Engine plates/ mounts

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Engine plates/ mounts

For those running engine plates, do you use a front and mid plate mount and trans mount or do some of you use a combination? Do I need to use a mid mount plate if I have a front plate or can I use a front plate and mounts in the stock location to keep the correct driveline angle? Anyone info would be appreciated.
Old June 20th, 2017, 09:17 AM

Most hardcore guys will tell you to run a midplate. I don't see it necessary on a street car. You do need limiters to prevent fore and aft movement with any plate system. This can be done several ways. I, apparently, did mine wrong by using solid engine mounts with a front plate. Some say solid mounts are detrimental to Olds main bearings. I did it because I didn't know better at the time, had already based the plate mounts off of them, and wanted to get the car back on the road with the new engine after a 4 year hiatus. I'm told the correct way is to use stock mounts with a front plate and limiter rods with Heim joints on mid and front plate setups.
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:08 AM

So to be clear, if I'm only using a front plate then I should use stock rubber mounts and if I'm using both front and rear plates then I need limiters?
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:10 AM

Also what are you using for a trans mount?
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:21 PM

This is the EXACT reason why I don't post here anymore. A simple question about cool, race stuff, and it launches into a huve dissertation on stock rubber mounts .F it.

OK, yes, if you're using both plates, you only need to run limiters. Check out Rallye Bob's setup over on realoldspower.com. I bought a pair of Smitty275's home-fab solid mounts secondhand. They're nothing special; just 1/4" plate welded at right angles. They do drop the crank centerline about an inch lower than stock rubbers, but that's pretty much irrelevant to this conversation. Again, I have a front plate, solid mounts in the stock location, and, to answer your question, a SHORT Energy poly trans mount (4 speed).

I'll continue to refrain from posting here anymore, and continue to view for entertainment purposes. You can email me @ fleming442atgmail.com or join ROP if you want to talk fast Oldsmobiles as this site isn't conducive to such.

Peace and chicken grease, bitches.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to **** you off. I just wanted to get it correct as I've read multiple ways of doing things but for some reason lots of conflict or confusion on the subject seems to take place. I've always run rubber mounts and there are no poly mounts offered for Olds currently so I figured I'd try a front plate to alleviate possible issues with the block/main bearings. Just trying to engineer my build the right way on the first try if possible! Sorry about any confusion.
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by madmax442
Sorry, I wasn't trying to **** you off. I just wanted to get it correct as I've read multiple ways of doing things but for some reason lots of conflict or confusion on the subject seems to take place. I've always run rubber mounts and there are no poly mounts offered for Olds currently so I figured I'd try a front plate to alleviate possible issues with the block/main bearings. Just trying to engineer my build the right way on the first try if possible! Sorry about any confusion.
it wasn't you, dude.
Good luck on your build.
Old June 20th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks I appreciate it!
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by madmax442
Also what are you using for a trans mount?
I've always heard you want to run a rubber mount on the tranny, don't know why but was told to never run a solid tranny mount even with front and mid plate.