Rocket Build

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2022, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Wr1970 I won't tell who it is because the cult my randomly text me in the middle of night because I mentioned a conflict of interest. But I will say it was posted publicly making those runs.
Okay but if I made a statement like you did you would call me out on it. I don't know what you mean publicly! Why would anyone want to keep a time run quite? Like giving away a secret. You could point me in the right direction on a pm! Just saying.
Old January 19th, 2022, 09:58 AM

First I like to thank all the Old's engine racers here. Who have PM me. A lot of racers like to keep their secrets. And just do not want to give away to much. Which is their right to do so.
Old January 19th, 2022, 10:11 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Wr1970 some guys don't do forums or post on social media. That guy happens to be one of them. One of the olds racers that was with him posted the time slip. Some of the details where left out per the driver. I know some ins and outs as we have mutual friends and it comes up on conversations. Again not my pig not my farm. But as far as I know 8.50 was the number . I do have a picture of when it was posted on Facebook.
Old January 19th, 2022, 10:16 AM

Wr1970 some guys don't do forums or post on social media. That guy happens to be one of them. One of the olds racers that was with him posted the time slip. Some of the details where left out per the driver. I know some ins and outs as we have mutual friends and it comes up on conversations. Again not my pig not my farm. But as far as I know 8.50 was the number . I do have a picture of when it was posted on Facebook.
Okay whatever. Your call and his. That's what is wrong with Oldsmobile racing keep it secret then none will know. That equals not selling parts and death to a hobby.
My way of thinking. Back to the Rocket Racing Block thread please.
Old January 19th, 2022, 10:37 AM

Wr1970 The reason our brand is probably dying and has been considering we have been eclipsed by Buick and Pontiac guys in available parts is because of the shady characters in the hobby. Not the guys holding back the details. There is no big major science to making power it's fairly straight forward. I know I'm not the fastest but the average guy has a hard time running 11's with a bbo that should sum up everything about our particular end.
Old January 19th, 2022, 11:07 AM

Wr1970 The reason our brand is probably dying and has been considering we have been eclipsed by Buick and Pontiac guys in available parts is because of the shady characters in the hobby. Not the guys holding back the details. There is no big major science to making power it's fairly straight forward. I know I'm not the fastest but the average guy has a hard time running 11's with a bbo that should sum up everything about our particular end.
I disagree the ones going slower is because of lack of information. Where to get the parts and who to trust. Plus willing to pay for better parts. Dead horse. This little community of racers on this site doesn't make a pimple on other racer sites. I am no banging a drum but racing forum became more active here because of the changes. Still who has posted a build in the racing engine forum lately? Answer Zip. Why ? Thank you for your thoughts Copper and I do respect your opinion. Now back to This Rocket Racing Thread please.
Old January 19th, 2022, 12:33 PM

what are you guys talking about 8.50 ,, what?
Old January 19th, 2022, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
The point is he out ran the other cars. What does it matter what weight . Faster is faster. Duh
Weight means everything. If it didn't their wouldn't be minimum weights in heads up classes.
Old January 19th, 2022, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
Weight means everything. If it didn't their wouldn't be minimum weights in heads up classes.
So run what you bring means nothing! Gambler's race means nothing! Err I will stand with my statement as it only applied to the cars there at that time and who had the fastest.by the way . Ask John Stopla who was there!
Old January 19th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Here is the reality. Because I witnessed it. A good friend of mine got screwed 3 times before he went to SBC power. 422 SBC stroker. With out the box AFR heads and Intake , and a 750 e85 carb he went ,10.50's in a G body with no serious suspension work at all . I think he had 14k going over to SBC building the engine upgrading the diff , going E85 , and bunch of other upgrades that really where not engine related but he summed it up as one total. Long story short I always say this . If I was serious about going fast it wouldn't be with an olds. There is something to be said about keeping an olds olds but let face it you can probably build An LS or SBC making 600 HP for less and live longer. Dollar for dollar. How many of those olds that where fast around ???? It's for a reason. It got too expensive and or blew up. Not saying the RRP block won't stand up or any of that but unless you are trying to make big power or willing to spend to keep it olds it's just a hair over what most would consider sane spending.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 19th, 2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:35 PM

Here is the reality. Because I witnessed it. A good friend of mine got screwed 3 times before he went to SBC power. 422 SBC stroker. With out the box AFR heads and Intake , and a 750 e85 carb he went ,10.50's in a G body with no serious suspension work at all . I think he had 14k going over to SBC building the engine upgrading the diff , going E85 , and bunch of other upgrades that really where not engine related but he summed it up as one total. Long story short I always say this . If I was serious about going fast it wouldn't be with an olds. There is something to be said about keeping an olds olds but let face it you can probably build An LS or SBC making 600 HP for less and live longer. Dollar for dollar. How many of those olds that where fast around ???? It's for a reason. It got too expensive and or blew up. Not saying the RRP block won't stand up or any of that but unless you are trying to make big power or willing to spend to keep it olds it's just a hair over what most would consider sane spending.
some people just aren’t smart enough to go fast with an Olds and it be reliable.

it’s better he went chev. If you can’t run 10.50’s in a G body with a small or big block Olds….then go the other route

This Rocket block gives anyone a solid foundation to run big power numbers like never before.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 19th, 2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Cooper, Did you just call some of us INSANE!!

