Going to do it...EFI for the 442

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2014, 06:30 PM

Going to do it...EFI for the 442

After much research and soul searching I've finally decided to put an EZ-EFI 2.0 self tuning EFI system in the car. It's a clone W-30 and will never be worth much more than it is right now but I bought it to drive it locally and for shows & meets out of town. So I'll upgrade the fuel system with an Aeromotive Phantom 340 intank pump, filter, pressure regulator, and hi pressure fuel lines. Then I'll install the new CD ignition, dual synch distributor and the EFI throttle body and ECU from F.A.S.T. Connect it all up and see how it works. A couple of members here have/are using the system now and are very happy with it.
I'll keep a photo record and post my progress on here while I go. Any words of advice will always be welcome.
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:20 PM

A detailed write up with pics at each step would be a great way to document something that is of great interest to me and I suspect many others. I'm curious to see what the issues are, if any, with an aftermarket FI system. Done right I think FI beats a carburetor in almost every respect.

I proved it to myself on my last project (36 Chevy) with an LT1 and factory ECM which I had reprogrammed and then wired those things I wanted computer controlled into the ECM harness. It was a tough several months of learning but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was totally reliable, had great performance and got good mileage. Even the 4L60e was computer controlled. The warning light, ALDL and a reader quickly pinpointed any issues and I could get straight to solving them without hours of diagnostics. Factory manual for the donor car engine is mandatory though.
Best of luck with your project.
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:35 AM

Will do. Been researching for months now and it is clear their will be a performance, reliability and gas mileage increase. Just curious how much troubleshooting I'll have to get it right. Important to document this one since I have my 62 Ford F-100 next. Putting the suspension in now on that one.
Old January 1st, 2015, 04:04 PM

Pay attention to the details, and you won't be disappointed.
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldracerjones
After much research and soul searching I've finally decided to put an EZ-EFI 2.0 self tuning EFI system in the car. dual sync distributor . Any words of advice will always be welcome.

If you're using the EZ I don't think it will run in sequential, so you don't need the dual sync.
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:52 PM

CutlassEFI, from what I read the dual synch is the only way for the EZ system to control your timing. Without it, no timing control is possible. Did I read this wrong?
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:59 PM

EZ Documentation

CutlassEFI, from what I read the dual synch is the only way for the EZ system to control your timing. Without it, no timing control is possible. Did I read this wrong?
Here is their literature.

Electronic fuel pressure measurement is standard on all kits, and all kits work with a wet nitrous system, providing built-in nitrous timing retard and special nitrous AFR targeting. EZ-Ignition™ features an EZ-Solution™ option, meaning that it is plug-and-play with FAST™ Distributors for electronic timing control or can be used with an EFI distributor of your choice and a FAST™ Crank Trigger. Or the system can be used to control fuel only (Like original EZ-EFI®) and be used with a standard carb-type distributor (Ex. HEI) where timing is set manually.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:01 AM

Here is their literature.

Electronic fuel pressure measurement is standard on all kits, and all kits work with a wet nitrous system, providing built-in nitrous timing retard and special nitrous AFR targeting. EZ-Ignition™ features an EZ-Solution™ option, meaning that it is plug-and-play with FAST™ Distributors for electronic timing control or can be used with an EFI distributor of your choice and a FAST™ Crank Trigger. Or the system can be used to control fuel only (Like original EZ-EFI®) and be used with a standard carb-type distributor (Ex. HEI) where timing is set manually.

Dual syncs are for running in sequential only. They have 2 pickups, one for ignition, one for cam location. The EZ Throttle body system (I'm guessing that's what you're going to run) operates in batch, no need for a dual sync.
Have you purchased everything already? If not I can help.

Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 2nd, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:13 PM

CutlassEFI, PM sent.