to sound so ignorant but i was unaware there was such a thing.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:25 AM
Gearhead in training

I can tell you it looks exactly the same from the controls as my custom cruiser, only instead of listing cool/warm it has the temp written

And as far as i can tell im not sure the A/C blows cold air or juat air from outside at this point. I assume the compressor is probably bad as they usually are, but i just need to get this heat flowing and the cold air can pushed to the back burner

Last edited by Northern Custom Cruiser; October 23rd, 2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

I can tell you it looks exactly the same from the controls as my custom cruiser, only instead of listing cool/warm it has the temp written

And as far as i can tell im not sure the A/C blows cold air or juat air from outside at this point. I assume the compressor is probably bad as they usually are, but i just need to get this heat flowing and the cold air can pushed to the back burner
Reading the Owner's Manual is a good way to figure out which one you have.

If the control has numeric temperatures and the word "Tempmatic", it is the automatic A/C.

The manual A/C simply has a slider labeled hot/cold .

The Tempmatic system blends heated and cooled air to achieve the preset temperature, which uses different control mechanisms than the manual system - the latter simply has a cable from the slider to the temperature blend door.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:15 AM
Gearhead in training

Reading the Owner's Manual is a good way to figure out which one you have.

If the control has numeric temperatures and the word "Tempmatic", it is the automatic A/C.

The manual A/C simply has a slider labeled hot/cold .

The Tempmatic system blends heated and cooled air to achieve the preset temperature, which uses different control mechanisms than the manual system - the latter simply has a cable from the slider to the temperature blend door.
Well given the current info id say ive got the automatic A/C good sir. Sorry for the confusion on my end
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately the troubleshooting for the Tempmatic system is lengthy. I strongly suggest you get yourself a 1985 Chassis Service Manual and Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and read the Tempmatic section in detail.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:30 AM
Gearhead in training

Thanks joe, ill give that a look. When inside the car operating the switches i can manipulate where the air comes out if i play with it a bit but i feel like the controls arnt working properly. I can definitely hear leaking air unless its in just the right spot
Old October 30th, 2016, 05:56 PM

The leaking air sound is a vacuum leak!
Old November 6th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Gearhead in training

Long time no post, but my new job is quite demanding.. Anywho, ive really developed a need for heat as the temperature is dropping and i have no ways to defog my windows. I've done alittle troubleshooting here and there and all of the hoses going to the heater core and all of that get nice and warm after the car has been going so im come to the conclusion that it must have something to do with the inner workings of the tempmatic system.

The problem i have, is that i dont know where to start fiddling with. Im fairly confident that i can find the issue if i get to it but i dont know whether to tear apart the dash or pull open the the heater core box and all of that jazz. From what ot sounds to me, i think a vacuum leak is the culprit, as you guys have said.

Any pointers? Thanks in advance all
Old November 6th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Any pointers?
Yeah. Scroll up and read post #11:

I strongly suggest you get yourself a 1985 Chassis Service Manual and Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and read the Tempmatic section in detail.
Be sure you get the manuals that cover Toronado and not the identical-looking manuals that cover Ciera, Calais, and Firenza. The set in the photo is currently $5.50 on ebay.

Old November 8th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Oldsdruid

I can about promise it's a thing called a vacuum checking relay. It's on the programmer, round with a vac line connected. Notorious failure item on Tempmatic cars and will cause either full hot or full cold issues. The one on my 83 CC had a bad habit of failing full cold in 20 degree weather,though to its credit it failed full hot on a 90 degree day. A/C in max and it was blowing 120 degrees out the dash vents. It's wacked now and those relays have gotten $$$, so I'm using a vacuum tee to control. I want heat, I plug the tee with a golf tee. I want cool, I leave it out. The vacuum tee is a Zone Service quick fix. Don't ask how I know...
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Gearhead in training

First of all, i want to address joe and say that i appreciate your response. I actually looked for quite awhile for that set on ebay to no avail. But regardless i do appreciate any and all information youve given me.

Second, where is the programmer? I played around with a few things and i dont think i ran across it. Where does the vacuum line connect to before the relay?
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

First of all, i want to address joe and say that i appreciate your response. I actually looked for quite awhile for that set on ebay to no avail.
Sorry, but you really need to brush up on your ebay search string techniques. I just typed 1985 oldsmobile manual into the ebay search box, and it was the second one that came up. Ebay item number is 122219532452.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Oldsmob...NYGqAY&vxp=mtr
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Gearhead in training

Sorry, but you really need to brush up on your ebay search string techniques. I just typed 1985 oldsmobile manual into the ebay search box, and it was the second one that came up. Ebay item number is 122219532452.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Oldsmob...NYGqAY&vxp=mtr
I did what you said and it came up, perhaps i was just too specific. Ive never really used ebay before i got into these cars so im still learning its in and outs.

Anywho, i couldn't find this vacuum checking relay and the closest i got was getting to a round vacuum tank, however, there were two. One above the blower motor and one on the other side of the engine. While fiddling with the vacuum line to it, (the one on the other side of the engine) i broke nipple it connects to off. Probably a bad thing.

There was also a black thin plastic vacuum line connected to the other one above the blower motor and i tried unplugging the vacuum line on the other end away from the round tank and it broke. Neither of these being unplugged seemed to be the vacuum check relay as to didn't help the no heat problem.

I got into the passenger compartment behind the glove box and noticed that there was a lever or something right next to the arm of the temperature control and it was connected to nothing and i could maneuver it with my hand. I drove the car to get it warmed up and threw it in park, turned on the heat, got in there, pushed it... and there was heat.
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Anywho, i couldn't find this vacuum checking relay and the closest i got was getting to a round vacuum tank, however, there were two. One above the blower motor and one on the other side of the engine. While fiddling with the vacuum line to it, (the one on the other side of the engine) i broke nipple it connects to off. Probably a bad thing.
Yeah...

I got into the passenger compartment behind the glove box and noticed that there was a lever or something right next to the arm of the temperature control and it was connected to nothing and i could maneuver it with my hand. I drove the car to get it warmed up and threw it in park, turned on the heat, got in there, pushed it... and there was heat.
That's the lever for the temperature blend door, basically a flapper door that opens or closes to mix hot air from the heater core with cold air from outside (or from the A/C evaporator). On non-Tempmatic cars this is simply controlled by a cable from the slider on the dash control head. The Tempmatic uses a servo motor to drive this based on the temperature setting and the sensor reading from the in-car temp sensor. Obviously if it isn't hooked up, the blend door won't be moving. This (along with the vacuum diagram) is all explained in detail in the CSM.