I met Santa Claus

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM

I met Santa Claus

This past Sunday I was blessed with the opportunity to meet one of our members. His name is Richard, but many of you know him as "OLDSMORAT". He swung by my house with a sleigh full of goodies to show me. After talking for quite a while Santa slid two boxes over my way and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

While I won't get into how much I paid, or will pay, I will say this; Santa would not leave with the two boxes no matter what I said. He told me to pay him when I can, it doesn't matter how long it takes. He also told me to install the stuff even before it's fully paid for. I tried arguing with him but Santa is a stubborn old man and he wouldn't have it any other way. After much chagrin I conceded that the deal was done, and it was done according to Santa's terms.

I am happy to have met him, and I feel honored by some of the things he told me. Richard, thanks brother. You are great! I hope to learn many new things from you my friend.

"The Right Stuff" Disc brake conversion kit for my 1972 Supreme Hardtop...this pic only shows the important pieces. This kit is COMPLETE and NIB!

"Performance Muscle Car Technologies" 1320R COMPLETE rear suspension kit. The control arms have spherical joints on the frame side and poly bushings on the rear end side. Again, COMPLETE and NIB.

Old October 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Looks like a nice setup. Can't wait to see it on your car.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Wow Steve, didn't know you were that good this year to get those and early too. Out of curiosity, do you have a type "O" rearend? I think I read it somewhere, but I forget.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
same but different

Thats awesome!

Santa does come early and you just can't argue.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Old October 12th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Old School Olds

Nice. I have visited with Rich
off an on over the last few months.
I am also looking forward to meeting him.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM

You got stuff on Sunday, but are just telling us about it now......... WTF?
J/K, Santa is good!!
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looks like a nice setup. Can't wait to see it on your car.
It should happen next month. I am waiting until after the San Antonio BOP later this month. I haven't run the car since fixing the head gaskets, changing the front springs and shocks, and some other minor things. I need to get a good baseline (an my first 11 second timeslip ) before I start screwing around with the rear suspension and gears...yes, gears

By waiting until next month I can take a little more time and have the rear end stripped and (maybe) powdercoated. I am also gonna install a set of 3.73's with Richard and Joe's help...and a T/A support girdle. I have an inkling that I'll end up with a new set of Strange or Moser axles and a locker but we'll see. I'll top it all off with the disc brakes. I figure I MAW do it all since the new control arms look so nice and the rear end will be out of the car already.

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Wow Steve, didn't know you were that good this year to get those and early too. Out of curiosity, do you have a type "O" rearend? I think I read it somewhere, but I forget.
I didn't know I was that good either, but someone out there sees it I have a standard for 1972 GM Corporate 8.5" 10 bolt. I have talked to Brian and a few others that think this rear end is capable of handling a 10 second car with the right parts. So I'll beef it up and use it until I pull the trigger and make the car go faster lol!

Originally Posted by don71
Thats awesome!

Santa does come early and you just can't argue.
I'm not a very good negotiator apparently because he wasn't having any of my jive lol! Richard is such a nice guy...it was hard to tell him no, and to be honest I really didn't have a good argument. He said I could pay him however, whenever...not much to argue against.

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Yes Nick, it is very cool. The hardest part is making myself wait till after the October 26th BOP, ugh! I want to run out there and slap it on so badly!
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Smile Just me Santa

Just me Santa. I feel blessed and honored to help you. As you know this year has not been one of the best. Early this year I had stents put in my heart. Than in May I lost my beloved wife Carol to cancer. So meeting you fills in some of the empty spots. I have alot of race knowledge to pass on if you are so inclined. SO ALL I GOT TO SAY IS GO TEXANS.

P.S. So be good. You know Santa have lots more goodies in the old hot rod sled for you.
Rich
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I'm jealous, maybe Santa will visit Granbury too. Rich, again sorry about all your grief this year, it can only get better from here.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Nice. I have visited with Rich
off an on over the last few months.
I am also looking forward to meeting him.
He mentioned you guys spoke a bit. He mentioned MDA...if you guys ever have time we should get together next time you are here. I am a MDA guy as well so I know all too well what you are going through. I just finished radiation in June of this year...still fighting the good fight!

Originally Posted by RandyS
You got stuff on Sunday, but are just telling us about it now......... WTF?
J/K, Santa is good!!
Ok, you remember how it was when you were a kid right? You tore into everything and never saw light of day for a week while you played with all of it. Well, I haven't been able to put it on, but that doesn't mean I don't hold it in my hand and admire it daily lol! I've just been really busy, I haven't been able to get on CO for a couple days but for a quick glance.

