Ping and no power rebuilt 455, aluminum heads and intake from mondello

Old June 1st, 2018, 07:09 AM

I would throw some race gas at it and see how she does, if fine I would then invest in a methanol injection kit and that should suppress the detonation. This problem could be related to so many things as mentioned above. I would also put a wideband on and check afr while the pinging is going on. Just remember you might be one ping away from a blown engine !
A good performance shop in your area should be able to get it figured out with a solid answer to what's going on.
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:48 PM

IMHO I think he sold the car.

Ray
Old June 15th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Does that mean he got it running?
Old October 16th, 2018, 05:35 PM

Hey Ragtop,
I had a real problem with my 300 ford six trying to get it running (or driveable) last year. The plugs were sooting up real bad, and the engine would backfire both thru the intake and exhaust. I couldn't even get the pickup out of the driveway when I would attempt to accelerate it would lunge-and-cough, and backfire through the exhaust.
After many attempts of rebuilding my 600 Holley, I bought another brand new Holley 600 universal. No change ! at that point I called a slant-bed tow-truck to haul it to the local auto-electric shop. The mech said my isolated Voltage Regulator was the culprit because of corroded points the coil was not getting a full 12-volts.

He replaced the voltage regulator mounted on the radiator support, and Voila _ _ _ _ runability problem solved.
Thinking back, my pickup and i lived on the Pacific Coast for 6 years, which probably led to the corrosion. Because so many vehicles today have alternators with internal voltage regulator, I had forgotten to check the external isolated Regulator.
Do you guru guys agree with this ?

I don' t know if this would cause any of the Poster;s problems in this thread ? or is his advance issues a bunch of his problems ? he had lots of advance in the dist.

Not being an Olds expert, from what I have read, If I were him, i would intall new pistons to lower the compression to 9-something for 91 Octane or less.
From everything I have been reading in these forums, (and being a newbie) it sounds to me if the engine is running good, then the 455 puts out good torque even with 8.8:1 compression.
What compression ratio do the marine engines normally produce with the slight dished pistons in the "Fa" blocks ? or is it too much of a variable that must be measured ?

Len

Last edited by Greaser007; October 16th, 2018 at 06:05 PM.