Survey/Opinions on different in-car or handheld wideband O2 gauges

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Survey/Opinions on different in-car or handheld wideband O2 gauges

Just looking to see which brands you guys are using for carb tuning. Innovate, AEM, Auto Meter, etc, and your experiences with them.

Hopefully someone has tried a few different brands and can chime in about reaction times, accuracy, data logging, software, etc.

Maybe limit the survey to the under $600 devices?

I haven’t seen a post like this on here yet, so I figured I would start one to give the guys who are interested some direction in picking a good gauge for road testing.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:50 PM

I used the Autometer Pro-Comp A/F gauge in my '96 WS6. It worked, but that car wasn't too far from stock so it almost never read anything but 14.7 lol! It was nice, and I could see it being a useful tuning tool if you're trying to get everything out of your car.
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:59 AM

I have the AEM & like it. Can't speak for accuracy but it seems very good. I think it is one of the best tools you can have. Have dialed in a number of carbs for my cars & others & they are all pretty well optimized for cruise & WOT.

Gauge kit is a little over $200, make sure you get the digital type so you get a numerical display as well as the "sweep" pointer.

You can buy separate harnesses & sensors if you want to permanently wire a car or do multiple cars @ same time (track day, etc) by just swapping gauge head in & out.

Last edited by bccan; September 20th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks guys! Glad to see we’re getting some different brands in the post.

I’ve only used Innovate’s handhelds myself, and I was debating on trying their new MTX model since it’s only $200 and supposedly it’s fastest…

From their website:

The new Innovate Motorsports Digital MTX Series Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge utilizes the only 100% digital Wideband air/fuel ratio technology on the market! The award-winning patented DirectDigital™ technology we use is faster and more accurate than common “UEGO” gauges and is now more affordable! In addition, the gauge features a water resistant casing, interchangeable faceplates and bezels, and 2 fully programmable linear analog outputs for use with aftermarket engine managements systems and dataloggers!
KEY FEATURES
• The only 100% digital wideband air/fuel ratio technology!
• Water Resistant 52mm (2 1/16”) round dash-mountable casing is perfect for automotive, powersports, marine, and demanding racing applications
• Built-in Direct Digital™ Wideband Controller reduces wiring and simplifies installation (No LC-1 required)
• Wideband O2 Sensor is compatible with all fuel types (Leaded, Unleaded, Diesel, Methanol, E85, etc)
• Ability to calibrate O2 sensor for increased accuracy
• (2) 0-5v fully programmable linear analog outputs for use with engine management systems “closed-loop” and external dataloggers
• Interchangeable faceplates and bezels: Black and silver bezel, black and white faceplates included
• Large digital readout and programmable “Digital Needle” provides the functionality of a needle style gauge with the pinpoint accuracy of a digital display
• Datalog using LogWorks on your PC
• Serial IN and OUT ports allows for easy

Bccan – I had a feeling you were into fine carb tuning with a wideband too, ever since I saw your mpg in your signature line
I’ll check out the AEM line up, and price out separate harness/sensor, since it would be nice for tuning multiple cars.

I hope cutlassefi chimes in too, I'm sure he's used at least a few different brands/models.
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:11 AM

I have an AEM UEGO gage. It has the digital readout as well as the sweeping LED lights. It has been a great tuning tool. I paid around $185 shipped from Amazon.
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM

I have had one in my car for years. I've got an Aussie one from a company called techedge. Looks like they're still around, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them these days as the exchange rate is a killer. It did seem fairly accurate when we put it on some newer fuel injected stuff, as a comparison.

These babies are even more valuable on our old carbureted engines than the new fuel injected stuff, IMO. I had my previous 455 step up with near fuel injection levels of responsiveness. 16:1 on the highway at cruise for MPG, 12:1 when I nailed it, and 14:1 at idle. The great thing about it was that coupled with a vacuum gauge you could "see" every system of the carb come into operation as you drove. Without one, you're really just flying blind. I was able to reach 15 MPG highway with my '69 442 thanks to the wideband, also, so there's some savings to be had there, too. That may not sound the greatest, but that was for a 75 MPH cruise with a 455/TH400/3.08 geared car.

I know I'm not really too much help on picking brands here, but I can't recommend it enough as a tuning tool.
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM

I completely agree! It’s the best tool ever for carb tuning when combined with a vacuum gauge and a dial back timing light.

