Mondello Knowlton heads

Old June 12th, 2017, 10:25 PM

Mondello Knowlton heads

Several years ago I bought a pair of these Knowlton heads from Mondello in Ca. The pair came with an intake manifold. There were two options at the time that I bought the heads, I could get them ready to bold on or bare. I chose the bare option because the price was 3 grand and the only other option was well above 5 grand. When I got the heads they were not only bare with no valves and springs as I thought I was getting, But they were also RAW! I opened one box pulled out the foam padding and casting sand fell out. The valve seats and guides came in a separate box at least I got them. The intake manifold is a massive single plane unit that has NO bolt holes drilled in it what so ever! IT is basically a huge raw intake casting, not even thermostat housing bolt holes are drilled. Anyway I said all of that to ask this. After I spent 3 grand on these things they have been in the boxes (except for the intake, It didn't have a box) since I bought them. I tried to send them back but lynn welfrigger or whatever that dudes name at Mondello's name is, would not take them back. He said that the heads are mine and the money is his! And said if I did send them back that I was not going to get a refund but he would re sell the heads to somebody else.

Are these heads worth spending the money on machine work? Do I need to sell them for scrap? Does anybody have any experience with these things? GLenn Knowlton won't return my calls after I tried to ask him. Does anybody have any ideas on the situation? All info is greatly appreciated.
Old June 13th, 2017, 04:33 AM

BBB in his area

Everyone who deals with him gets screwed. Call and report him. I lost money on some of his junk. Someone needs to put some pressure on him. Google the BBB in his area.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:32 AM

Rocketfuel you got what you ask for when you ask for a bare casting. I do think he took advantage of you. That being said! These are parts for a guy who wants to finish/machine these type parts to his platform designed for max effort builds. If you would have asked for finished bare casting. Then i think you should have received heads with out valves and springs. The guides would have been installed and the intake should have been drilled to match heads. Lynn Welfinger is a guy who has screwed many. I am sorry you got screwed.I have heard some have had success with those heads.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:53 AM

I would not scrap it. There may be someone looking for exactly what you bought to drill for their application. Describe it on your add as best as you can and see what happens.

PS. Spread the word to all your friends who know anyone who may buy from Lynn ( friggemall) Wilfingerya that he is a POS.
GLWTS.
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:32 AM

Mondello Knowlton heads

wr1970,

It is true that when I ordered the bare head I did not realize that bare was equal to raw. I know you can buy a bare Edelbrock head and it will be no were near as raw as what I got, and I was thinking I was ordering the same thing. However you live and you learn. So with that being said, I guess I will see what kind of money it will take to get these things in fighting shape.
Thanks to all for the input, It was greatly helpful.
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Unfortunately Glenn Knowlton died several years ago. His son runs things as far as I know now. Keep trying to call.
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:50 AM

http://www.knowltonsthunderheads.com/index.html
Is this the place you are calling? This is the correct place btw
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:26 PM

If you are going to resell the heads try Real Olds Power.
You might also want to talk to Bill at BTR he is a Olds engine builder with a full machine shop.
There is also Rocket Racing another Olds engine builder.
Good luck
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Mondello Knowlton heads

Thanks guys for all the good info. It is greatly appreciated.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 02:41 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by rocketfuel
Several years ago I bought a pair of these Knowlton heads from Mondello in Ca. The pair came with an intake manifold. There were two options at the time that I bought the heads, I could get them ready to bold on or bare. I chose the bare option because the price was 3 grand and the only other option was well above 5 grand. When I got the heads they were not only bare with no valves and springs as I thought I was getting, But they were also RAW! I opened one box pulled out the foam padding and casting sand fell out. The valve seats and guides came in a separate box at least I got them. The intake manifold is a massive single plane unit that has NO bolt holes drilled in it what so ever! IT is basically a huge raw intake casting, not even thermostat housing bolt holes are drilled. Anyway I said all of that to ask this. After I spent 3 grand on these things they have been in the boxes (except for the intake, It didn't have a box) since I bought them. I tried to send them back but lynn welfrigger or whatever that dudes name at Mondello's name is, would not take them back. He said that the heads are mine and the money is his! And said if I did send them back that I was not going to get a refund but he would re sell the heads to somebody else.

Are these heads worth spending the money on machine work? Do I need to sell them for scrap? Does anybody have any experience with these things? GLenn Knowlton won't return my calls after I tried to ask him. Does anybody have any ideas on the situation? All info is greatly appreciated.

Glenn passed away a few years ago
You could try to contact his son Travis

I almost purchased some of those heads
But wasted over $1000 on my cast iron ones instead

You could try to sell your heads here or on ROP

Best regards
b
Old July 5th, 2017, 05:32 AM
ph_ckstick1

http://www.racingjunk.com/

You got what you ordered..
I'm sure the description of the parts listed as cast, non-machined..
g.m. performance and others sell heads this way..Allowing the end user to machine to their needs..
I'd throw up an ad on the link above.. you might get lucky.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:04 PM
Telecom Guru

I'm late to the party, but I do want to add there are definitely people who would be interested in those raw castings. I can't say you'll for sure get all your money back, but definitely worth selling. Like others have said, seek out hardcore racers who want to customize things like port locations and shapes, valve angle, etc. Somebody will want them. There's an Oldsmobile Hardcore Racers group on Facebook. Good chance of finding a buyer there. A lot of those guys don't post on forums.
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Could you post some pictures of the raw castings, Im sure some are interested in what makes these a good race head.
Old November 18th, 2017, 11:48 PM

Is "Real Olds Power" a site or is it something on Facebook ? Anyone have a link ?
Old November 19th, 2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Is "Real Olds Power" a site or is it something on Facebook ? Anyone have a link ?

Here ya go
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/realoldspower/index.php
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Rick,
Thanks,
RALPH