The DRCE Engine and other topics.

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2015, 08:04 PM

The DRCE Engine and other topics.

First is the DRCE going to fall in a non olds engine category? 2nd if a car that is a olds body and is using this DRCE motor does that mean it falls in non olds because of motor? What about a *****'s using a olds motor? Chevy in a olds body olds motor in a chevy ect.Does a Olds body represent oldsmobile? Does a olds motor in a different brands represent olds? I know my thoughts but it is clear there may be mixed feelings this is not a dog fight thread!!!!!Part of these Questions is to determine what to add to The Racing list that is yet to be made for the racing forum. In the case of the DRCE it is clear to me that it was a after market engine designed to represent olds in Drag racing!! That is IMO. This post was made so as not to disrupt the other thread about making changes in the racing and performance forum. ERIC oldcutlass if this is out of the guidelines of this forum move it delete it or whatever.

Last edited by wr1970; June 8th, 2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Change the Header to correct DRCE
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:12 PM
72 Olds CS

whats a DRC engine ?
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:18 PM
same but different

Its a chevy engine.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=drce%20block
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM

Drag racing competition . Was. A factory olds engine that Gm parts catalog sold
Warren Jonson used them to set the 1320 on fire.
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
whats a DRC engine ?
Warren Johnson and others developed this special engine to be able to compete in Drag Racing. The reason was olds motors power limits had been exceeded to the point the factory engines even after being modified the engine could not compete.So the birth of DRCE. Other maybe can explain it better.The heads are similar in chevy design. The block may even except a BBC head i don't know i have never laid eyes on one in person. The block has a small rocket on it!

Last edited by wr1970; June 8th, 2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:34 PM

DRCE is an Olds engine, designed by Olds engineers based on the BBC but with many changes and improvements.
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
DRCE is an Olds engine, designed by Olds engineers based on the BBC but with many changes and improvements.
Well put and i edited my post i left off the E. Tried to change the header!
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:48 AM

Any olds engine in anything gets my attention. An olds without an olds engine I don't look at twice, I get completely un interested
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Fixed your header.
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:52 AM

The DRCE is an Olds engine in the sense that it has an Olds part number. We all know that it was based off of the BBC with improvements by WJ/Olds. I still consider it an Olds but just not in the traditional sense. I don't think it should be included in any type of "list". JMO.
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chadman
The DRCE is an Olds engine in the sense that it has an Olds part number.
Actually, since the DRCE was never factory installed in anything, it has a GM Performance Parts part number (22536161 for the aluminum version of the original DRCE block), just like the Chevy crate motors that were never factory installed in anything.

Besides, does the Rocket Block (an SBC with mods by Olds sold when everyone was running SBCs in Olds bodies on the drag strip) count as an Olds motor? I think not. It did have a raised Olds rocket emblem cast into the side of the block (hence the name). By the way, the Rocket Block carries GMPP part number 22551788.

FYI, for those not familiar with the Rocket Block:

Originally Posted by enginelabs
GM then mandated a little organization and split up the racing disciplines among its divisions. One of the moves was to give Oldsmobile priority in drag racing (which explains why Pro Stock body styles were so boring in that era), so Olds approached Maskin to build a drag racing block that would accept the popular aftermarket gear designed for the GM Corporate small-block platform — which was basically the Gen I Chevy.

The result was the famed Rocket block, which offered wider pan rails, a raised cam location, optional main sizes and optional deck heights. All those modifications were geared to allowing longer stroke cranks and cylinder bores up to 4.187 inches. Big-block displacements were then possible in a small-block. (The Rocket block is now marketed by Dart under the Iron Eagle brand.)
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:59 AM

There's actually been 3 DRCE variations. The latest is the DRCE 3 which is the best of them. It was the cause of P/S ET's going down substantially. The main factor was it has the cam raised up so far that it allowes shorter push rods that allow the engines to turn over 10K without valve train failure. You haven't lived till you see a P/S engine on the dyno,it's absolutely a screamer. I have been to WJ's shop on many occasions and have seen his engines on the dyno. To see a working P/S shop is unbelievable and I've never seen so many crankshafts in my life. WJ told me his first deal with Olds/GM was,for every Hurst Olds sold in 83/84,he got a $100 put in his fund/sponsorship.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; June 9th, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
There's actually been 3 DRCE variations.
Yeah, but wasn't the first one the only one that was branded as an Olds? After Olds dropped out of Pro Stock, WJ moved to Pontiac and the DRCE2s used Poncho logo valve covers. I think the 3s are just Chevy-branded since Pontiac is DOA.