You maybe right, I blame it on the Mercury in the Mercurochrome when I was a kid. It work great. You younger guys, look it up!

Some men are Baptist, some catholic, my father was an Oldsmobile man.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:37 PM

I spend what I'm comfortable with. I'd spend every bit as much if I were using a BBC I just might be going a little quicker. I'm an Olds guy till the bitter end. It's not for everyone.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:49 PM

I'm running olds for a few reasons. One being that's the car I got and 2 I quickly realized there was a market of used parts to exploit when people gave up on the SBO and went to bbo and with the internet networking is even easier . Going back to my comment that the average guy has a hard time doing 11's with a bbo. I went 11.60's with left overs and hand me downs with a 350 in my 72 I think I got less than 7k from the carb to the diff . You can go either way on builds but dollar for dollar the reliability and market have determined a few key things the main one that pound for pound you can take your dollar and go alot further with a Chevy. Pretty much a fact not saying it's a way of being but there is a reason that market is big and profitable. To add to the comment that olds isn't for everyone. 😂😂😂 Yeah even the aftermarket. We still have limited options.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 19th, 2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Buddy Baker 28 Oldsmobile, won the race. Old's ruled the day!

Old January 19th, 2022, 05:58 PM

Highway star it was with an SBO. Same as all the fastest olds have been albeit strokers but still I think there is something to be said about that. I think for the olds design the smaller cubes work better from what history tells us. Like how many guys make killer power with the stroker sbf and that seems to be the most popular base in the ford camp.
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:30 PM

Highway star it was with an SBO. Same as all the fastest olds have been albeit strokers but still I think there is something to be said about that. I think for the olds design the smaller cubes work better from what history tells us. Like how many guys make killer power with the stroker sbf and that seems to be the most popular base in the ford camp.
They had no choice. Nascar went to a 358 cu max displacement. Or something close to that. Nascar block like my DX. Could have been a RR like BBO for racing, if they do not force the teams to go smaller cubes..

You know I like the SBO better. From driving cars no-one wanted. Because of the embargo's of the mid 1970's. And high insurance

.Again me and my best friend where buying muscle cars for a coupled of hundred each. My friends Uncle was an insurance guy. We where at his office all the time. Fords, all the GMs Dodge and even a AMC.

More fun than this 17 year old could ever have! Chasing deer in the corn fields, car tag on the way to work, driving them flat out, until something would give.

SBO was hard to kill. So was the small block Buicks. Buick where a little more powerful. Location of the disturber on the Buick was a no go for me.
Old January 19th, 2022, 07:01 PM

I know a BBO that went 8.15 @ 163 many years ago. With head ms from the 80’s

it wasn’t a potato chip either . It lasted more than a few years .

it was on the list of fastest Olds at one time..right near the top

just think what that same hard work could do now with the Rocket block
Old January 19th, 2022, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
Of course it matters, never thought I'd ever see "heads up" brought up on here LOL. Chad, did that 560 have symmetrical port heads? My weapon of choice for Hot street. 7.88 @ 172 @ 3150 548 inches, conventional head. 1122 HP @ 8200 RPM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
I know a BBO that went 8.15 @ 163 many years ago. With head ms from the 80’s

it wasn’t a potato chip either . It lasted more than a few years .

it was on the list of fastest Olds at one time..right near the top

just think what that same hard work could do now with the Rocket block
What weight, what heads?
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Of course it matters, never thought I'd ever see "heads up" brought up on here LOL. Chad, did that 560 have symmetrical port heads? My weapon of choice for Hot street. 7.88 @ 172 @ 3150 548 inches, conventional head. 1122 HP @ 8200 RPM.
Super pro doesn't have a weight limit and it's a nhra track. I have raced dragsters and motor cycles so there goes that thought. Just because that the events you race that doesn't mean everyone does or matters. Again you are racing sometimes what ever is on the line. I once raced in the quick 16 race I went 3 rounds. I was next to the slowest. The fastest was a seven seconds dragster. I was only running 13 .01 in a sportsman car class. That was in 2002 Field was short tower ask for cars I volunteered to run and paid my entry. Two sportsman cars both Oldsmobiles me and my buddy raced that night in that quick 16 race. The Tower called five times for pro to do it none would try it. Needless to say the quick 16 guys shook our hands. I got a .001 light first round against a bike and ran my dial. So I got a buy for second round because I had the best light field was uneven.
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:50 PM

