Dual Quad Intake BB Olds - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Dual Quad Intake BB Olds

Old November 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM

Dual Quad Intake BB Olds

Hey Guys. I have a question on a vintage part (I believe) that I'm hoping someone can answer. I recently purchased a 455 motor that had a low profile dual quad setup on it. It's the square flange size with 4 holes per carb. It is obvious that it is a dual plane manifold. I'm pretty sure I have deciphered the year to be a 1973 vintage on the block. I believe this motor to have been sitting around for a long time as it is standard bore and has like maybe a 0.001" ridge. But here's my question. The intake had no manufacturer name on it. But on the driver side on top of the heat crossover area between the two carb mounts, it says OLDS EXPORT DIV.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? I've tried some research on the internet but no luck. Is this some kind of a rare factory part? I've asked all the Olds people I know and no one has an answer.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 05:16 AM

Pictures will help, Offy and Edelbrock made the dual quad manifolds, would be interesting to see some pictures.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 08:38 AM

Not the best picture of the intake, this is a Edelbrock dual quad intake stamped 065. Add me to the list, have never seen/heard of the one your looking at stamped Olds Export.

Last edited by classicmuscle.442; November 22nd, 2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 01:51 PM

Talking

Hi Guys. So I took a few pics of the manifold. Here they are. Like Oldsmaniac said, all the dual quad manifolds I've ever seen in the past have been Offy's or Edelbrocks.

This side has the firing order

Nothing in front.

Nothing in the back. You'll notice a casting flaw.

Here's the only identifying info

This is the only number on the whole manifold, underneath.

Hope these pics help.

Thanks!
Old November 22nd, 2018, 02:14 PM

The 5589 is an Offenhauser stamp, that other stamping from Olds export is probably bogus, someone playing with a stamp kit...
Old November 22nd, 2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac View Post
The 5589 is an Offenhauser stamp, that other stamping from Olds export is probably bogus, someone playing with a stamp kit...
Agreed, and itís a single plane, not a dual plane. For some they look cool but youíll give up 25 or so hp vs a Performer or similar.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 07:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

That round bosses above the heat crossovers are where it used to say "360" before they ground it off to make that "export" intake. Offy made (and still makes) several versions of this intake; high and low rise, BBO and SBO, and individual holes as well as plenums.

The best use of these intakes is to mill the carb flanges flat and bolt or weld on a thick aluminum plate for a 6-71.

Even worse is the goofy 180 version that is two single plane intakes, one connected to the primary barrels and one to the secondaries. Yeah, this photo is of a Chevy but the Olds versions look the same.