By the way, interesting bit of trivia. When Chrysler first came back into P/S racing with the new Hemi, they didn't really have an appropriate block that could go to 500 cu in. For the first few years NHRA let them use DRCE short blocks with Chrysler "Hemi" heads.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:35 AM

Olds really slapped Chevy in the face when they fixed all the design limitations and mistakes of the BBC with the DRCE. A fresh sheet of paper engine would simply have been another engine. Olds was able to use a lot of aftermarket and existing parts the way they proceeded, while showing Chevy how they should have designed the engine. The DRCE had the rocket cast onto the block, and the Olds bellhousing pattern.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:55 AM

My vote would be to NOT include the DRCE as the basic foundation is a Chevy Engine and a lot or all of the internals do not swap over/interchange to the Olds rocket platform which most of us here subscribe to. Any body and chassis powered by the traditional olds Rocket engine should be included.
Old June 9th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, but wasn't the first one the only one that was branded as an Olds? After Olds dropped out of Pro Stock, WJ moved to Pontiac and the DRCE2s used Poncho logo valve covers. I think the 3s are just Chevy-branded since Pontiac is DOA.

By the way, interesting bit of trivia. When Chrysler first came back into P/S racing with the new Hemi, they didn't really have an appropriate block that could go to 500 cu in. For the first few years NHRA let them use DRCE short blocks with Chrysler "Hemi" heads.
In the beginning there were two variations,the DRCE1 Olds & Pontiac. With the DRCE 2 there was only one version. I have a set of magnesium valve covers that came from WJ's 83 Hurst Olds that have the Oldsmobile script. I also have a single DRCE 2 cast cover that has Oldsmobile block style lettering. I also have a set of the DRCE 1 magnesium covers that has 'HURST OLDS' metal plate on them. WJ told me the 'HURST OLDS' covers were from the Cars & Concepts display and were the only set. When the DRCE 3 came out,they ran the 3 heads on the 2 block till they got the 3 block sorted out.

Actually what happened with the Mopar deal was,after the infamous Wayne County Speed Shop break in where all of the engines were destroyed,they came up with a new set of heads that was fitted to the GM DRCE block. NHRA let them slide with it for a while till GM made them stop using it. That's when the new so called hemi was made available. The Mopar P/S hemi isn't a hemi in the true sense. In a true hemi,the plug sits between the valves. The current hemi is more like the Phord shotgun engine.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
My vote would be to NOT include the DRCE as the basic foundation is a Chevy Engine and a lot or all of the internals do not swap over/interchange to the Olds rocket platform which most of us here subscribe to. Any body and chassis powered by the traditional olds Rocket engine should be included.
The facts are that if an engine wasn't an assembly line installed engine,to the purist it's not accepted. The only engine(s) that would be accepted is the Olds experimental engines.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Actually what happened with the Mopar deal was,after the infamous Wayne County Speed Shop break in where all of the engines were destroyed,they came up with a new set of heads that was fitted to the GM DRCE block.
That's right, I had forgotten about that.

The Mopar P/S hemi isn't a hemi in the true sense.
Which is why I wrote it as "hemi" in quotes above. The street version of the new motor isn't a real "hemi" either, despite what the emblems may say.

In a true hemi,the plug sits between the valves.
Not really. Here is a first gen Chysler hemi head:

In a true hemi, the combustion chamber is hemispherical, hence the name. Plug location does not make it a hemi. Here is a 426 combustion chamber:

And here's a Gen III "hemi" chamber:

This is also why four valve motors, like the W-43, aren't true hemi motors either, despite the plug location.