What weight, what heads?
3000 with battens
Old January 19th, 2022, 09:38 PM

Chad, did that 560 have symmetrical port heads?
No it has Edelbrocks with a conventional Olds port layout.
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:13 AM

Again more Chevy stuff. Start your own thread on here under Non-Olds.
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:45 AM

Sorry Mark. It's all the usual culprits of course.
I mean we all had fights on ROP...but at least they were about the right things.
Still interested in seeing your build.
-peter
Old January 20th, 2022, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rallye469
I mean we all had fights on ROP...but at least they were about the right things.
-peter
Spot on right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
Old January 20th, 2022, 09:20 AM

.....back to Rocket Racing blocks and Cutlassefi's build
Old January 20th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rallye469
-peter
Thanks, no problem. And you’re right, it’s always guys like Velcro that just don’t get it, or just have no regard for others posts etc.
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I probably know better but I thought I’d go ahead and post this anyway.
it looks like I’ll be doing 3 Rocket block builds to start the new year. Here’s the first of the three. This and it’s twin brother will be 557ci., with the third being anywhere from 496-505ci.

I’ll go thru the combinations as things move along. I’m sure there will be lots of questions!
Thanks.
Will any of these 3 builds be raced?
Old January 20th, 2022, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by vortecpro
will any of these 3 builds be raced?
😁
Old January 20th, 2022, 06:50 PM

Hey don't mind me I'm probably the one taken the least serious but I like to think outside the box and question conventional thoughts and that's gotten me to where I am personally and in the hobby . I enjoy watching the builds I in no way am bashing the rocket block just have thoughts of my own .
Old January 20th, 2022, 07:07 PM
Duh

Hey don't mind me I'm probably the one taken the least serious but I like to think outside the box and question conventional thoughts and that's gotten me to where I am personally and in the hobby . I enjoy watching the builds I in no way am bashing the rocket block just have thoughts of my own .
I'd rather read about your stuff vs the cubic dollar stuff.👍
Old January 20th, 2022, 11:39 PM

will any of these 3 builds be raced?.....

Enduro road races on Pacific Islands (Oceana) for 1 of the mills. The league I race in runs 10 races a year and my focus has been on 3 of the shorter circuit (more circuits) events. This is my first step into the longer 22+ hour circuit (long format) type race. Real street race enduro event like the movie Cannonball Run but no real police to damper the affair.

Glad this question was asked. Forgot to tell Mark the second mill will be backed by a TH400.
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Pig

Enduro road races on Pacific Islands (Oceana) for 1 of the mills. The league I race in runs 10 races a year and my focus has been on 3 of the shorter circuit (more circuits) events. This is my first step into the longer 22+ hour circuit (long format) type race. Real street race enduro event like the movie Cannonball Run but no real police to damper the affair.

Glad this question was asked. Forgot to tell Mark the second mill will be backed by a TH400.
Why is this the first time I've heard of this awesomeness? We need coverage: links,pics, videos! Sounds like fun.
Old January 21st, 2022, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Pig

Interesting, thanks for explaining! Looks like that block will a great starting point..
Old January 21st, 2022, 05:20 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by fleming442
Why is this the first time I've heard of this awesomeness? We need coverage: links,pics, videos! Sounds like fun.
Agree!
Old January 21st, 2022, 10:54 AM

Texas, power just came back on. You have great skills!!! Keep always questioning? I always like following your threads. If the world ever went "Mad Max" I want you on my side!!!

Heavy duty RR BBO will be the new King. Just give it time.
Old January 21st, 2022, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
The Rocket Racing block has been mentioned many times before in different threads. This is the first one dedicated for the Rocket Racing block. Maybe we can stick to "Rocket block" and not hear a lot of miscellaneous stuff about other brand engines and the SBO (Small Boy Olds) engines.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
The Rocket Racing block has been mentioned many times before in different threads. This is the first one dedicated for the Rocket Racing block. Maybe we can stick to "Rocket block" and not hear a lot of miscellaneous stuff about other brand engines and the SBO (Small Boy Olds) engines.
I knew about the block, and still can't afford one.
I was talking about the island road rally circuit.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:41 AM

"SBO (Small Boy Olds) engines" I laugh so hard! But sill the top dogs, until RR blocks prove themselves

Classic Oldsmobile Racing and High Performance. Maybe we need to change it to. Who got the biggest cubes and best time slip.

Island road rally circuit. Need its own thread. Road Rallies are something I could see myself running!

maybe Golden Pig can start one?

Mark,
557ci RR block, will it be over 1000+ HP?

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; January 22nd, 2022 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Rocket Build