Pro comp heads on a race engine

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Pro comp heads on a race engine

Okay was brought up in a different thread that these heads make power. Just how fast mph and et has anyone gone with these heads?Looking for down track results not dyno.
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

Oh man, This thread is going to get interesting. Maybe we will all get a pair in our stocking this year from Santa.
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I dont think anyone with procomps has gone down the track. Nothing but dyno numbers but that dont mean jack. i asked cutlassfreak the same thing one time when we where talking about engines and what not. just like a certain engine builder who i have only ever seen dyno numbers for but no track times for any builds.
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic380.html
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Qwik71442
We got one back in 2013 and nothing about if he had problems later.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I dont think anyone with procomps has gone down the track. Nothing but dyno numbers but that dont mean jack.
Pretty arrogant statement, dyno numbers aren't the end-all, but neither are track numbers. Dyno numbers are not worthless and track results are not a precise indicator of power, either. Just because Mark's clients choose not to race their cars, does not mean that the engines are not producing the power he advertises. All of a sudden, several members here a op seem to think that you can't have and enjoy a "performance build" unless you race it. Getting a bit uppitty.

Last edited by captjim; November 27th, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
Pretty arrogant statement, dyno numbers aren't the end-all, but neither are track numbers. Dyno numbers are not worthless and track results are not a precise indicator of power, either. Just because Mark's clients choose not to race their cars, does not mean that the engines are not producing the power he advertises. All of a sudden, several members here a op seem to think that you can't have and enjoy a "performance build" unless you race it. Getting a bit uppitty.
Jim did you forget what forum this is and what the question was?
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Point being they have been mainly used in street usage. The times on that thread from rop can be had with irons .

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 27th, 2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Real arrogant for you to insult anyone who just asked a question and what i was looking for.Not what your opinion is captjim. Unless you are in charge of questions.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:49 PM

So what your implying is that without track time any given build or power output means nothing? So all of BTR's, Milans, Rocket Racing, OPP and others builds don't mean squat unless they've been down the track? All I have to say is wow.
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Hookers under Hood

Just ask eden (70cutty) how fast his car is now. I'd say he's one guy you could talk to, very honest guy as well. I don't think you would need track times, I know his engine is impressive.
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
So what your implying is that without track time any given build or power output means nothing? So all of BTR's, Milans, Rocket Racing, OPP and others builds don't mean squat unless they've been down the track? All I have to say is wow.
Mark what is your problem with the question?Is it you can't read? The question was clear if you don't have info then go back to your work bench Mr.wow!I am being nice.I just want you and Jim to understand this is the what i want down track on a race engine ET and mph info.It would also be nice to know weight of car gears transmission ect but my question was as stated.Is it winter time that gets you two guys shorts in a twist!
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Just ask eden (70cutty) how fast his car is now. I'd say he's one guy you could talk to, very honest guy as well. I don't think you would need track times, I know his engine is impressive.
Thanks but that isn't the info for the question i ask.Have a happy holiday.

Last edited by wr1970; November 27th, 2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: better wording by adding to word info
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:31 PM

Bump

Originally Posted by wr1970
Okay was brought up in a different thread that these heads make power. Just how fast mph and et has anyone gone with these heads?Looking for down track results not dyno.
I too think this is an excellent question and would like to know the answer. Post your track results if you have them.

I am not discounting dyno results in any way, I have seen many of those and find them of interest and value too.
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Mark dyno numbers are a tool that's it. So say you put a 450 hp engine in a full tilt street car , with power steering full accessories etc etc that 450 is actually kind of dogish if you ask me so yeah unless it goes down the track that 450 is a bunch of bs. imo its great that its tuned but is that 450 getting used ??? how much of that 450 is getting used thats why track times are important but hp sells so i guess people drink the koolaid . By the time it goes through the drive train , accessories , and what ever else chokes it back what are you really left with ? . So that's how I feel about it. I go by track numbers that's as real world as it gets. As for Milan and the others they get em down the track so yeah no need to explain and they build real race engines that get going down the 1320. what good is 450 hp to be honest when you cant even use all of it on the street ??????? You can say you have 450 but what can it do at the strip ??? its a waste imo but whatever people like to brag hp but to me i care about 1/4 mile times. So yes to me it means absolutely nothing until you can efficiently get that power to the ground and the numbers reflect it.

