350 rocket performance suggestions - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Racing and High Performance
350 rocket performance suggestions >

350 rocket performance suggestions

Old February 13th, 2019, 12:48 PM

I am in the process of restoring a 1972 cutlass S and would like some suggestions on performance upgrades. I am not interested in changing the engine and would like to avoid doing an engine rebuild unless I have problems later on. When I bought the car I was told it has high energy ignition and a mild cam. I know that doesn't tell you much but that's what I know at this point. I did buy a 4 barrel quadrajet carb for the car which I have installed, running stock 14" wheels with 245/60r14 BF goodrich radial TA tires and I have 3.73 gears to install. I would love to get as much acceleration power as possible so I am looking for some suggestions on headers, which stall converter would work best with the gears and any other performance upgrades you would suggest. I will not be racing with the car but just want to experience more power than the stock 350 will produce. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 13th, 2019, 02:52 PM

What carb was on it before? If it had a 2v, probably no cam was changed, the hi energy coil does nothing for performance. The best bang for your buck would be gears and dual exhaust.
Old February 13th, 2019, 05:06 PM

Agreed on the duals and gears. I'd do those and ensure the tune is perfect, then stop there.

The factory engine is very low compression, like 8:1 if it still has the original thin head gaskets, so you have to be careful when changing the camshaft. The low compression ratio won't support much of an increase, so it's easy to overcam the engine and actually decrease performance.
Old February 13th, 2019, 07:37 PM

Find some earlier heads with smaller chambers, mill the crap out of the heads you have, make sure the carb and ignition is dialed in, install a mild converter, and have fun. Of you want more than that, look into a 200R4 trans swap. Lower first gear, and overdrive. Best of both worlds.
Old February 14th, 2019, 09:21 AM

What is your budget? Where do you mostly drive? In town or highway driving?