What heads are these?

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2017, 09:15 AM

What heads are these?

Said to be a NASCAR block but what heads are these?
0D7CD0D7-629B-42D5-BC49-B21A219635B7_zps5l5jiefs.png
67394A7A-B591-43DE-8024-EAE155B8038E_zps3mydvbhd.png
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:28 AM

Isnt that the DRCE Setup basically big block chevy heads? I coudl be wrong since my budget doesnt allow pricing such things.
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Magna86
Isnt that the DRCE Setup basically big block chevy heads? I coudl be wrong since my budget doesnt allow pricing such things.
Nope. The engine above is Oldsmobile architecture, not BBC. Note that the valve pattern on a DRCE/BBC head is E-I-E-I-E-I-E-I. These heads run I-E-I-E-E-I-E-I. Also note the typical Olds timing chain cavity in the front of the block in the first photo. The BBC uses a flat front on the block and a stamped timing cover, not a flat one.

I've seen this engine before, but I can't recall where. Awesome machine work on the heads.
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:41 AM

like i said its a nascar block, heads to look qite similar to a bbc.
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by young olds
like i said its a nascar block, heads to look qite similar to a bbc.
These heads have an Olds valve cover shape and bolt pattern. The DRCE/BBC does not. Really the only similarity to BBC heads is the staggered valves. Port spacing, bolt pattern, etc are different. The two center exhaust ports are side-by-side, as on all Olds heads.
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Old School Olds

Not Wise or Wenzler, but way cool.
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:34 PM

i can see that but if you had them both side by side would you not say they "look" similar or would you pick apart every little difference. obviously they are olds heads, question is who made them, im thinking one off but the valvcovers remind me of a set of heads a guy made using sb2 heads as the basis for design
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Seen these on an olds page on facebook. Im pretty sure they are one off or a very very limited run.
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

i can see that but if you had them both side by side would you not say they "look" similar or would you pick apart every little difference. obviously they are olds heads, question is who made them, im thinking one off but the valvcovers remind me of a set of heads a guy made using sb2 heads as the basis for design
I'm thinking those are the regular tall cast valve covers that fit a standard Olds head. Do you think they are custom? Hard to tell without seeing the others right next to them.

Well, they aren't exactly the same as these, but I have seen multiple versions floating around, including ones with the 1980s Oldsmobile block letter script and newer rocket. The biggest difference from these is the bridging of the top and bottom rib to the circles around the rockets and the shape of the bottom bolt hole bosses.

It would be a lot of work to fab those from scratch.

Old March 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Not Wise or Wenzler, but way cool.
I don't think they are bulldogs.I have seen them also but can't remember where.
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by wr1970
I don't think they are bulldogs.I have seen them also but can't remember where.
Here's the Wenzler's.

http://www.wenzlerengineering.com/Olds/Oldshead.htm
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Old School Olds

Here's the Wise units.

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories...cylinder-head/

Last edited by tru-blue 442; March 8th, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm thinking those are the regular tall cast valve covers that fit a standard Olds head. Do you think they are custom? Hard to tell without seeing the others right next to them.

Well, they aren't exactly the same as these, but I have seen multiple versions floating around, including ones with the 1980s Oldsmobile block letter script and newer rocket. The biggest difference from these is the bridging of the top and bottom rib to the circles around the rockets and the shape of the bottom bolt hole bosses.

It would be a lot of work to fab those from scratch.

I didn't mean the valve covers themselves, should've been more clear as to what I was talking about. I just meant those particular valve covers sitting on some uncommon heads looks very familiar.

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Seen these on an olds page on facebook. Im pretty sure they are one off or a very very limited run.
I did a little poking around and I do believe theses are the one off billet heads based of sb2 heads( sbc nascar heads). I believe the guy who made them only made one set then ended up selling them. Not confident they are the same heads. In any case that's going to be one hell of an olds motor, the post I stole the pics from said he was running a pro charger, f2 iirc
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:56 PM

Pretty sure it's a 64 f85/cutlass
0B5892C3-4B67-4956-948A-49663F40ADCA_zpsnlahclbh.png
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

I did a little poking around and I do believe theses are the one off billet heads based of sb2 heads( sbc nascar heads).
I've been saying for a while that someone needs to make up Olds heads based on LS chambers and ports. The SB2 are probably even better. I'm in serious lust with this motor.
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:05 PM

Fyi

That is Nick's from ARH engine & the heads are based on an Australian Pro Stock engine. Nick discussed them on Facebook.
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:08 PM

Now we know, there is a set of billet heads based of sb2 floating around somewhere apparently these aren't them though
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
That is Nick's from ARH engine & the heads are based on an Australian Pro Stock engine. Nick discussed them on Facebook.
Thanks for the info.
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Dave, could you post a link? Sounds like an interesting thread.
Old March 8th, 2017, 04:26 PM

The engine was discussed in January 2016 Journey With Olds.
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Yep that's where i seen them on Nicks car. Man you should see his car saaaweett!
Old March 8th, 2017, 06:53 PM

