New Olds serpentine setup

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2018, 06:35 PM

How is the project progressing? I'm currently looking for a Serpentine set up for my '55 Olds 324 with A/C. Would yours lend itself to mine and when might one be available?
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:18 AM

I may put it on my BBO in my '68 H/O for testing this summer, if not, have another SBO it will end up on. I'm guessing it's not close to working on a 324, but I've never had my hands on one to check it out...
Old February 14th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Is this set up in production yet
Old March 13th, 2018, 09:02 PM

Also very interested for a BBO setup.
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:44 PM

Not ready yet... I'm traveling a ton for work, so any car projects move at a snail's pace. I need to have my H/O ready for the 50th anniversary meet this summer, then I'll be ready to mess with the serpentine again.
Old March 15th, 2018, 05:42 AM

CVF Racing makes them now:

https://www.cvfracing.com/serpentine...all-inclusive/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CVF-OldsSerp.jpg (105.5 KB, 26 views)
Old March 15th, 2018, 06:50 AM

Yep. It's worth trying for someone who is in the market. Price on the one I designed won't be lower. The CVF setup mounts/cantilevers everything off one plate instead of two plates. It allows them to fit a mechanical fuel pump behind it (you can see a stock pump in the pictures, though I'm not sure you'll have the space to get a hard line routed out of it). I had considered something like this, but wanted plates front and rear of the accessories. Not trashing it, just my observations.
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Luke - you back in Chicago yet?
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:25 PM

I have a '67 Toronado that I'm rebuilding and upgrading a few things. I don't want to leave the A6 Frigidare compressor on so your conversion would fit right into my plans. The problem with the Toronado is on the divers side there is a transmission bracket that probably will get in the way of the PS pump, depending on how you attach it. The other thing is that HEIGHT is an issue on an early Toro. Currently the Alt on the passenger side and the old PS pump on the drivers are about the highest that the hood will clear. Has anyone else asked about this conversion. Thanks.......
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:50 PM

We had the system on a car with some road testing miles last year, it did pretty well. We had some minor issues that we think we have figured out, and were ready for testing again this year, but the test car is currently apart due to some other issues (possible trans/flexplate type stuff). We are hoping to have testing wrapped up this summer and the design essentially finalized for those that would want it made through Larry.

I can say that it kept a 10:1 compression iron-headed small block cool on hot days, and it's been pretty dang good overall. We did fight a little belt squeal on startup but found that my friend forgot to put the alternator spacer on, so the belt likely wasn't maintaining tension and the alternator was probably hopping around. I'll have three people jumping in to tell me to add an idler pulley for more belt wrap, but I really have no time or motivation for that...
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:41 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Luke it looks really easy to add an idler just to the right of the A/C compressor. I have Larry's adapter brackets with a 94 truck setup on my 88. There was a lot of cutting of the chebby brackets to run the mechanical fuel pump.
Old June 28th, 2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
We had the system on a car with some road testing miles last year, it did pretty well. We had some minor issues that we think we have figured out, and were ready for testing again this year, but the test car is currently apart due to some other issues (possible trans/flexplate type stuff). We are hoping to have testing wrapped up this summer and the design essentially finalized for those that would want it made through Larry.

I can say that it kept a 10:1 compression iron-headed small block cool on hot days, and it's been pretty dang good overall. We did fight a little belt squeal on startup but found that my friend forgot to put the alternator spacer on, so the belt likely wasn't maintaining tension and the alternator was probably hopping around. I'll have three people jumping in to tell me to add an idler pulley for more belt wrap, but I really have no time or motivation for that...
Good to hear that there were no over heating issues. I just pulled my 70 supreme into the driveway to install the 496. I'm thinking of making another set of your design for this car. I'll have to contact you about the small revisions that we talked about before, and if Tom wants me too make these changes to the prtottype set I could do it the same time I make my set.
Old July 1st, 2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I have Larry's adapter brackets with a 94 truck setup on my 88. There was a lot of cutting of the chebby brackets to run the mechanical fuel pump.
I have to give you a whole lot a credit. I did all the cutting on a CNC MILL.

I knew it could be done by hand, but with a lot of test fitting.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by O.P.LARRY
Good to hear that there were no over heating issues. I just pulled my 70 supreme into the driveway to install the 496. I'm thinking of making another set of your design for this car. I'll have to contact you about the small revisions that we talked about before, and if Tom wants me too make these changes to the prtottype set I could do it the same time I make my set.
Awesome. Yep, let's talk soon. I'll work on finding my change notes, which are written on a piece of paper somewhere in the basement.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:45 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by O.P.LARRY
I have to give you a whole lot a credit. I did all the cutting on a CNC MILL.

I knew it could be done by hand, but with a lot of test fitting.
A lot of trial and error. Where you cut helped a lot, gave me a starting point.