2-Speed Wiper Motor is Dead... or is it

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:49 PM

2-Speed Wiper Motor is Dead... or is it

Before I start a WTB on this, I wanted to see if anyone has experience or advice with this wiper motor. It is on a 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 and assume it was used over a span of a few years on a few different models.

Has new fuse. Has power to the motor that corresponds with the switch in on/off position. Switch on, 12 volt reading. Switch off, no reading. When I hit the button for the washer pump the relay clicks but the pump doesn't engage. Pulled it out and took it apart and it turns by hand and looks really clean and greased on the inside and is not seized up.

Does anyone have any insight on this or things I could try, or is it time to find a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Pics below:

m1OS0eM.jpg

sOALXJ2.jpg

VV9kwuA.jpg
Old June 8th, 2018, 09:54 PM

Found some stray strands of wire at the power connection inside at the motor relay on closer inspection. They were making contact with the casing. Thought this might have an effect on it. Put it all back together, switched the ground just in case, and still just get a click from the pump relay when engaging the switch.

With the three connections on the motor, is there a way to test it with a multimeter? I don't have much experience with electrical. Just trying to learn as I go.
Old June 9th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Copied this from another site instead of writing a complete explanation:

First make a couple of short lead wires by stripping both ends. Put one end of each wire through the two outside terminals of the plug on the motor. These are terminals 1& 3 shown in the diagram. Make a third such lead wire that is connected to the middle terminal 2.

Now hook your battery charger to the motor as follows; hook the positive clip on the charger to the lead on the center terminal. This is all time hot and is never disconnected. Next hook the long thin brass sheet metal ground lead that comes out of the motor body to the negative clamp on your battery charger. This is all-time ground and is never disconnected.

You are now ready to test the motor.

To simulate low speed, touch both outside leads from terminals 1 & 3 to the ground clamp on your charger. Motor should start and run.

To simulate high speed, disconnect the lead on outside terminal #3 and let it hang free. The motor should speed up noticeably.

Finally to park the motor, hook both leads from outside terminals to each outer but not to ground and the motor should run until the crank is to one side and stop. It should stop there every time.

If these things don’t happen, you will need to open the unit and likely just clean up a couple contacts, make sure the brushes touch the commutator. These are really well made units and not a lot goes wrong. A lot of them don’t work but it is usually a simple maintenance cause that is easily fixed.

Old June 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Awesome! Thank you for posting that. I will throw results up once I get to it.
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:09 PM

I am happy to report success. I hooked it up and bench tested it a week ago with no real result. The old guy (my dad) came over tonight and took a look at it as well. He is well versed mechanically. We hooked it up and it ran for about 4 seconds then it quit. At last we knew the motor was in fact, still good.

While looking at it, he checked the armature (shown with the magenta arrow below) and found it was binding up. This controlled the switch at the relay (yellow arrow) which I believe limits and controls the sweep of the wipers. After greasing this metal arm up it found the full range of motion and was able to trip the switch and function properly.

In the excitement we reinstalled the motor but we forgot to take a look at the pump.Wipers work, but still nothing from the pump. To be continued on that...

45tHdQF.jpg
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Administrator

The white wire from the switch activates the washer, the purple jumper supplies power.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The white wire from the switch activates the washer, the purple jumper supplies power.
"Old cutlass," I followed the diagram you provided and was able to bench test my motor; I'm happy to report that the motor works. Unfortunately the washer pump valve does not work as the internal diaphragm/bellow is torn. My dad has a 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 that we are trying to work the kinks out of and get all systems back on track. It came with a two speed motor with washer pump.

"Just rust," any update on the windshield washer pump progress?

Does anyone have any information where I could buy the internal pump bellowed valve? Also, does anyone know what years this pump was used on Oldsmobiles?

Thanks in advance,

Rich