How does that saying go horsepower sells torque wins races ????? Its pretty funny these guys who go i got this much hp and this and that. Well thats great what can you do with it because on the street you can never use its full potential.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 27th, 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:29 PM

What the hell is wrong with everyone! This thread went from pro comp heads going down the 1320 to why Marks customers don't go down the 1320! I think the F%^*?£# turkey has gone bad around here or there are too many Farmers cause the S?!* is getting deep! I like it here on Classic Olds and the reason I do is because most don't rip and tear each other apart unlike ROP! When I get my Big Block from Mark, you will have Dyno Numbers and strip numbers next summer. So let's get this thread back on subject and everyone calm the hell down!!! Rant and .02 done!
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:38 PM

The objective of this thread is all about going down the 1320.
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:43 PM

No it's about going down the 1320 with pro comp heads!
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:46 PM

well thats obvious. I was saying all i have seen is dyno numbers . there is one build that went 10.20's but i have seen that with iron heads so im not really impressed so to speak but like anything it will need work. irons need work to support 10's and so do the pro comps. the procomps have a few things going for them and aganst them just like the irons but the irons are tried and trued . The pro comps seem to be hit or miss from the mixed reviews that have been put out there and the people pushing them are hand selecting them or going over them and making them worthy of them being used. (not that they have failed but they are either being inspected before sale or upgraded) I know i would NOT bolt on a set of any aluminum heads straight out the box and from a vendor stand point its almost better marketing to upgrade them from the get go and make them atleast useable.

Now clearly there has only been one build with procomps that has gone down the track. Im gonna go ahead and make a pot of coffee and wait for the rest to post their pro comp headed race engine e/t's

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 27th, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:35 AM

My GF ran her stock 76 down the "1320" to a 17.2, does that make it a "race engine"? The point is whether these heads make good power, are reliable, and at a reasonable cost. Yes, 1/4 mile times are great, but there are a ton of variables such as weather, altitude, traction, fuel delivery, etc, that can have a bearing. Also, here in the south, most all of the tracks are 1/8 mile, so cars are set up for that. Yes, you can use a formula to estimate 1/4 mile ET, but again, more variables. There certainly are variables with dynos, but to discount them is absurd.

Let's be completely honest here, you have disparaged these heads many times in other threads. Your sole intention in THIS thread is to further that agenda, knowing that not many guys are running them. You excluded dyno results in this thread because you know Mark has built a bunch of engines with them that have been on a dyno but not in a car down the track and you simply do not want him to post his results which show the heads in a positive light.

Last edited by captjim; November 28th, 2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:43 AM

Now clearly there has only been one build with procomps that has gone down the track. Im gonna go ahead and make a pot of coffee and wait for the rest to post their pro comp headed race engine e/t's

There are a LOT of guys who race cars of all makes who do not frequent internet forums, to make the above statement is ridiculous.
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:02 AM

There are a LOT of guys who race cars of all makes who do not frequent internet forums, to make the above statement is ridiculous.
Absolutely correct! Not everyone that races is on the net forums! If I was a full time racer why would I be online all the time?
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:14 AM

My GF ran her stock 76 down the "1320" to a 17.2, does that make it a "race engine"? The point is whether these heads make good power, are reliable, and at a reasonable cost. Yes, 1/4 mile times are great, but there are a ton of variables such as weather, altitude, traction, fuel delivery, etc, that can have a bearing. Also, here in the south, most all of the tracks are 1/8 mile, so cars are set up for that. Yes, you can use a formula to estimate 1/4 mile ET, but again, more variables. There certainly are variables with dynos, but to discount them is absurd.

Let's be completely honest here, you have disparaged these heads many times in other threads. Your sole intention in THIS thread is to further that agenda, knowing that not many guys are running them. You excluded dyno results in this thread because you know Mark has built a bunch of engines with them that have been on a dyno but not in a car down the track and you simply do not want him to post his results which show the heads in a positive light.
I agree captjim!

