Need advice plz $3500. crazy price? seems cheap

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Hookers under Hood

Need advice plz $3500. crazy price? seems cheap

I need some help from the big block guys, Is this worth the $$? Would any of my 350 parts fit ? eb performer eb 600 cfm headers , dist, etc .
View larger image

Date Listed 23-Nov-13 Last Edited 01-Jan-14 Price $3,500.00 Address Mississauga, ON L5S 1P5, Canada
View map Make Oldsmobile

This is a 1972 engine freshly built never installed ** dyno time only**

Features:

Forged aluminum pistons +030"
W30 hydraulic camshaft
"G" heads with 3-angle valve job, bronze guides and positive seals.
New 2.07/1.688 valves
Comp Cam valve springs
Completely balanced and blueprinted
Full performance machining done to block with torque plates etc.

Made 380hp 480 ft/lbs

Last edited by 76olds; January 15th, 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Probably
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Carb and distributor would fit. Headers would fit on the engine, not in the car. Intake will not fit. Brackets and accessories will fit. Seems like a low price, but it can't be easy to sell an Olds engine built to a previous person's specs.
Steve
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Justin

My local shop quoted me
2800 with 10.1 pistons now I can't remember witch ones but they were on the cheap side for olds like 450 this was a basic rebuild with light port on the heads I would say unless it has some quality parts like rods pistons and crank might be over priced

At the same time I know guys a
On here are into there 455 well over 8k it just come down to quality of parts and if there is extra machine work done
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM

It depends on if there was some kind of warrenty since you really dont know the reputation of the shop. Looks pretty but how will it last...
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Hookers under Hood

I haven't called about it yet I figured it was cheap as I have seen prices in here from 6k and up for the 455, I would like to put a bbo in place of my sbo in my 76. Is ther any ?s I could ask about the build and check back here with you guys ? It appears to be listed sine nov 2013 so I don't think its going anywhere anytime soon, Given the economic times here as well.

Last edited by 76olds; January 15th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:26 PM

Have the owner supply you with a complete build sheet then post it here
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:26 PM

I saw this listing. Probably worth it. If it's blueprinted he should have the spec sheet. Ask for the invoice and where it was machined and assembled.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for your help guys I will give him a call 2morro and see what he has on the build. If anyone else is interested the US dollar could play a good part on the purchase up here if he's desperate to unload it. I'll let everyone know my findings.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by holiday88
I saw this listing. Probably worth it. If it's blueprinted he should have the spec sheet. Ask for the invoice and where it was machined and assembled.

I just spoke with him on the phone, he has all the info on the build along with the builder he says it was a very good build so I guess we will see. Just waiting on the email and will post .

Thanks again Guys Eric
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

Headers would fit on the engine, not in the car.

I have the headman shortys ceramic coated although not installed on my 350 yet. Does this mean no headers will fit given my vehicle ? Sorry guys just getting a little excited here.

Last edited by 76olds; January 15th, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Administrator

You might consider a lesser offer and see where that goes. It has good parts in it. I would use long tubes on a BB.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You might consider a lesser offer and see where that goes. It has good parts in it.

I just might Eric, he is going to email me the build sheet and I will post it here. I'd like to wait on your suggestions after I post the sheet.

Thanks
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Justin

If he has the paper work if you could get it for 3500 or less I would say good score have him give you the dyno sheet as well
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldstata
If he has the paper work if you could get it for 3500 or less I would say good score have him give you the dyno sheet as well

Well I already told him I was interested for the asking price if everything looks good, I should have counted too ten before I sent the email lol. Oh well after I post the findings and you guys feel its a good deal then I'll be happy with the 35 hun!!

You Have Sent A Reply To A Kijiji Ad Hi storm_tooling@hotmail.com! You have sent the following email to " 455 Oldsmobile Engine **new** High Performance " Ad on Kijiji:
Hello Jeff , I spoke with you earlier this evening requesting the build sheet specs, I'm interested in the engine for the asking price. Could you also provide the builder as well. Thanks Eric
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by 76olds
I just might Eric, he is going to email me the build sheet and I will post it here. I'd like to wait on your suggestions after I post the sheet.

