General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My brain hurts

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Smash

My brain hurts

I know the subject of paint color has been beaten to death in multiple threads. Well the good news is I don't have that kind of time I have 48 hrs to pic my paint. Here's my fortunate story.
My brother in law works in a body shop (that's good) but he's leaving to start his own body shop supply company co and will no longer have access to the shop. (That's bad) The day I bought the car that night I dropped it off at his shop he told me gotta get it in now or I'm on my own. Scrapped up the extra money cause I was getting it done for wages great deal. $1000 got the whole body done. Then I hear getting his own shop deal has been pushed back. More good news for me cause I have another 72 Cutlass in my garage I got no where to put this new one anyway. So they putter over the next 3 weeks got all the wheel wells, front end, doors and lines looking good. Primed the whole car and I'm done. Well not so fast calls me up says Friday is my last day big fight with boss & he wants to stick it to him. Tells me come up with $1200 and he will put a $3500 paint job on it with hand painted hood & stripes. 3 coats clear the whole nine. No brainer gotta do it. That was today he told me. It's going for finish sanding and finish primer tomorrow, sits a day paint first thing Wed. Hands me a DuPont Metalic Fleet Color Selector book and needs color afternoon Tuesday. This is where after 4 to 5 hrs my brain starts to hurt. I currently have new white buckets and bench seats, (came with the car) door panels are blue and will get painted at some point. Is it sort of law that your interior should match your striping. Basicly white or black ? I really like the black striping with say a bronze Metalic paint. Just like the look. Trying to find good examples with white striping haven't had much luck. I like darker colors even a dark burnt orange could be doable just not sure about the white striping. I would prefer black interior and would either swap with someone or have it dyed if it didn't break me. Not sure what to do the car was originally flame orange ehh?? not a huge fan also don't care about tradition going resto mod on this one. Black is too high maintanence out, my other Cutlass is white out, everyone has a red one, out so I'm stuck. Don't know if I can visualize the bronze with white but it looks badd *** with the black. How retarded will it look bronze with black striping & white interior for a while anyway ? See my head spin around just then ???? Tic Toc any suggestion is a good suggestion yellow & lime & purple are not me if that helps any I'm not flashy. I like the dark reds, dark oranges, earth tones where the black shows through the color. Even my Eagles Midnight Green was kicked around.
Dark Persimmon Effect & Bronze Effect from this book were my leaders in the clubhouse. Friends and family over Easter dinner were useless so I'm asking here for don't even know what I'm asking anymore. Im just afraid to make a big mistake especially money wise. Gotta get this one right. Thx I owe you just for reading this but you guys are the pros and most probably been here & done this before.
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:20 PM
72Cutlass S

Don't know if this helps, but dark blue always looks good with white strips and white interior.
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:38 PM
same but different

Bronze with black stripes or bronze with white stripes. Your post seems to favor this or that.

For years I had the sienna (67) with white stripes.
Old March 28th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by gs72
Don't know if this helps, but dark blue always looks good with white strips and white interior.
This, good luck with your decision.
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:58 AM

Turquoise will look good with a white stripe. Good luck with your choice.
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Here's my vote but the colour has to be right:

Old March 28th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Smash

Originally Posted by RROLDSX

That's my vote as well except I took my rear wing off. Will have it painted in case I change my mind. My wife didn't like it that's what started my mind spinning. She has good taste with interior design so I started to doubt my original decision of bronze. Thinking because I'm 53 that maybe I was stuck in the wrong era. I think it looks awesome and still leaning this way. Thx for the post I guess I'm having my seats dyed or painted or swapped to black.
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Smash

Originally Posted by smash72
That's my vote as well except I took my rear wing off. Will have it painted in case I change my mind. My wife didn't like it that's what started my mind spinning. She has good taste with interior design so I started to doubt my original decision of bronze. Thinking because I'm 53 that maybe I was stuck in the wrong era. I think it looks awesome and still leaning this way. Thx for the post I guess I'm having my seats dyed or painted or swapped to black.
Do you have a paint name and code ?
Old March 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Looks a lot like Bittersweet (same colour as my '71). I usually paint my cars darker blues, but this colour has been growing on me. It stands out because it's not the same as all the blues, reds, greens and yellows that seem to proliferate.
Old March 28th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Bittersweet is a 1971 colour as is not the same. Saddle Bronze is a 1972 exterior colour.
Old March 28th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RROLDSX

The deck lid spoiler was never an option on 1972. Looks cool though. Definitely an add on by owner or a dealer installed option (on request of original buyer).
Old March 28th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Smash

Here's the DuPont Fleet book I believe the car posted is close to the bronze sample here which was my first choice. Now I'm leaning toward the top right sample Dr Persimmon it's got some red some orange and a little different. I was also looking into a candy root beer but I'm running out of time. Got about 15hrs before he needs my decision. I don't care about going back to 1972 with regards to paint. I like all these colors bunched in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (257.2 KB, 19 views)
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sorry to be late to the party. Here's some clippings of the white stripes you might like to consider?

A real 72 442 W30. Note: In 1972 the W30 did not have red inner fender liners like previous years.

Obviously not a real 442 - see rocker stainless. But the white stripes look good!