I'm currently having Mark build me an engine. It has Edelbrock heads on it. I didn't want pro comps because I wanted an American made head. I do not deny that pro comps make power at all and Mark has proven they do! I just want to support American workers and craftsmanship first!

To say an Engine with good dyno numbers isn't an indication of how well it will perform at the track is in my opinion just barely valid. There are so many variables in drag racing and it all ends with the driver. If I have great power to weight ratio,(no matter what horsepower level on the dyno) can hook my car and have a good driver to get it down the track then you will be successful. Dyno numbers are definitely a useful tool and shouldn't be ignored period!
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:41 AM

Jim I just have not seem them as a worthy investment. We can debate till we are blue in the face but again just my opinions. And edelbrock hires alot of Mexicans btw so per that agenda it's cheap labor not craftsmanship. I have seen videos of their carb assembly and it looked like a bunch of cleaning ladies gossiping putting carbs together. I'm Mexican btw so it's not some racist bull crap .

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 28th, 2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Hey Jim can we get back to thread that i started! Madmax i know yours isn't done yet and i bet when it is you and everyone else maybe surprised.I mean that in a good way.One guy in 2013 went pretty good in my opinion.I am just looking to see any others have.I did start about the same thread on ROP to be fair about this threads question. On a side note i never made any remarks that these pro comp heads are worthless.I never said anything about Mark and his work with the pro comp heads. I will discount what i please Jim. After all i started this thread and stated up front what i was looking for in the way of info thank you very much.
Old November 28th, 2015, 06:50 AM

I dont think anyone with procomps has gone down the track. Nothing but dyno numbers but that dont mean
jack. i asked cutlassfreak the same thing one time when we where talking about engines and what not. just like a certain engine builder who i have only ever seen dyno numbers for but no track times for any builds.
Neeley, my comment was really in response to this post. Thanks.
Old November 28th, 2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Neeley, my comment was really in response to this post. Thanks.
Thank you Mark for clearing that up.
Old November 28th, 2015, 07:43 AM

I'm a little confused by this thread. Aren't the Procomps basically a copy of the old style Edelbrock head? Can we assume they perform basically the same as the old head?

I'm really wondering what the big deal is here. Engines are just air pumps. A head that is basically a copy of another head should flow close to the same number as the original. From what I've heard the ports, valve sizes, port shape and layout are all the same between the two assuming no one has modified it.

I know there was a thread on here comparing the flow between Procomps and old Edelbrocks and there was no huge difference either way. I'm not trying to stir the pot but I will assume the performance is similar between the two so having performance data about old Edelbrocks should be in the same ball park as the Procomps.

It would make this thread a lot easier on all.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I'm a little confused by this thread. Aren't the Procomps basically a copy of the old style Edelbrock head? Can we assume they perform basically the same as the old head?

I'm really wondering what the big deal is here. Engines are just air pumps. A head that is basically a copy of another head should flow close to the same number as the original. From what I've heard the ports, valve sizes, port shape and layout are all the same between the two assuming no one has modified it.

I know there was a thread on here comparing the flow between Procomps and old Edelbrocks and there was no huge difference either way. I'm not trying to stir the pot but I will assume the performance is similar between the two so having performance data about old Edelbrocks should be in the same ball park as the Procomps.

It would make this thread a lot easier on all.
That is a good point of view except if you view the full throttle list as of to date no procomp head has gone as fast as a edelbrock head. Proof is in the pudding so to speak or 1/4 mi et and mph.This is the point to try and find out what track performance of these heads have been so far.This is not a attempt to discredit them just a search on what anyone ran with them.Thanks for your post.I was thinking that maybe more than one may have been low tens or even a nine something.I know this is a small sector that is why i posted on ROP also. There seemed to be a little more talk about these heads here on this site.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Jim I just have not seem them as a worthy investment. We can debate till we are blue in the face but again just my opinions. And edelbrock hires alot of Mexicans btw so per that agenda it's cheap labor not craftsmanship. I have seen videos of their carb assembly and it looked like a bunch of cleaning ladies gossiping putting carbs together. I'm Mexican btw so it's not some racist bull crap .
I don't care if edelbrock hires oompa loompas, there obviously is better quality control. I'll buy as much as I can that is made in America for American companies!
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:19 PM