Thanks

Hey your last post has his email I would edit it just a FYI
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:58 AM

re

I may be the only one with this train of thought but I never seen you post your intentions for this car and motor?
Are you looking for a motor just to drive around or are you looking for more power?
It looks like a fair price if your looking for a close to stock motor. If your wanting more power than stock than I feel like you could find a more radical motor that is very low mile for mot much more money. Its all in what you are looking for. I wouldn't pay that for the motor if my intention was to pull the heads, change the cam etc.
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=real57vetteguy;641799]I may be the only one with this train of thought but I never seen you post your intentions for this car and motor?
Are you looking for a motor just to drive around or are you looking for more power?
It looks like a fair price if your looking for a close to stock motor.

I purchased the 76' 2002. 77k miles just planning to do body work, new bumpers get rid of vinyl roof, new front end parts suspension with rear air shocks & interior $9k done.
Had no intentions with my motor until I bent a connecting rod and had the 350 stock refreshed 2012. 116k miles $3k done. Running stock rallies 205 75 15 with a decent chirp . Wanted a little more curb appeal out of it so 2013 Threw cragars with bfg 235 60 15,s couldn't get rubber out of it.
Hmmm.. Put an eb intake, eb 600, 1" spacer , taylor 8mm spiro pro's, bosch plugs, accel coil, module, cap, rotor, 2 1/4 duals from the manifolds with magna flow 50's, hurst shift kit, ran 10-30 mobil 1 synthetic. Certainly picked it up a bit but still couldn't turn the tires off the line just got a slight squak out of second at wot.
Fall 2013 purchased hedman ceramic coated shorties, remflex graphites, No time to install stored the car. Since joining CO I asked several ?'s with good feed back. This has led me to purchase posi rear, 3:42 gears , a decent diff cover, with the awesome advice of others here,
without knowing what was under my modifications. My intentions are to now put a different motor in the car 350-455 no preference really just want more seat of the pants power, No racing no drags just taking out real57vetts lol. Ok nuff of that!!
So I'm looking at a motor upgrade in which I seen this one listed for 35hun. I could spend more but my wife is high maint. as well anuf said ther . 2 teens in hockey, snowboarding, summer golf memberships, weekends at the trailer with Jack Daniels. Given this too make a long story longer No intentions just have the want to have lots of power bug.!! Thanks for the tip on a one up from stock motor !!!!

Last edited by 76olds; January 16th, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:31 PM

I would change the cam. It sounds like a generic grind,and there is a variety of modern camshafts that will make better power,and yet maintain drivability.
He should have all the paperwork,if he had it built.
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I would change the cam. It sounds like a generic grind,and there is a variety of modern camshafts that will make better power,and yet maintain drivability.
He should have all the paperwork,if he had it built.

Thanks for the input, I'm still waiting on the email to confirm. I did speak briefly with him last night, said he would look for the paper work so I guess its a sit and wait deal. 455's are hard to find up here so I'll see what happens.
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:37 PM

It's not that easy selling a engine that even though it's fresh with a lot of new parts/machine work, yada, yada that's "not" running. Guys will put 6/8 K doing an engine before buying a "done" engine at half the price. That's my $.50 on the dollar rule with Oldsmobiles. If I bought it, I would pull the pan and inspect a couple rod & main bearings. If the bearings look good then put it together, prime it and cross your fingers. Just kidding. Use good zinc oil and a NAPA gold filter. Run it like your braking it in. That engine should be knocking on the door of 12 seconds if your combo and tuning is correct. Jmo, Ken
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Hookers under Hood

Kenny,That's why I'm asking for help here and thank-you for the advice, You do see a lot of fresh painted junk up here lol, so I just want to be sure . If it don't pan out I've seen posts from others who do building here so either way I will get something before summer.
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

Here is the deal on this engine guys, just thought I would post this ,I'm not sure which way to go with this guy now? Any suggestions ?

From:beattywoods (beattywoods@primus.ca)Sent:January-17-14 3:47:41 PMTo: storm_tooling@hotmail.com

Eric:

Here is the parts/labour list of the 455 Olds engine.

Now,... I have good news and bad news for you:

This engine has sold and is no longer available,... that's the bad news.

The good news: I took in another 455 core (block crank rods and heads) on trade from the purchaser. So,... I am able to prepare another
455 Olds identical to the previous one and list it for sale. Normally I would do this over spare time/down time here at the shop (there seems to be a market for them)

In all honesty I would normally ask more money to build one from scratch and dyno it etc. However, if you were interested in getting this one I would honour the original price and include
the same parts and labour operations (ie: not cut corners and cheap out)

Also,.. if you wanted to make any changes in design etc (ie camshaft, intake manifold etc) you can do so with with very little extra cost (if any)

Also,... you would be able to see the engine when it runs on the dyno for your self.