[img]webkit-fake-url://9aba2688-592f-4e56-ad48-419464bcab8c/imagejpeg[/img][img]webkit-fake-url://56cadeec-c9b3-4900-bff0-5249869e5994/imagejpeg[/img]
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Marty Zimmerman had the one off billet heads based off the SB2, in Bill's book. Now you see what ARH makes off their headers to own a set of one off, awesome heads
Why are you slamming ARH for something that Nick owns.Nick works for that company.Why put down someone for a success!
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Why are you slamming ARH for something that Nick owns.Nick works for that company.Why put down someone for a success!
I always thought it was the owner of ARH who built this, my bad.
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I always thought it was the owner of ARH who built this, my bad.
Even so that doesn't explain your venom for a company that makes parts for the hobby.Just how did ARH harm you! They make parts for other brands as well.Have you even spent any money with them.That is the problem with this hobby to many sling out bad remarks.I have talked to Nick and he is very helpful and a nice guy.
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:03 AM

I love the flat design of that valve cover.
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Even so that doesn't explain your venom for a company that makes parts for the hobby.Just how did ARH harm you! They make parts for other brands as well.Have you even spent any money with them.That is the problem with this hobby to many sling out bad remarks.I have talked to Nick and he is very helpful and a nice guy.
When did I imply that there product wasn't good or Nick wasn't helpful? I will never be in the market for $2000 to my door headers, everyone else by all means. Either way, you made your point.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; March 9th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:47 PM

The point is just because a company makes something out of your price range no matter what product you shouldn't imply what you did about Nick.It doesn't matter who works for who. All company's need to sell products.You think the company who made those one off heads were cheap! How about that intake! Your problem is you are in a different country. So your price to get american made parts are likely higher than if you were here in the USA.
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Idk if 307 meant to imply anything. I read his comment simply as putting together the fact that they do sell high priced products, whether the quality matches the price I have no idea, and it shows that they are bringing in the revenue to pay there employees a nice wage. It didn't even acure to me that he meant it as a jab about them over pricing there products to fund such nice personal one off pieces as pictured.
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:25 PM

Neely relax. Talk about overeacting. So it's high priced. Nice stuff but for the average olds guy totally useless. And there is only so many dedicated olds guy who will spend that much and that's a really small figure. So this is a bit out of reach for the average guy even if it would be a new product to the olds world. Buick and pontiac guys have all the good stuff that should tell you something about our market.
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Even the valve covers are custom built. They are wider than off the shelf for regular Olds bolt pattern.
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Neely relax. Talk about overeacting. So it's high priced. Nice stuff but for the average olds guy totally useless. And there is only so many dedicated olds guy who will spend that much and that's a really small figure. So this is a bit out of reach for the average guy even if it would be a new product to the olds world. Buick and pontiac guys have all the good stuff that should tell you something about our market.
I hear you but just because some guys are cheap no need to bash a vendor for making money or the worker on how he spends HIS cash.Nothing wrong with being cheap. I did buy a set and never looked backed. On a side not not $2000 in the states. I got mine when they first came out and set on the shelf for a few years.Any way you slice it dice it Nicks car is AHSOME!Hey Copper i am relaxed but can you learn to spell my name? It is Neeley Nee-lee is how it is pronounced.LOL

Last edited by wr1970; March 9th, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:50 PM

absolutely car is amazing. I dont think he bashed em but simply feels the same way i do. Im cheap im not gonna lie about it. I make my own parts if i cant find stuff to work. You think im gonna put on a set of headers that cost a third of what my engine cost to build ???? Same reason im running an old set of blackjack headers from the 70's . I take em off every 2 years blast em re coat them and run em. Going strong for 10 years and i got then as New old stock stuff. Is an extra 20 hp worth 1000 bucks ??? nope. I can find it somewhere else much cheaper. I dont think i personally have crossed that threshold where a tenth will cost me 1k. Perhaps they should offer a lower end line for the budget racer and capture the whole market and offer something for the little guy. Just a thought. I have had RRP do work for me but their cylinder heads are out of my budget but i talk to john regularly at races and local trade shows/ swap meets . He has helped me afterhours as long as i make the drive. Whats my point ? He sells high end specialty stuff but helps the little guy and does not stick to one market or one end of the spectrum to be specific.
Old March 9th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

absolutely car is amazing. I dont think he bashed em but simply feels the same way i do. Im cheap im not gonna lie about it. I make my own parts if i cant find stuff to work. You think im gonna put on a set of headers that cost a third of what my engine cost to build ???? Same reason im running an old set of blackjack headers from the 70's . I take em off every 2 years blast em re coat them and run em. Going strong for 10 years and i got then as New old stock stuff. Is an extra 20 hp worth 1000 bucks ??? nope. I can find it somewhere else much cheaper. I dont think i personally have crossed that threshold where a tenth will cost me 1k. Perhaps they should offer a lower end line for the budget racer and capture the whole market and offer something for the little guy. Just a thought. I have had RRP do work for me but their cylinder heads are out of my budget but i talk to john regularly at races and local trade shows/ swap meets . He has helped me afterhours as long as i make the drive. Whats my point ? He sells high end specialty stuff but helps the little guy and does not stick to one market or one end of the spectrum to be specific.
Obviously I offended someone here. Mark's stroker crank coming out is way more on my radar than a set of headers that might not fit and might add 10 horsepower over my current set. They are nice headers but there have been issues and are just too much $$$ to justify. I like Copper's and others low dollar efforts.
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=young olds;997453]Said to be a NASCAR block but what heads are these?

That block is one that I have in my inventory. It is an early 350 block that has been "poured". Nick needed a stock Olds 350 empty block to deliver to Wilson Manifolds for mock up of those heads/intake. A friend of his posted on ROP last year for someone that could ship a block to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm about 20 mins. from Keith's shop, so I offered to loan them the block. Nick offered to pay for my time and use of the block, but I told him that I was glad to help.