403 Street Build looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2018, 03:27 PM
G-Body Driver

403 Street Build looking for feedback

Goal is a minimum of 400hp but there is budget constraints. I'm looking for suggestions/alternatives on my parts selection. Any feedback is appreciated!

here's what I've accumulated so far:
Good Standard Bore 403 block (I tore down a good running engine out of 79 T/A)
C Heads (already been machined & rebuilt with new valves, springs, ARP studs and Comp plates), bought 'em this way cheap locally
Edelbrock RPM Performer Intake
330 Crank ground .030 on the Rods .020 on the mains (only good crank I could find, it's ready to drop in after I clean it).
8 Quart Pan

Looking to do:
Keith Black Hypereutectic KB405-024 pistons which are an odd .024 oversize. I can get these for less than HALF the cost of the Arias Forged Pistons.
Crane Cams H-284-2 Lift: .480''/.496'' Advertised Duration: .284°/.292° LSA: 110°
I think I'm stuck with stock rods based on the crank already being ground down .030 on the rod pins. Mondello Performance has H-Beams for $419 on eBay BUT I believe they are actually just reworked Chevy rods from Speed master I did see that his disgruntled former employee sells the same product as well and the only evidence I can find online is some here bought them and returned them due to shipping damage. I might take a chance on the rods from Mondellos (I know everyone on the 'net hates the Lyndello), if the machine shop wants too much $ to recondition my stock rods. If ANYONE knows of a more workable Rod/Piston combo that won't require me to spend a mint on more crank machining I'd love to hear the suggestions.

Was thinking of sticking with just the bolt on 4 main Girdle to keep Machine work costs down. But if absolutely necessary will get the J&S 5 main halo IF he's got one in stock (guy has pretty much closed up shop)
Will do the DMR windage tray

This will be going into a 1985 442. I'm in the process of building up the steering, suspension and braking to handle the extra power.

I did see my Piston selection with head combo (w/custom cam) was good for ~450hp on a Dyno built by CutlassEFI on this forum.

This will be a street car and won't ever see more than 6,000 RPMs. The only race action it might ever see is a test & tune at Bandemiere or an auto-x at a Goodguys show, but lots of hard driving in canyons and hopefully showing mustang fox bodies my taillights. Ideally I'd like to keep pace with stock LS2 powered cars like GTOs and CTS-Vs.
Old March 28th, 2018, 05:18 PM

Don’t waste your money on the Windage tray, you have a deep pan, just don’t fill it all the way.
if you’re doing a halo, any halo, you need to align hone the main saddles.
Pistons are .024 over so they are compatible with 4.375 bore ring sets.
I wouldn’t use that cam, the older Crane stuff is a bit lazy.
And I’ll sell you a set of rods for $420! Seriously just use the ones you have. You’re using a cheap piston so no sense in putting a real good rod under it.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 28th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old March 29th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Don't forget the transmission as well, it will need upgrades along with more stall. Sounds like a nice street build. Mark will be coming out with a rod that won't measure all over the place. Follow his recommendation for a cam, a roller cam is the best of both worlds, better manners and power overall plus no biting of nails at break in.
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:27 PM
G-Body Driver

Thanks for the replies!

So I'm guessing Crane cams is out then. I lived, worked and went to school in Daytona for several years and figured I'd use the Crane as they had always seemed like they put out a good product; but that was 20 yrs ago. I guess I had a lot of respect for them as they didn't build just car cams but lots of aircraft cams too (takes special certification to be approved to build aircraft parts).

Mark, is there any off the shelf cams you recommend? I saw that 450hp budget 403 you built had a custom Lunati...
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1708&gid=278 decent? how much extra are the custom grinds?

olds 307 and 403 I am definitely planning on swapping to a looser TC & upgrading the trans as well as putting a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear end (I'm planning on sticking with the 3.73 gears that are in it). The trans kit I'm looking at is the Monster but I'm still a little ways out from the trans build.
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:52 AM

"Custom" grinds don't cost much more than an off the shelf. You just have to work through a dealer and wait an extra couple of weeks.
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:23 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by rogue_ryder
Thanks for the replies!

So I'm guessing Crane cams is out then. I lived, worked and went to school in Daytona for several years and figured I'd use the Crane as they had always seemed like they put out a good product; but that was 20 yrs ago. I guess I had a lot of respect for them as they didn't build just car cams but lots of aircraft cams too (takes special certification to be approved to build aircraft parts).

Mark, is there any off the shelf cams you recommend? I saw that 450hp budget 403 you built had a custom Lunati...
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1708&gid=278 decent? how much extra are the custom grinds?

olds 307 and 403 I am definitely planning on swapping to a looser TC & upgrading the trans as well as putting a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear end (I'm planning on sticking with the 3.73 gears that are in it). The trans kit I'm looking at is the Monster but I'm still a little ways out from the trans build.
Don't waste your time on Monster, I have heard bad things about them. Go with CK Performance for parts, it costs many $$$ including a deep pan and billet forward shaft and drum to live under that torque. Dan Mascal has built many high torque 403's in the same cars, one in the low 11's and builds his own 2004R's, he was a GM tech for many years. Deep pan, high line pressure and a few critical hard parts are needed to live. Dan uses a 2800 stall PTC converter on all his own 2004R's and only in the $400 range. I like the Trutrac as the are no clutches to wear out and they seem to last.