Those are great numbers Chris, and it’s good for people to see the real potential of a well tuned carb and ignition. I’m a big fan of daily driver type builds that perform well all around, and still get reasonable mileage.
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Chris, just curious, what are some of the specs on your engine and car? What carb are you using? My favorite carb brand these days is Quick Fuel, since even their entry level $300 slayer series is very tuner friendly with all screw in air bleeds, IFRs, even PCVRs. I don’t know of any other carb at that price point with those features.

I just picked up one of the newer slayer series 750 vac sec from summit for 300 to try out. It’s going on a very mild rebuilt 455, so once the car is back together, I’ll do a full post as a review on the carb and tuning.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM

I used the AEM to set my edelbrockcarb. Made a big difference. I also have the innovate Lm2 but have yet to try it out.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM

I have an Inovate LM-1, and it's been helpful dialing in my Q-Jet(s), I especially like the software, the run logs can be saved for comparison, lets me know if I'm going in the right direction.
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 442scotty
I used the AEM to set my edelbrockcarb. Made a big difference. I also have the innovate Lm2 but have yet to try it out.
Hate to say it but the Innovate stuff is crap. They're slow and inaccurate, especially when tuning EFI. You're already in the next cell when it's giving you feedback on the previous one.

I have a graph on my other computor that spells it out, I'll post it a bit later. It was done by an independent lab years ago but the Innovate hasn't changed much. You can also read my comments on the Innovate O2 used in my latest dyno session.

They all use pretty much the same sensor, it's the controllers that make the difference.

AEM is decent stuff though too.
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Porter858
Chris, just curious, what are some of the specs on your engine and car? What carb are you using? My favorite carb brand these days is Quick Fuel, since even their entry level $300 slayer series is very tuner friendly with all screw in air bleeds, IFRs, even PCVRs. I don’t know of any other carb at that price point with those features.

I just picked up one of the newer slayer series 750 vac sec from summit for 300 to try out. It’s going on a very mild rebuilt 455, so once the car is back together, I’ll do a full post as a review on the carb and tuning.
It was a very mild 455, with C heads unported with big valves, Edelbrock Performer intake, 1 3/4 headers and 2.5" exhaust. Fairly tight converter, 216/228 cam approximately .500 lift on both lobes. KB hyper pistons and about 9:1 comp. I had an Edelbrock 650 carb on there, that was way too small in retrospect. The metering rod/jet calibration it allows made it super easy to get results at various points in the curve, however. It really drove fantastic around town, with that carb, though.

That engine had some issues, though, I could never keep oil in it. I've since torn it down, and it's at the machine shop right now. The previous machine work was not the best to say the least; the bearings showed lots of different colors when I took it down. The new setup is going to be a 455 .040 over with Icon forged pistons, about 10:1 comp with Pro Comp heads. Haven't settled on the cam yet, but it'll be in the 230 at .050 area. Same intake and exhaust as before, but I picked up an old Holley 3310 780 cfm carb that has the downleg boosters. Rather than spend for a Quick Fuel carb, I just picked up one of their metering blocks, so I can change anything in the fuel curve I want. I haven't done anything with the air bleeds yet, but we'll see how it runs, first. My guess is that it's going to take more time than it did with the Edelbrock to get it running just right, but it's definitely worth the time and effort to optimize.

My machinist thinks very highly of the QF carbs. Compared with what a Holley costs, I don't see why you'd pick one over the QF, with the features the QF carbs have. This at least when looking at "street" sort of carbs.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cutlassefi – Do you have a handheld you would recommend over AEM? Just curious since I’m sure you’ve been around most of the different brands before. It would be great if you could post your graph too, so thanks in advance.

442Chris – Sorry to hear about the bad machine work on your engine! It’s a constant battle in my neck of the woods too. It’s hard to find a good trust worthy machine shop for hi-po builds. There are so many production line style butcher shops out there.
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:46 AM

No problem, here you go. The LM is an Innovate, the NTK is lab grade, the best you can get. The DFI is the Accel. Need I say more?

442 Chris -I'd be happy to grind you something for your new build, let me know if I can help.
I'm a huge QF fan, great carb. But even with the QF blocks Chris I'm not sure you'll have the same tunability as their stuff because their main bodies house the air bleeds. You'd need to have that circuitry thoughout I would think. Best of luck in your build!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CARYCJR1.jpg (67.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by cutlassefi; September 21st, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks for posting that Cutlassefi, great info there!

x2 on Quick Fuel!