Originally Posted by OLDSMORAT
Just me Santa. I feel blessed and honored to help you. As you know this year has not been one of the best. Early this year I had stents put in my heart. Than in May I lost my beloved wife Carol to cancer. So meeting you fills in some of the empty spots. I have alot of race knowledge to pass on if you are so inclined. SO ALL I GOT TO SAY IS GO TEXANS.

P.S. So be good. You know Santa have lots more goodies in the old hot rod sled for you.
Rich
Rich, if you come back you have to come empty handed. No way am I letting you close to my garage with a truck load of goodies lol! I can't wait to spend a Sunday learning how to build a rear end and soaking up some of the racing know how It's probably a good thing you work so much because I'd have you over here working on this car every day otherwise

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'm jealous, maybe Santa will visit Granbury too. Rich, again sorry about all your grief this year, it can only get better from here.
Nah, the Dallas guys just need to come to Houston some time and we can all talk shop. I hear, when Oldsmobile guys get together on their own time in an unsanctioned format Santa shows up unannounced. Sssshhh....that's just what I heard
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM

With people like everybody on the CO. I'm sure it will.
Best Regards to everyone
Richard
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM

I've talked to Rich a few times on the phone & I get the impression he is a great guy. If you ever get to Indy, let me know.
Good luck to you & Rich.
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Do you have an anti roll?
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Awesome... What a blessing!
Texas and Houston in particular is full of wonderful people. What an awesome example Richard is of this great city. Having spent my share of hours at MDA over the past year with my dad... I can honestly say that anyone who is a patient there certainly deserves a few high notes.
Santa couldn't have found anyone more deserving of such a blessing.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tvan
Texas and Houston in particular is full of wonderful people. What an awesome example Richard is of this great city. Having spent my share of hours at MDA over the past year with my dad... I can honestly say that anyone who is a patient there certainly deserves a few high notes.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Thank you ivan. Going to cancer treatments is hardest thing i
had to to with carol. She put up the good fight but. She lost the battle in may. I've alot of empty spots in my life. Steve is one of the best people i was glad to meet. Why don't you join our club steers and oldsmobiles. We have 25 members right now. If you have any questions pm me.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Richard, don't want to hijack the thread. Send you a pm instead...
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Do you have an anti roll?
I don't have that yet. I was going to get the BMR bolt on unit that mounts to the frame. Now that I've got this PMT stuff I might look into something from them. We'll see. I do need one though, even before correcting some of the suspension problems the car wanted to twist a bit.

Todd, next time you guys have an appointment send me a pm and let me know. I have appointments all the time so maybe I could meet you in the cafeteria or something. I know one thing about my situation, it helps to have others to talk to that are going through the same thing.

Originally Posted by OLDSMORAT
Thank you ivan. Going to cancer treatments is hardest thing i
had to to with carol. She put up the good fight but. She lost the battle in may. I've alot of empty spots in my life. Steve is one of the best people i was glad to meet. Why don't you join our club steers and oldsmobiles. We have 25 members right now. If you have any questions pm me.
I'll send him an invite, it's a closed group lol! I restricted it to Texas members + AllanR haha! Again, Rich, thank you for the kind words. Amazing how a thread about suspension parts brings people together over something more serious like battling cancer. I love the camaraderie here. We were just talking about getting guys together and look, we've found yet another Houston area member not only interested in Oldsmobiles but that shares a real life trial as well. "HE" does wonderful things.

Richard, don't want to hijack the thread. Send you a pm instead...
Todd, you hijack this thread all you want. The intent of this thread was to praise a great guy and we have succeeded. Fire away

P.S. Check your pm's, I sent you an invite to the Texas group.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM

Todd, I guess someone already took care of it...or I did? Heck, I don't know. Don't ever let anyone tell you chemo doesn't wreck your brain...I forget stuff all the time. No wonder the Army doesn't want me anymore
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Old School Olds

