We need a section for supercharging and turboing

Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:01 AM

hows it going im looking at turboing my 1972 Oldsmobile 350 but cant find a lot of detailed info more or less the same question over and over maybe a new section under racing and performance for just those applications could be made just a thought . anyhow i was wondering what i should do as far as the crank bolts and head studs before i bolt this turbo kit i have on it . Id like to increase the strength of my engine even though its a brand new rebuild with no run time any help would be much appreciated motors built for 350 HP @ the crank i have a T70 twin turbo setup rated for upto 600hp that was given to me as a gift so now i have to change some things and i need help figuring out what thanks
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:17 AM

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic8889.html
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:44 AM

thanks for the link
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Marshtonk
hows it going im looking at turboing my 1972 Oldsmobile 350 but cant find a lot of detailed info more or less the same question over and over maybe a new section under racing and performance for just those applications could be made just a thought . anyhow i was wondering what i should do as far as the crank bolts and head studs before i bolt this turbo kit i have on it . Id like to increase the strength of my engine even though its a brand new rebuild with no run time any help would be much appreciated motors built for 350 HP @ the crank i have a T70 twin turbo setup rated for upto 600hp that was given to me as a gift so now i have to change some things and i need help figuring out what thanks
I push for the changes that were made to this forum!I pushed to try and get the performance builds moved to this forum to separate common build from the engine forum. Read the title of this forum and explain to me what was wrong with change? All i can say is i failed! Two mods were open enough make changes that were made. I just couldn't get total changes to get more racers.To get more performance involved guys who build engines and modify there car into performance street machines to support this forum. Guys would rather put post in the engine build section and and not support this forum as there is no separation and i doubt there ever will be. No chassis build section,no body build section,no set up section for transmissions,no electronics section. My hope was changes would be made to correct this! Good luck on you search i hope you find what you need where ever your search takes you. If the mods find my post offensive please delete.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Its not that admins arbitrarily say no to change. Its more like if change is warranted. Outside of a few members that have installed them, or a few newbies asking about turbos/superchargers realizing its more work and cost than they want to invest. How many conversations have we had on the subject in the past? Does it warrant its own category, probably not. Same goes for most of the other performance sections mentioned, only a handful since 09 when I joined. Neely you said you would bring in more racers to the site, we said we would add sections as demand warranted. I was excited to play a part in building a performance section, however the demand never materialized.

Are there threads that fall into a gray area where they can easily fit in the standard sections or performance section, probably.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:56 AM

My reply has always been!If you don't set up the forum to allow the changes it will not gain support! You have to offer the enough where the info on how to for performance and racing.Instead it get buried in stock type builds every forum. My views are why go in part of the way? I accept the fact i failed. Every now and then a guy shows up like this guy and ask the tough question. Then another says go to this other site! When new guys need info wouldn't it better be better to gain more members or send them else where! I have pleaded my case over and over. There is a guy right here doing a blower build! Wouldn't it be nice to have a asset in place to help him along! Racing season is around the corner! The post in the forum is up compared to what it was before. Three racers that were mainly here have been posting on ROP. It is a matter of choice! If you feel compelled to delete any and all of this post that i have made please do so. I see no need to beat a dead horse of why i think i failed! I did one thing here that was to make a effort! Why no one else thinks changes should be made is beyond me. The op does. I am done with this thread.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM

My 2nd biggest gripe about this site is that it's geared toward restorations and Chevy swaps (the BIGGEST is the freaking ads).
OP, you're quite welcome for the link. ROP is a misfit bunch of A-holes, but they've got the the quickest Rockets on the 'net..... If you can weed through the BS, you'll find some good info on how to make your Olds as fast as you can afford to do so.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Since you felt the need to repeat your self in the open forum of a pm conversation we just had that you initiated. I'll add the reponses...

I know exactly who your talking about. Did not say you were trying to start an argument, but you were insinuating that the site is not willing to support new sections. That is not true and I have explained to you over and over its not a build it and they will come scenario. They reduced the number of categories over the years to stop the redundancies and cross posting. Any additional categories will be need based.

There is a performance section. If people put what the thread is about in their title and start threads about their builds initially people will follow. If enough people have threads pertaining to the same subject then a category can be created to library these threads. and future threads will have a section. As we discussed before, the same with boats, if enough people started threads pertaining to boats, there would be a boat section. That is the system on how this site works.

I don't see any of the subsections you suggest on ROP either and that site is performance related:
http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/index.php

ROP:
Total posts 98032 | Total topics 9868 | Total members 1987

CO
Threads: 98,294, Posts: 878,622, Members: 39,823, Active Members: 2,539
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by fleming442
My 2nd biggest gripe about this site is that it's geared toward restorations and Chevy swaps (the BIGGEST is the freaking ads).
OP, you're quite welcome for the link. ROP is a misfit bunch of A-holes, but they've got the the quickest Rockets on the 'net..... If you can weed through the BS, you'll find some good info on how to make your Olds as fast as you can afford to do so.
If you use adblocker+ You will not see a single ad.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:29 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by fleming442
That's a whole lot of BS to weed through.There are very few guys that frequent there, whose opinion I respect, like Milan, Dave, Don to mention the few.
To get any real info about the build or to get somebody to point a person in a right direction is a major PIA. most guys get discouraged because they get bashed and just don't come back because of the few a-holes. have seen many posts where a person comes looking for an advice, only to run away and never come back. the quickest rockets on the net are hardly there and they never chime in, or they went Chevy.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:59 PM

No, actually, the quickest ones AREN'T on the 'net.