Idk i have bought 2 edelbrock carbs with smashed fuel floats which they did not cover !!! and again i dont think anyone runa set of edlebrocks straight out the box. quality is what you make of it.
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:44 PM

I think tons of people run them right out of the box! If they couldn't then edelbrock probably wouldn't make them! If you take a stock iron headed big block and put out of the box edelbrocks on it you will probably see 40+hp and the obvious weight savings!
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by madmax442
I think tons of people run them right out of the box! If they couldn't then edelbrock probably wouldn't make them! If you take a stock iron headed big block and put out of the box edelbrocks on it you will probably see 40+hp and the obvious weight savings!
Well i am one of those out of the box guys.No port work of any kind.Copper a world of difference between a carb and a intake or heads.Back to my thread not looking for a derail of subject.

Last edited by wr1970; November 28th, 2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:19 AM

I have 2 455 blocks in my garage. One of those will have a set of untouched Edelbrocks someday as well!
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:47 AM

But aren't they as only as good as c castings. What's the point In leaving them box stock kind of a waste imo
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:54 AM

But aren't they as only as good as c castings. What's the point In leaving them box stock kind of a waste imo
I don't know where you come up with that c head and eldebrock being the same!I have heard that but after using both on same engine i don't think they are. JMO I went about 6 tenths faster with the ebrocks.
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:54 AM

Both Pro-Comps and E-brocks are basically a stock replacement head with a couple of improvements; slightly better flow, crossovers filled, center divider, and a little more quench pad. The issue isn't whether any of them really flow better, it is a decision whether to invest the time and/or money in rebuilding the iron heads. It is clear that you can go fast with iron, many have done so, it just takes more time to port, etc. As in all things, it just comes down to preference and budget.
Old November 29th, 2015, 06:00 AM

Both Pro-Comps and E-brocks are basically a stock replacement head with a couple of improvements; slightly better flow, crossovers filled, center divider, and a little more quench pad. The issue isn't whether any of them really flow better, it is a decision whether to invest the time and/or money in rebuilding the iron heads. It is clear that you can go fast with iron, many have done so, it just takes more time to port, etc. As in all things, it just comes down to preference and budget.
I think you are wrong Jim about going faster with Iron heads.Prove it!!!The Full Throttle List does not reflect your view.I just told copper i went faster can you not read with aluminum ebrocks.I know you said fast but The irons are not a better head according to what myself and others have done. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.If they were with in a tenth maybe two i would totally agree with you but they were not the only change was heads on my engine.

Last edited by wr1970; November 29th, 2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
I think you are wrong Jim about going faster with Iron heads.Prove it!!!The Full Throttle List does not reflect your view.I just told copper i went faster can you not read with aluminum ebrocks.

I can read just fine, thank you. Can you construct a proper, coherent sentence? A bit rude for this early in the morning. I never said fast with STOCK iron heads, did I? I did NOT say FASTER with iron heads, did I? I never said out of the box aluminum heads were not an upgrade over stock iron, did I? I said,
" It is clear that you can go fast with iron, many have done so, it just takes more time to port, etc."
I am a proponent of using aftermarket aluminum heads over iron in most instances, you can research my posts if you like.

Last edited by captjim; November 29th, 2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 06:49 AM

I can read just fine, thank you. Can you construct a proper, coherent sentence? A bit rude for this early in the morning. I never said fast with STOCK iron heads, did I? I did NOT say FASTER with iron heads, did I? I never said out of the box aluminum heads were not an upgrade over stock iron, did I? I said,
" It is clear that you can go fast with iron, many have done so, it just takes more time to port, etc."
I am a proponent of using aftermarket aluminum heads over iron in most instances, you can research my posts if you like.
I don't think you have stated any facts!You are reaching because you don't know.Your basis is not on use of these parts.So if that is rude then i am sorry.

Quick Reply: Pro comp heads on a race engine