Holley sniper EFI issues

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Holley sniper EFI issues

i have all the minor issues with my EFI install except for one, and it’s drivimg me nuts. Holley decided not to use the common universal throttle lever used on almost every aftermarket carb, and instead use something entirely new. Their are multiple threads on the Holley forum related to stiff or touchy throttle, the most common fix was to lengthen the throttle lever on the throttle body. I cut the throttle arm off a junk Q-Jet, and bolted that to the existing throttle body lever. That got rid of the very stiff throttle. Now my issue is not getting WOT and still have the throttle return to minimum TPS. I added just a little length to the accelerator pedal pivot lever under the dash, I can get about 88% tps and still get the throttle to return to idle. I can pull the throttle cable under the dash and get 100% TPS, I can’t get enough “swing” with the bracket I have now. My latest “McGuyver” fix iwill be to use a small spring on the throttle cable under the dash where it goes they the pedal lever. My thinking is at part throttle I’ll still have plenty of spring tension for normal driving, at WOT the small spring will coil bind, effectively making the cable shorter and hopefully allowing the throttle to hit the 100% tps. Before I “re-engineer” something that could have been prevented by Holley using common levers that every speed shop would carry brackets for, does anyone in readerland have any brilliant tips of suggestion? Thanks

Last edited by matt69olds; June 17th, 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
i have all the minor issues with my EFI install except for one, and it’s drivimg me nuts. Holley decided not to use the common universal throttle lever used on almost every aftermarket carb, and instead use something entirely new. Their are multiple threads on the Holley forum related to stiff or touchy throttle, the most common fix was to lengthen the throttle lever on the throttle body. I cut the throttle arm off a junk Q-Jet, and bolted that to the existing throttle body lever. That got rid of the very stiff throttle. Now my issue is not getting WOT and still have the throttle return to minimum TPS. I added just a little length to the accelerator pedal pivot lever under the dash, I can get about 88% tps and still get the throttle to return to idle. I can pull the throttle cable under the dash and get 100% TPS, I can’t get enough “swing” with the bracket I have now. My latest “McGuyver” fix iwill be to use a small spring on the throttle cable under the dash where it goes they the pedal lever. My thinking is at part throttle I’ll still have plenty of spring tension for normal driving, at WOT the small spring will coil bind, effectively making the cable shorter and hopefully allowing the throttle to hit the 100% tps. Before I “re-engineer” something that could have been prevented by Holley using common levers that every speed shop would carry brackets for, does anyone in readerland have any brilliant tips of suggestion? Thanks
Yup, do what I did, grab the gas pedal arm right where the pedal and arm connect and pull up on the pedal arm bending it until you get 100% WOT. Of coarse the gas pedal will sit a little higher but you'll get use to it. It doesn't change the tension, just the travel.

Ray
Old June 18th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I used the Fast efi bracket from their kit you can buy through summit. My throttle is a little stiff but its my spring location.
Old June 18th, 2018, 11:37 AM

Crazy question, did you re-calibrate the TPS after you made these changes?
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:46 PM

I read that Holley is now selling a progressive linkage kit for the Sniper, maybe it would be a solution?
Old June 20th, 2018, 05:26 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper/...ve-linkage-kit
Interesting, this is good to know and this sounds like a good upgrade for the Sniper, should make it more driver friendly.
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 74sprint
Yup, do what I did, grab the gas pedal arm right where the pedal and arm connect and pull up on the pedal arm bending it until you get 100% WOT. Of coarse the gas pedal will sit a little higher but you'll get use to it. It doesn't change the tension, just the travel.

Ray
I didn’t pull up on the arm, I removed it, heated it with a small torch, raised it about 3/4 of a inch, bingo, 100% tps. Looking forward to getting it back on the road for a test drive, it’s been pouring down rain whenever I have time for a drive
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:25 PM

Following along

Great info. Hope to put mine on soon.