I was just trying to help the OP out. How many turbo Olds are here.......?

Oh, and 70cutty, don't expect respect when your screen name disrepects the very car you claim to be a fan of. ....

Last edited by fleming442; March 2nd, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:19 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I don't expect respect, that's something that's earned and not given.

How is it disrespect calling it a cutty? Which is no different than calling it olds?

Last edited by 70cutty; March 2nd, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 03:19 PM

See "Ransom Eli Olds"
Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:17 PM

i didnt read the entire thread but i dont think a section like that is even close to needed. anyways an engine is an engine, getting a working system together takes all the same parts as any other engine its just that we cant buy kits. figure out what you need and build a turbo setup. we dont have readily available parts to do a lot of stuff with olds engines but anything is possible if you want it bad enough, and you have enough money or time.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM

I do understand what Neeley was trying to accomplish with suggesting racing oriented sub sections. It's kind of like "Field of Dreams", you build it and they will come I don't really think CO has enough racers frequenting this site to warrant that at this time. It would be cool to have a sub section for power adders in the racing section, once we have enough posts to warrant that. It would be awesome to compile a reference, how to, on these high performance builds. The thing to remember about wanting to a tract more racers to this site, with them comes big egos, and attitudes. That's what ROP is all about. It does suck when someone asks a stupid question, that's been hashed over a million times, only to get chastised.
70 cutty, if I'm the Dave you mentioned on ROP, thank you. I appreciate that. I always try to help whenever I can. This sight has a different spirit, and generally a more welcoming group of Olds enthusiasts. Things are generally a lot more relaxed over here. The administrators really do a pretty good job of keeping the peace, and moving threads into the correct categories when needed. I'm sure as this sight continues to grow so will the catagories. I have developed quite a few friendships from both websites. I like the fact that they are different. I could have never gotten away with writing the "Home Porting Techniques" thread over on ROP.
Just keep posting the good stuff.
That's all I ask, Dave - The Freak

Last edited by 67 Cutlass Freak; March 3rd, 2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:13 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

We need a section for people that are bored lol.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
We need a section for people that are bored lol.
I think that's the clubhouse, but I haven't been in there in years
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:02 PM

I apoligize for any hurt feelings / arguments caused . Ive been looking around and just cant seem to find the info im trying to find . dont know what im doing wrong my engine is 100% rebuilt 0 run time I've decided to add either a supercharger or turbo and was looking for advice as far as head studs or anything else to strengthen the motor up for reliability . I have a 72 Olds 350 bored .30 over, new pistons , rings , forged crank, Holley street dominator intake dual plane , Holley 650CFM street hp carb , Mallory dual point distributor , new oil pump . everything is new . i just want to make sure she wont detonate by not having the prevented maintenance needed. Again I apologize for any arguments caused.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM

I apoligize for any hurt feelings / arguments caused.

I don't think you've hurt any feelings or started any arguements. Unfortunately there's not too many guys on here that have a lot of experience with power adders. You are navigating uncharted waters. I can try to give you some basic advice that should help you to build an engine that will hold up to boost.

Ive been looking around and just cant seem to find the info im trying to find . dont know what im doing wrong my engine is 100% rebuilt 0 run time I've decided to add either a supercharger or turbo and was looking for advice as far as head studs or anything else to strengthen the motor up for reliability.

First off we really need a lot more information about your build, such as: compression ratio, piston/ rod manufacturer, cam specs, install adv or retard on cam, your HP goals, what boost level? Part of the problem is you claim this engine is already built. Most guys doing a power adder taylor the bottom end for their specific needs. It may not work out so well to throw boost at a short block that was never intended to handle that.

I have a 72 Olds 350 bored .30 over, new pistons , rings , forged crank, Holley street dominator intake dual plane , Holley 650CFM street hp carb , Mallory dual point distributor , new oil pump . everything is new.

Who's pistons, what weight, you say forged crank, was it from a 330? The Holley SD intake is single plain. You will need a custom blow through carb for what you're trying to do. Dual point distributor usually means dual problem, you may want to upgrade. Is it a high volume oil pump? Do you have an oversized pan?

i just want to make sure she wont detonate by not having the prevented maintenance needed.