I am going to proceed with preparing this engine regardless,... if you are interested in then I would push it through in a timely manner,.. not simply in my spare time.

I’m still looking for the dyno sheet,.. I know I have it,.. just haven't located it yet.

Let me know if your still interested,.... its not like the one I have is going anywhere quick,... but like I said,.. I will gladly make any changes to the design if it suits your requirements

Parts List

Forged aluminum dish pistons 9.25:1 compression
2M644-030 Hasting ring
J951 Melling lifters
M22FS Melling oil pump
25310 Melling camshaft (W30)
O-4 Durabond cam bearings
C3082K Cloyes timing set
36308-1 Crane valve spring, retainer and lock kit
10-1002 Qualcast intake valve
10-1210 Qualcast exhaust valve
Qualcast frost plug kit
MS804P Clevite main bearings
CP542 Clevite rod bearings
1132 Bronze valve guides
OS-814 Pioneer positive valve seals
BS40032 Felpro rear main seal
8171PT1 Felpro head gaskets
TCS13417 Felpro timing cover gasket kit
VS13403c felpro valve cover gasket set
404 MrGasket intake gasket
405 Mrgasket oil pan gasket
80022 Professional products harmonic dampener
10w-30 Joe Gibbs break in oil
185-6001 ARP connecting rod bolts
LF222 Hastings oil filter

Complete performance block prep package including:

Thermal burn and blast
Minor de-burr work
Tap/chase all bolt holes
Bore and hone with torque plates +030
Machine decks square to crank with BHJ fixture
Align hone main saddles
Install cam bearings and plugs

Complete performance head package including:

Thermal burn and blast
Install bronze guides
Machine guides for positive seals
Multi-angle valve job on Sunnen VGS
Resurface both castings decks
Resurface exhaust manifold flange
Machine intake flange for exhaust cross over block plate
CC combustion chambers (79 cc)

Complete rotating assembly prep including:

Dismount connecting rods
Degrease rods and crankshaft
Magnaflux inspect rods and crank
Install ARP bolt kit
Resize connecting rods
Hone pin-ends of rods
Mount pistons/rods
Balance rotating assembly.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:29 PM

He's going to do all that for $3500.00 and dyno it?

I don't believe all that work can be done for that but go for it if you want to.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
He's going to do all that for $3500.00 and dyno it?

I don't believe all that work can be done for that but go for it if you want to.

Thanks for the advice, I spoke with him yesterday and its wasn't sold, mentioned to me he was trying to find the build/dyno info. Now today I get this email so I'm having second thoughts about him, the dyno well its sold now so he doesn't need to look for it lol. Just seems kinda sketchy. I guess I'm happy I didn't throw $3500. away.

Last edited by 76olds; January 17th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Well I see not much if any improvement as far as HP upgrade over stock, Actually those pistons are low compression units. Parts will prob run about 1000 and since he has a shop 2500 is for him. I guess that is the going rate these days. Its up to you but I would opt for higher compression pistons.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Well I see not much if any improvement as far as HP upgrade over stock, Actually those pistons are low compression units. Parts will prob run about 1000 and since he has a shop 2500 is for him. I guess that is the going rate these days. Its up to you but I would opt for higher compression pistons.

Thanks opinions are always welcomed ! I think for the time being I will hold off on this deal. Going forward I would like to deal with someone here on the forum rather than blowing cash on a build that someone can't find the dyno results for. I've purchased my rear parts on the site last month so maybe a new motor from CO will be in my near future.

Eric
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, sounds a little too much like that e-mail: "I've got exactly the part you are looking for in your Wanted post, and it's NOS, too!"

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yeah, sounds a little too much like that e-mail: "I've got exactly the part you are looking for in your Wanted post, and it's NOS, too!"

- Eric

LOL, yes I think I'll hang onto my $35hun for now.
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac

X2 on this I would add is he willing to warranty ? Like I mentioned earlier my machine shop quoted 2800 add in a good core at 500 and your just about at your 3500 for a basic rebuild and price goes up with better parts
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:14 PM

My 2cents. I find it funny how some are suggesting cam changes and to increase the compression for more power. He claims the motor makes 380hp. How much power do you need in a street driven car? The cheap gas is over $5 a gallon up here as you know.

