Now we are the fast guys....

Old March 24th, 2014, 07:12 AM
car guy

Now we are the fast guys....

So I had an epiphany Friday night at the track. I've been going to the track for 10+ years and when I started going and learning with cars in the 1/8mile 7-8 sec range I'd alway look in awe when someone would pull up and make a low 6 sec pass or faster wondering what it takes to make a car that fast. Those guys would just go around the long lines of cars waiting and always have a bunch of guys around thier pits trying to see what was going on.

I am not sure when it happened but as we were pulling past 50 cars in line to make a pass and all the guys around our pits wondering how the heck our car was a lot faster than a lot or race cars that night it hit me that "we" or now the guys I wanted to be.

We were not happy with the performance and still in the sort out stage of the cars nitrous tune. The car is in the 5.8x's but we think there is some 5.5x in its future. It was popping a little and the driver / owner let out. The 5.8x was at only 109 MPH since he shut off early. Not so long ago a 5.8x would have made us do back flips and now its just .......ehh whats wrong with it
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:53 AM

Congratulations! most people don't understand the amount of work and dedication it takes to get to goals like that. Same thing happened to me in another sport. It just creeps up on you and one day it hits you. At my 3rd freestyle FMX show I had to leave as soon as I could. After the show I went directly to get the ramp folded up and hooked to the truck. A couple kids were watching me the entire time but I had not thought about what they were doing. After I was done they came up wanting my autograph. I had signed several in the previous two shows but when they took that much effort to get one... That is when it hit me.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:35 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Congratulations! most people don't understand the amount of work and dedication it takes to get to goals like that. Same thing happened to me in another sport. It just creeps up on you and one day it hits you. At my 3rd freestyle FMX show I had to leave as soon as I could. After the show I went directly to get the ramp folded up and hooked to the truck. A couple kids were watching me the entire time but I had not thought about what they were doing. After I was done they came up wanting my autograph. I had signed several in the previous two shows but when they took that much effort to get one... That is when it hit me.
Thats too cool man.
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:38 AM

Mine hit me when we were at a track rental at Capitol two years ago. I was testing and tuning my '69 W-31 and a racing friend came up to me and said he remembered my car from 45 years ago. It seems I was pitted in the exact same spot as the last time he saw my car in 1970. Same car, same paint, same track, different owner/driver. My avatar is that track---May 1969 Capitol Raceway.