You say that you want to "make sure it won't detonate by not having preventitive maintenance needs". Do you mean blow up, or disintigrate? Usually when I here someone refer to detonate I think of pre-ignition, spark knock, ping. All refering to timing events or lower octane fuel being used for too high of compression application. Maintenance has nothing to do with any of that or your engine blowing up if the build was not planned out and executed properly. I think what your looking for is some direction for a tried and true formula that others have already tested. The link that was given to you earlier in this thread was a good one to learn from. Also follow the links that were given in that thread. Watch Bill's videos on Youtube about his street turbo build. If I was to build a turbo it would be based on the deisel 350 block. Sounds to me like you just want to have fun on the street, and that's OK. In any case start out with blower/ turbo, light weight lower compression forged pistons, appropriate ring pack, good aftermaret rods, ARP main studs with a Halo girdle for cheap insurance. The main caps need to be machined, and line honed when using the Halo. Purchase SFI balancer and flexplate and have the reciprocating assembly internally balanced. Choose a blower/ turbo specific cam depending on what your heads flow and install it accordingly. You do not need good flowing heads with a boosted application. Generally guys go with an oversized exhaust valve/ ported exhaust runners/ more exhaust duration on the cam, in an effort to get all that burnt fuel/ air out of the head. With a turbo set up having custom made headers can be very expensive. If your fab skills are good, than I recommend building them yourself. Just do your research. Lots of science in headers. You should also use ARP head studs. I don't feel you will need to enlarge to 1/2". Be sure your deck and head surfaces are true. Use a high quality head gasket like Commetics. You may even want to consider O-ringing the deck surface for your boosted application.

Again I apologize for any arguments caused.
No appology neccessary.
Hope all that info didn't overwhelm you, Dave - The Freak

Last edited by 67 Cutlass Freak; March 3rd, 2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:08 PM

I apoligize for any hurt feelings / arguments caused . Ive been looking around and just cant seem to find the info im trying to find . dont know what im doing wrong my engine is 100% rebuilt 0 run time I've decided to add either a supercharger or turbo and was looking for advice as far as head studs or anything else to strengthen the motor up for reliability . I have a 72 Olds 350 bored .030 over, new pistons , rings , forged crank it's a 330 crank?, Holley street dominator intake dual plane, It's either not a Holley intake or it's not a dual plane. Holley 650CFM street hp carb , Mallory dual point distributor , new oil pump . everything is new . i just want to make sure she wont detonate by not having the prevented maintenance needed. Again I apologize for any arguments caused.

There are lots of aspects to doing a blower build of any kind. It WILL detonate if the tune and combo isn't right, no matter what parts you have inside. Make sure you know what you have to work with first.
Just an fyi. Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 3rd, 2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:03 AM

Hey Mark! Maybe I'll be the Guinea pig for supercharging!!
Old March 16th, 2016, 10:20 PM

No more thoughts on this section for these type of power adders,Forced Induction, Nitrous. I am always looking at turbo camshaft specs and not know if they will work well with a procharged application ?
Old March 17th, 2016, 05:08 AM

I'd like to see it happen!
Old March 17th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MR73OLDS
No more thoughts on this section for these type of power adders,Forced Induction, Nitrous. I am always looking at turbo camshaft specs and not know if they will work well with a procharged application ?
See oldcutlass reply why this has not been a option!
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
See oldcutlass reply why this has not been a option!

I am not sure why you find this so difficult to understand. Oldcutlass explained it very succinctly. The percentage of racers on CO is small, same goes for power adders and other high output builds. Ever been to "V8 Buick"? Great site, great bunch of guys (I had a 71 Skylark for a while), but OMG, check out the sub forums, waaaay too many.
http://www.v8buick.com/

Bottom line, the hard core guys go to ROP, the resto guys and street guys come here, and the G-Body guys used to go to Oldspower (not sure where they go now??) And as Fleming stated, there are a LOT of guys, especially old-school guys, who do not play on the internet.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
I am not sure why you find this so difficult to understand. Oldcutlass explained it very succinctly. The percentage of racers on CO is small, same goes for power adders and other high output builds. Ever been to "V8 Buick"? Great site, great bunch of guys (I had a 71 Skylark for a while), but OMG, check out the sub forums, waaaay too many.
http://www.v8buick.com/

Bottom line, the hard core guys go to ROP, the resto guys and street guys come here, and the G-Body guys used to go to Oldspower (not sure where they go now??) And as Fleming stated, there are a LOT of guys, especially old-school guys, who do not play on the internet.
I personally don't find it difficult to understand. I never did find the old post explanation by Oldcutlass but can understand how another user forum section is more work & maintenance maybe incorporating power adders to ''Racing and High Performance'' would work. I personally belong to Rop,High perf olds, 73-77 Olds, Speed talk forums and prefer to use this site more often better group of guys sometimes? Some power adders are fine for the street so it would fit well with street guys and even some old timers that like Blowers. Maybe we all can work on this one & figure out a cure?
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by MR73OLDS
Where are you seeing turbo cam specs for Oldsmobiles? Call Bill at BTR: 5853037560. He used to run a ton of nitrous through his Starfire. I would think that a nitrous and blower cam would be fairly close grinds due to the range of "boost". Conversely, it seems that a turbo cam would either spool quickly or come to life once the boost is built. You aren't going to have a variable lobe or pattern cam though it would be cool- Olds VTEC!