Regarding beattywoods , they are well known engine builders in the area. I had them machine two drag motors for me over the years and they were always helpful, so I have some experience with them. I don't know who the seller is but my guess is he's fishing for work, I don't know. That motor was listed for some time and suddenly it sold?
I would call beattywoods and ask them what a similar motor would cost to build. $3500 is a good price for a 380hp motor imo.

Last edited by holiday88; January 17th, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Hookers under Hood

My 2cents. I find it funny how some are suggesting cam changes and to increase the compression for more power. He claims the motor makes 380hp. How much power do you need in a street driven car? The cheap gas is over $5 a gallon up here as you know.

Regarding beattywoods , they are well know engine builders in the area. I had them machine two drag motors for me over the years and they were always helpful, so I have some experience with them. I don't know who the seller is but my guess is he's fishing for work, I don't know. That motor was listed for some time and suddenly it sold?
I would call beattywoods and ask them what a similar motor would cost to build. $3500 is a good price for a 380hp motor imo.

I spoke with Jeff himself @ Beattywoods, I was just taken back by the response to my original discussion with him, Stating the motor was there for quite so time as the customer ran into financial difficulty. That he couldn't find the paper work on the motor and was looking for the dyno results, I spoke with him Thursday afternoon and he stated he was too busy to look but would search and email them Thursday evening. Then I get the email its sold today OK!! Do guys buy a motor siting on the floor overnight with no documentation given its advertised as a high performance built 455 ? I guess so, Maybe I could give him your name as a reference as he mentioned he had another core that he could build for the same $$ or close if I wanted upgrades. Suggestions ??? Holiday88 who did you deal with at the time ?

Last edited by 76olds; January 17th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:40 PM

I did suggest more compression and thought a bit of performance was what was being desired. I mean with your line of thought he should keep the 350 or maybe look for a 260 or maybe 231 v6? There is always a difference of what is needed in life vs what is wanted and what is desired. No problem, as everyone has an opinion, I respect yours.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Hookers under Hood

Yes gas is over $5 a gallon up here or $1.30 + a litre if you may, but my wife spends more than that on her hair and nails each month so that will even things out on my fuel .
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

X2 on this I would add is he willing to warranty ? Like I mentioned earlier my machine shop quoted 2800 add in a good core at 500 and your just about at your 3500 for a basic rebuild and price goes up with better parts

What type of warranty do most builders give on a high performance 455 ?
It was posted as a high performance but other are stating its pretty much a stocker.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by 76olds
What type of warranty do most builders give on a high performance 455 ?
It was posted as a high performance but other are stating its pretty much a stocker.
I don't think they warranty it for 3year36 month but a stand up shop would most likely warranty that it runs up on installation . I mean he could paint it all pretty while it just stander parts with no proof of what's in there or a spun bearing with no new parts
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Hookers under Hood

I don't think they warranty it for 3year36 month but a stand up shop would most likely warranty that it runs up on installation . I mean he could paint it all pretty while it just stander parts with no proof of what's in there or a spun bearing with no new parts

Holiday88 mentioned they are very reputable, I haven't heard of them but then again I haven't had any performance engines built. buddies of mine with chebbies use, Active engines, or wrights in Thornhill.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:51 PM

He will "prepare" another one? Something isn't right.
I have a freshly rebuilt shortblock,not a long block or complete engine,and I can tell you there is no way I would do a complete dynoed engine for $3500.00.
My shortblock is for sale,if you would like to ad your own upper half.
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:37 PM

I'd say go down and have a look. You have nothing to lose. He offered to build another for the same price same parts listed and your choice of cam. Find out what heads come with it.
Search for beatty and woods engines for info on these guys.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:08 PM

Never hurts to look at something but you also get what you pay for. Does this builder know how to build an Olds engine? Does he know to open up the front oil drain back hole? Will he replace the front and rear oil 3/8" Oil Gallery Plug with 0.0400 hole? These are some basic oiling needs for a BBO to run for a long time. I can go on and on about the oiling system in the olds engines but in the end you get what you pay for. Custom olds engine can run up to and over 12K

Quick Reply: Need advice plz $3500. crazy price? seems cheap