Old June 9th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

The facts are that if an engine wasn't an assembly line installed engine,to the purist it's not accepted.
Not true at all. The 305 Chebby was an assembly line installed engine and NO ONE accepts it...

I also certainly wouldn't kick a DRCE out of my engine compartment. Heck with the BOP bellhousing pattern it bolts right up.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:29 AM

Not true at all. The 305 Chebby was an assembly line installed engine and NO ONE accepts it...

I also certainly wouldn't kick a DRCE out of my engine compartment. Heck with the BOP bellhousing pattern it bolts right up.
I'll tell you a story. I have a buddy who kept telling me about this 78 Olds Cutlass he had with 9K miles on it. I told him I'd go as high as $500-$600 for it. So he says he's bringing it to the local cruise in for me to see. When I saw the Chevy engine,I withdrew my offer.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:30 AM

I can probably hook you up with WJ on that DRCE engine.
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I can feel the pain in your wallet from here...
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Thank you for moving this thread! I didn't really think about it much because of being caught up in the amount of traffic of the other forum. I was having internet issues early on and now have resolved them.I tried to PM you to move it but you took care of it.
Old June 9th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Got your pm, sorry I didn't respond, got busy.
Old June 9th, 2015, 03:29 PM

Wow! All the effort put forth by a living legend means nothing when it comes to a DRCE! This thread is in Drag racing and this motor was designed by olds engineers and Warren Johnson.Why does factory installed motors modified and aftermarket engines that were designed for racing are not good enough to be listed as builds or on a Racing list of Olds race cars?
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:59 PM

Throwing in the towel not enough support on this site for change!This is why other brands have more and better parts because they were willing to make the effort and this is lacking in our hobby.This forum is stagnate for a reason! Now i know.I am sorry i even thought there was a chance. To many complain. Just a sad thing.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Does that negate the NASCAR blocks too then ? I don't know all the ins and outs of the Drce set up but a Aluminum DRCE would be a cool piece to own .
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:54 AM

I have 6 complete engines, plus a lot of extra parts. They were all set up for an offshore race boat. I'm not going to go this direction with the boat. What do you think they are worth, all or part. 805-450-3355. Roy...

Last edited by getreal; February 10th, 2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:00 AM

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
motor.jpg (313.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg
motor-1.jpg (272.2 KB, 105 views)
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:49 AM

If it's got a Rocket Logo on the side, I'm all in!

getreal: I'd love a 10-71 blown DRCE sitting in between the fender wells of the Draggin' Wagon! Those look nice, do you know if they are v1, v2 or v3?
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:52 PM

I have a set of DRCE Olds valve covers for sale if anyone has interest. 275.00 plus the ride.
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmike1972
If it's got a Rocket Logo on the side, I'm all in!

getreal: I'd love a 10-71 blown DRCE sitting in between the fender wells of the Draggin' Wagon! Those look nice, do you know if they are v1, v2 or v3?
They are Version 1 engines.
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:21 AM

Olds really slapped Chevy in the face when they fixed all the design limitations and mistakes of the BBC with the DRCE. A fresh sheet of paper engine would simply have been another engine. Olds was able to use a lot of aftermarket and existing parts the way they proceeded, while showing Chevy how they should have designed the engine. The DRCE had the rocket cast onto the block, and the Olds bellhousing pattern.
==================================
Distributorless, or did they put the dist'r on the proper side of the cam so that it is pushed down against a support face in the block?

Ah I see based on this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502572

that they used the brand C method of pushing UPwards on the dist'r shaft.
What happened to eliminating the shortcomings? How can that be better?

Last edited by Octania; February 18th, 2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old March 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by getreal
I have 6 complete engines, plus a lot of extra parts. They were all set up for an offshore race boat. I'm not going to go this direction with the boat. What do you think they are worth, all or part. 805-450-3355. Roy...

What do you have for extra intake manifolds ??