Consequence of NOT Filling Exhaust Cross Over or Welding Divider

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2016, 07:04 PM

Consequence of NOT Filling Exhaust Cross Over or Welding Divider

I have a set of stock G heads that I am about to put on a mild 455 rebuild. 450 HP. Edelbrock Performer intake, Hooker 3202 headers. I am having trouble finding someone to fill the exhaust cross overs and weld up the center exhaust port divider.

How will not filling the exhaust cross over affect performance?

What's going to happen when I put the Hooker Headers on the G heads if the center port divider is not welded flush? I assume it will burn out the gasket, that goes over the non flush center port divider. Anything else?
Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:03 PM

The Edelbrock intake for BBO doesn't have a provision for a crossover anyways, you can put a thin piece of stainless with high temp RTV to block the heat from damaging the fiber intake gasket. I wouldn't worry about it or the divider... people have made more than 450 HP without filling the heads.

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic2913.html
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:41 AM

I have an Edelbrock Performer on my 455 and it has an exhaust crossover. The manifold comes with the slugs you're supposed to file down and drive into the exhaust crossover. I also run Heddman headers without the center port welded flush and it doesn't blow gaskets any faster than headers usually do.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by David DeCan
How will not filling the exhaust cross over affect performance?
On a mild street build you will be hard-pressed to feel a difference either way. Stop losing sleep over this. Depending on how deep the center divider is in the casting, you can sometimes get away with milling the exhaust flange surface of the head until it is flush with the divider. This works with headers but usually if you have to cut more than a 1/16" or so, you'll have problems with exhaust manifolds hitting the sides of the block.

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
The Edelbrock intake for BBO doesn't have a provision for a crossover anyways,
Which Performer 455 are you looking at? 2151 certainly has a crossover.

The 7551 air gap RPM does not. The OP only says it's an "Edelbrock Performer" manifold.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:25 AM

Its the 2151 Edelbrock Performer and it definitely has a exhaust heat crossover.

I think Padavano is right--stop loosing sleep over this. It is a mild build. Not going to use the Edelbrock supplied plugs either. I hear more problems than they are worth--rattling etc.

So until I get the new aluminum heads we are going to have heat in the cross over and a bit of a gap on the exhaust center divider under the Hookers.

Question: Should I use the turkey tray intake gasket to keep oil off the bottom of the intake with heat in it? Or use the composite intake gaskets like Mr. Gaskets to bolt the 2151 Performer on?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Question: Should I use the turkey tray intake gasket to keep oil off the bottom of the intake with heat in it? Or use the composite intake gaskets like Mr. Gaskets to bolt the 2151 Performer on?
I've never had an issue with the stock metal gasket when installed properly. The factory used them on every aluminum intake (W-30, W31, A4, and A5) and I've used them on aftermarket intakes. I will admit that I can never get the rubber end seals to stay in place, however, so I just throw them away and use RTV there.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:10 AM

This is a matter of personal preference just like oil and filter brand. I don't use the turkey tray. IMHO, the side and end gaskets seal better without it.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
IMHO, the side and end gaskets seal better without it.
I can't really see how those are related. If anything I'd expect the thicker composition gaskets to allow more movement of the intake relative to the block and thus be more prone to end seal issues, but frankly, I can't imagine that there's a measurable difference in this area.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Which Performer 455 are you looking at? 2151 certainly has a crossover.

Woops. I forgot, it has a crossover, just no provision for a hot air choke with the carb (never figured that one out). Thanks for the correction.
Old November 7th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Old(s)GuysRule

I'm with Joe on using the turkey tray gasket and RTV on the ends. Never have had a problem on the race engine using it.