Cam and Intake suggestions for supercharged 455

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM

Cam and Intake suggestions for supercharged 455

Im planning on starting my 455 build, for my cutlass, in the next month or so. Im not looking to stop the rotation of the earth on take off but I want the most power I can get with what I have.

engine:
stock "n" crank
stock rods
.030 pistons
stock c heads and rockers
9:1 comp
torker intake
comp 270h cam
car:
t56 manual trans
4.30 gears
28" drag radials

My plan is to run a centrifugal supercharger, procharger or vortech. I know I cant buy a kit to bolt it on, Ill take care of that myself. I figure there is a better cam/intake combo than what I have now and thats where you guys come in. The only thing I want to change is the cam and or intake, I know I could make more power with more changes but I already have this rebuilt engine and it isnt what I really want but am gonna run it while I build what I want from scratch
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:21 PM

An Offenhauser Port-o-Sonic or Holley Street Dominator would be good choices as well, I like the fact that they don't have that dogleg in the end runners.

Cam wise I'd go with something around a 225/240 or so on a 112 at least. Let me know if I can help you there.
You'll be somewhat limited in boost by the stock rods as well so be careful there.

But sounds like a neat project, best of luck!!!

Last edited by cutlassefi; November 27th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:32 PM
car guy

Better rethink that t56. Not going to last 2-3 launches with that kind of torque.

Heads are going to be a big bottle neck. Then the block is going to be on borrowed time.

Why not build a DX motor? It will be much more bullet proof.

I while back I built a BBC mild steet motor about 10 lbs with a Vortec YS made 800 hp. You going blow through? If so I highly recommend Kevin at CSU for the carb.

We put the set up in a heavy azz street truck and went and beat up some petty fast race cars at the track.
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:41 PM

I know the block wont like the abuse but im going to run it hard till it breaks or my next engine is done, Im planning out a 482 n/a build. as for the trans, I already bought it and they can take the most abuse out of everything I can afford, and keep my rpm's down with the 4.30 gears. Im not really looking to make huge hp I just want to make the best out of the engine I already have. I was going to run it n/a but figured I might as well boost it and have a little more fun. Id be completely happy with 400hp at the crank, anything more than that is even better.
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
An Offenhauser Port-o-Sonic or Holley Street Dominator would be good choices as well, I like the fact that they don't have that dogleg in the end runners.

Cam wise I'd go with something around a 225/240 or so on a 112 at least. Let me know if I can help you there.
You'll be somewhat limited in boost by the stock rods as well so be careful there.

But sounds like a neat project, best of luck!!!
Ill probably stick with the torker than, I may be in contact as im leaning towards a roller cam.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Better rethink that t56. Not going to last 2-3 launches with that kind of torque.

Heads are going to be a big bottle neck. Then the block is going to be on borrowed time.

Why not build a DX motor? It will be much more bullet proof.

I while back I built a BBC mild steet motor about 10 lbs with a Vortec YS made 800 hp. You going blow through? If so I highly recommend Kevin at CSU for the carb.

We put the set up in a heavy azz street truck and went and beat up some petty fast race cars at the track.
If I were purpose building a boosted motor I would do a dx block but im just trying to blow up this rebuilt 455 I have laying around. I am very likely to go with a blow through carb although there is a slim chance ill run fuel injection.
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM
car guy

Its not the rpm that will kill it is the torque at launch. If you are only looking for 400 FWHP why in the world do you want to run a blower. You'll need to run a 4lb blow off valve to keep it under 500. Just build it with a TH 400 so you are not towed back to the pits on first launch.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:01 PM

I meant rpm's on the freeway, the t56 .50 6th gear ratio will let me keep up with traffic with my 4.30 gears. I dont want to sound like a jerk but im not looking for advice on the rest of my build, Im not going to change my trans until it actually does break. I dont like autos much, all my cars are manuals. As for the hp Im just trying to put it in to perspective of what im after, obviously I want as much hp as possible, but im just trying to build a solid strong motor without going into a complete build.

Last edited by young olds; November 27th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM

On a side note, what would you recommend for the same engine in an n/a version. I was thinking an airgap intake with I dont know what cam.
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM
car guy

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Have fun.

Here is a good tread about building fast cars with weak links

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ded-video.html
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by young olds
On a side note, what would you recommend for the same engine in an n/a version. I was thinking an airgap intake with I dont know what cam.
Something around a 226/232 on a 110. But I don't think you have enough compression and cam for the Torker at that point, nor the RPM intake. I think if it were a mild build I'd do the regular Performer.

Jmo.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM

I figured the torker was to much if I went n/a but thought I could pull off the airgap, and it looks cool. Are there any off the shelf cams you would recommend for the blower application? I dont want to spend a ton of money because I dont plan on this engine being in the car for very long. Could you give me a ballpark figure $$$ on a roller cam to suit my needs?
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by young olds
I figured the torker was to much if I went n/a but thought I could pull off the airgap, and it looks cool. Are there any off the shelf cams you would recommend for the blower application? I dont want to spend a ton of money because I dont plan on this engine being in the car for very long. Could you give me a ballpark figure $$$ on a roller cam to suit my needs?
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:40 AM

I forgot about this thread, havent worked on this car/engine in years. i did end up with a custom cam from mark and picked up a 4l80e.