I feel for you guys...
MD Anderson was such a blessing for us as well.
My daughter had both types of lukiemia, mml & aml.
My wife put her job on hold for a year to say in Houston
to be with her while I stayed holding the fort down.
I would go up every weekend to be with them.
They were finally able to get one of the apartments
for her outpatient visits.
After chemo and a bone marrow transplant, she is doing well.
Being only 24 years old, and all the prayers,
helped her fight it off for sure. God is good, without him,
she never would have made it.
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I feel for you guys...
MD Anderson was such a blessing for us as well.
My daughter had both types of lukiemia, mml & aml.
My wife put her job on hold for a year to say in Houston
to be with her while I stayed holding the fort down.
I would go up every weekend to be with them.
They were finally able to get one of the apartments
for her outpatient visits.
After chemo and a bone marrow transplant, she is doing well.
Being only 24 years old, and all the prayers,
helped her fight it off for sure. God is good, without him,
she never would have made it.
Amen. Adam this pass week has made me feel good. Meeting Steve and doing what I can to help him. Todd it was great to hear from you. We all share so many things in common. This is the frist step towards a great relatesionship. I've got to say with God and our CO brothers & sisters.
We are going to be just fine. Thank you all for being there. Oh by the way Adam i still the hood.
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Old School Olds

Good morning Rich.
I still have it reserved for just you.
Whenever you get ready,
it's holed up in the shop, ha ha.
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Chemo brain....

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Todd, I guess someone already took care of it...or I did? Heck, I don't know. Don't ever let anyone tell you chemo doesn't wreck your brain...I forget stuff all the time. No wonder the Army doesn't want me anymore
Don't sweat it...
I am certainly understanding of Chemo brain.
Dad wasnt to bad after the first two rounds but this his 4th round we are seeing it a lot. Not big things like who he is or anything like that, more like forgetting he told you something, heading to my house and taking the back roads because he forgot what he was doing when he left, he ordered a fruit basket for a friend then forgot about doing it and ordered another one...
Of course he is 72 (today's his birthday) and some of that may be just getting older but since being on chemo it is a bit more prevalent.
Not sure when his next appointment at MDA is or if it is my turn to take him ( I have 3 siblings in the area and we take turns going with him), but the next time I know I heading that way I'll PM you and if it works out with your schedule we can meet up....

Regardless of cancer and moving on to better things...

Not sure where Richard lives, but I believe your on the noth side - maybe one Sat in the not too distant future I can head up that way and meet ya for lunch? I'd love to pick your brain (chemo or not) about that 455 I have sitting in my garage
Richard you think that is doable?
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM

I think we should all get together one Sunday, maybe over a Texans game lol! We all seem to be huge fans I knew when I met Rich I was gonna like him, he was wearing a Texans hat
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:14 PM
jfb

hey pilot i read somewhere that you are looking into a 8.5 10 bolt. the 8.5 with moser axles yokes performance carrier and gears can hold up to 750 at the wheels and god knows how much torque according to a rep i called. I have this set up and it holds true for real power.
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Oh cool! I have an 8.5 10 bolt in my car with 3.42 gears. After the BOP I am gonna pull the rear end and rebuild it with 3.73's and hopefully the Moser axles. It will be my first time building a rear end so I'm hoping Rich will come give me a hand one Sunday.

When it all goes back together it should be powder coated black to match the new control arms (thanks again Santa) and it'll have the T/A cover on the back. I think it should hold. It's holding now the way it is so it'll just be better once it's rebuilt.
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Nice Parts!!!

Nice parts young fellow, and with those rear discs you should be better able to control all those cubic inches!

Last edited by Joe Brown; October 16th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Santa is back looking for good boys and girls. found one Steve aka ah64pilot. Looking at Richard aka Gearshead78. You both been good guys this year. So Santa my just have something for your stocking this Christmas. I know if you have been good or bad
so be good i'm watching you. You know what my talking about Rich.
Bless everyone on the CO.
Your Friend
Richard
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:51 PM
MOTORHEAD

Ho Ho Ho
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
MOTORHEAD

Go get 'em santa!

Hope to see the goodies on your sled soon Steve
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Steve

Git R Done
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Brian, I tell you what...with my Honda being wrecked and the convertible eating pushrods I've had to put off my rear end upgrade. I don't wanna pull it out unless I can do it right and I can't do it right without a Detroit Locker, 3.73 gears, and powdercoating lol! I'll get it done, just might have to wait till after Christmas
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Smile Just Santa checking on you

Sounds like a good plan to me. I've had to put my life on hold. Till after Christmas. Due to some health issues. I can't believe I turn the big 60 tomorrow. By the way GO TEXANS!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Steve

Good things will come to those who wait. My radical sabbatical due to health issues made me well aware that life can get in the way of the olds car hobby and sundry.
Hope you are feeling better Richard, Happy Birthday Santa!