Weld pro stars and loose lug nuts.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Weld pro stars and loose lug nuts.

So I have been tooling around in the 72 and things are pretty good. Today while driving home I noticed a light squeeling sound almost like a bad belt. I get home and instantly and check the car over. I find 3 of my lug nuts LOOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!! All the other wheels are fine. I used the washers and tightened them to specs. I figured I would get more help here since it's more of a race wheel. Any input would help. Could it possibly be bad lugs or just old worn studs. I wanna address this the proper way. In sept. im driving this car to the strip and doing a little racing and the car needs to be in tip top shape and of course safe.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:41 PM
Administrator

On aluminum wheels I torque to 95 lbs. Drive it a day and retorque. It's a good idea to periodically check them from time to time, it's aluminum.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM

Make sure the washers are thick enough not that you are bottoming out on the rotor or drum before the wheel is tight.
Second make sure the holes in the wheel are round not oblong, you get oblong holes when driving with loose wheels
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:02 PM

If you break a lug, replace all 5. I spent a whole week living in fear as every time I took a corner I'd pop another lug. If those mags have the old Uni-lug type, get rid of them. They put too much tension on the lugs. Good luck.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:00 AM

I do check em periodically . They are not uni lug. It would not be the first time a wheel came loose on me I just remembered the rallye wheels came loose on me twice just the fronts.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM
jfb

copper i hate to say this but maybe you have a hater around somewhere jo,s are everywhere nowadays! I would put up a super sensitive alarm to catch them then deal with it. I posted ealier that i try to keep a eye on my car all of the time jealous a--es are out there buddie.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM

Im not that paranoid. The car sleeps in the garage and I park it where ever there is a spot whenever I take it out. The holes in general are a lil out of round I could not fit the correct lugs in there I had to carefully file them to get the lugs in. It's a really long explanation but I know why I had to do this. They are used and only the pass. side came loose. Im doing some front end work and I got new hubs and drums going in . I think my studs are a lil worn out.
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Check the wheel for balance. I had a tire on a truck that was out of balance and had to stop every five miles to tighten the lug nuts on the way home.
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM

check all your studs, nuts, and washers. make sure they are not messed up from the wheel movinig back and forth
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:16 PM

They aren't that bad it take a while for them to loosen up. I got new drums for the front and new studs. I been checking em after every trip so far so good.
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Just my opinion but if the wheels needed filed because they were oblong I would suggest getting new wheels. Sounds like they have loosened up before and have been run that way. I just think for safety reasons I would be replacing your life may depend on it. Just my opinion.
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM

They weren't filed a lot. Essentially deburred. There was a burr that would not allow me to put the lug nuts in. It's just the one wheel that got loose and in the past even with conical seat lugs it had gotten loose before.

Last edited by coppercutlass; August 13th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM

I have the same wheels. Had the same problem when I first got them. They kept coming loose every few days. After a month of having to retighten them every few days they have leveled off. I check them every 1000 miles and have to snug up a couple here and there. I think its just the way they are.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Don't Weld Stars use a shank type lug, not conical?
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM

Yes but the original rallye wheels where conical they got loose on me too on the same set of studs. I think it's those studs being worn.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Ah, guess I misunderstood. Wish I had more input for you but my Welds never loosened. I never did anything special to them.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM

I tightened the one wheel that loosened up but all the others where ok. I drove it all weekend and it was still ok. Hopefully with the new studs I have no more issues.