General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1950 88 'Carrying Capacity'

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:58 PM

Location: Cairns, Australia and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
1950 88 'Carrying Capacity'

Hi Everyone
I'm in the process of trying to title my '50 88 in Texas, and a question on the relevant form is the 'Carrying Capacity' of the vehicle. Does anyone have any idea whether this is referring to number of pax or laden weight, and what a '50 88's capacity would be?
I'm guessing if its passengers 6 would be a reasonable number, as for weight I've got no idea.
Any thoughts or guidance most appreciated.
Cheers
Erik
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd ask the DMV.

I've seen similar questions on DMV forms that only applied to busses or commercial vehicles, so it may not even be relevant.

- Eric
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Erik Andersen
Hi Everyone
I'm in the process of trying to title my '50 88 in Texas, and a question on the relevant form is the 'Carrying Capacity' of the vehicle. Does anyone have any idea whether this is referring to number of pax or laden weight, and what a '50 88's capacity would be?
I'm guessing if its passengers 6 would be a reasonable number, as for weight I've got no idea.
Any thoughts or guidance most appreciated.
Cheers
Erik
I assume they are referring to useful cargo. Typically it was six passengers x 150 lb each (yeah, those days are long gone...) and 200 lb of luggage.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:04 AM

I think it just refers to the number of passengers that can be carried where each has a seat belt.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think it just refers to the number of passengers that can be carried where each has a seat belt.
OK, this is not correct.

The application for a Texas title can be found online, as well as instructions for filling it out. For the section on carrying capacity, it says this:

"12. Carrying Capacity: Weight (in pounds) determined by the heaviest load the vehicle is legally allowed to carry according to the vehicle manufacturer."

I don't think that this information was commonly made available to vehicle buyers. I don't see any mention of such a thing in any of my owner's manuals. I see towing capacity, but not carrying capacity.

Then there is this: On the application for the title itself, it actually says "Carrying Capacity (if any)." That "if any" is very important and is something the OP did not mention. It means that you don't have to put anything in that blank to fill out the form. In other words, it's not required information.

I think the bottom line here is that you leave that space blank. It's relevant for vehicles like pickup trucks or delivery vehicles or cargo-carrying vehicles, but not for passenger cars for which this information was never provided by the manufacturer.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

The application for a Texas title can be found online, as well as instructions for filling it out. For the section on carrying capacity, it says this:

"12. Carrying Capacity: Weight (in pounds) determined by the heaviest load the vehicle is legally allowed to carry according to the vehicle manufacturer."
While this is the definition that I stated above, the OP is in Australia. His mileage may vary...

I don't think that this information was commonly made available to vehicle buyers. I don't see any mention of such a thing in any of my owner's manuals. I see towing capacity, but not carrying capacity.
Wanna bet? Here's a page from the 1969 Cutlass owner's manual, as an example. See "Fully Rated Load" at the bottom center. Note that the numbers add up to the 150 lb x number of passengers plus luggage that I noted above. I can't speak to what info was in the 1950 owner's manual, however.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
While this is the definition that I stated above, the OP is in Australia. His mileage may vary...
What does him being in Australia have to do with it? He's trying to title the car in Texas.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

What does him being in Australia have to do with it? He's trying to title the car in Texas.
Sorry, I missed that completely.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think the broader question would be why would someone in Australia want or need to title a car in Texas?

And why would Texas issue a title to someone who is not only a non-resident of the state, but of the country?

- Eric
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Wanna bet? Here's a page from the 1969 Cutlass owner's manual, as an example.
You're right. It is in my '73 Olds owner's manual, sort of. It doesn't give the vehicle load in the manual. It says it's written on the tire pressure placard, which I think was usually located on the inside of the glovebox door. Of course, if that's missing, as it often might be on an older car, what do you do?

But I still think the bottom line here is that you just leave that space blank. MDchanic said it right in his reply. It's most likely not relevant. If the DMV person asks about it when you submit the form, just say you don't know. Or just write "N/A" or "unknown" in the blank.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I think the broader question would be why would someone in Australia want or need to title a car in Texas?

And why would Texas issue a title to someone who is not only a non-resident of the state, but of the country?
I wondered these myself, but I can see how it might be easier to import a car to Australia that is already properly titled somewhere than to bring into the country an untitled vehicle and try to get it titled.

As far as Texas issuing the title, perhaps the car is actually being titled in the name of a friend or relative living in Texas, and then it will be transferred/sold/whatever to the person in Australia.

Again, regardless of the specific circumstances, I think the process is easier from beginning to end if you start with a car that has a title.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:54 AM

He may have bought the car here and need a title, say from Texas, so it can be ship to Australia. May be better for him with a clean title.

Gene
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

You're right. It is in my '73 Olds owner's manual, sort of. It doesn't give the vehicle load in the manual. It says it's written on the tire pressure placard,
Even in earlier years...

Bottom line is that the formula is always the same. 150 lb per passenger (based on actual seating - 6 for front bench, 5 for buckets) plus luggage (200lb for sedans and 300lb for wagons).
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Which is weird, how many 150# adults are there running around?
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That's probably an average of the average female weight and the average male weight. Sounds about right if you look at it that way.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Have you been to the mall lately...
Old October 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
A lot more then than now, sadly...

As noted, this was intended to be an average passenger weight, accounting for kids as well as adults. Even more depressing is that 150 is low for kids today.
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:10 AM

Location: Cairns, Australia and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Wow, thanks everyone.
For the curious, I'm titling in Texas because the first thing the car will be used for once it is rebuilt for the Lap the World is to drive around the US for a bit which it'll need to be titled, registered and insured for - shakedown trip from Dallas to Alburquerque for a display at the OCA Nationals in July '17 then NYC to LA in the Dustball 3000 rally in August '17.
I'd seen the note 'if any' in the relevant box but had no idea what to make of that.
In the time honoured fashion of doing as little as possible I'm going to go with Jaunty's 'leave it blank' approach and see what happens.
If that approach crashes and burns I'll use Joe's very helpful formula.
Thanks again everyone.
Cheers
Erik
Old October 4th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like a great trip!

If it says "If any," you will do fine by leaving it blank.

- Eric
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:49 AM

The average woman now weighs as much as the 1960 average man.
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
The average woman now weighs as much as the 1960 average man.
I suspect that number is actually even higher...

Heck, the average grade schooler now weighs as much as the 1960 male.
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Of course, they're all taller now, so it's not all on account of obesity. At least that's MY excuse.
Old October 4th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Hmmm I thought it was due to not being tall enough.
Old October 4th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think I'm getting shorter.

That's why my weight seems to look heavier on me.

- Eric
Old October 5th, 2016, 02:55 PM

Yes, each of us is getting shorter. I was trying to say that the average American today is taller than the average American 50 years ago. Meaning each generation is taller than the last.