Oldsmobile Race Cars

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM

http://www.leswelch.com/oldstuff/912/image25.html

Check this link for a rare Vista Bruiser shot.
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:36 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by vistacruiser67
http://www.leswelch.com/oldstuff/912/image25.html

Check this link for a rare Vista Bruiser shot.
That's one bad a$$ wagon !
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM

That shot was from Indy 1971. Im thinking that may be Dick Griffin. I think this is a really rare early photo. I think its the same Lubik and Chessrown wagon that Jack Troxell and later Paul Mayo raced of which there are several pictures in this thread. ITS A 455 is on the side of the front fender like the others. The wagon survived and I think its in Minnesota.

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
That's one bad a$$ wagon !

Last edited by vistacruiser67; November 7th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:21 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Here is two I haven't seen before

http://public.fotki.com/mastermodele...442.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/mastermodele...utl.html#media

Last edited by GAOldsman; November 7th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:37 PM
"Car"mudgeon

This guy is looking for additional pictures of this yellow F-85 and or info of the whereabouts this car is.
http://compulsionrodandcustom.com/
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:13 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yup you are right and I posted it
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
How do you guys feel about me posting up some AA/Altered pics of Nanook? It was a '29 roadster powered by nothing but Oldsmobile and sponsored by Holiday Oldsmobile in San Bernardino, California and it is bad to the bone. Yay or Nay?

Here's a sneak peek

If someone doesn't like it I can erase it.
Post pictures of it.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:02 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Supposedly a factory sponsored race car that was supposed to be destroyed after the drag race campaign and was spared. This car was never supposed to be sold to the public

http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-a...days-1968-Olds

I wonder who drove it for Victor George Oldsmobile in Grand Blanc, Michigan? Any pics of the car around?
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Victor George on the side of this one. You think this is it?

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Supposedly a factory sponsored race car that was supposed to be destroyed after the drag race campaign and was spared. This car was never supposed to be sold to the public

http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-a...days-1968-Olds

I wonder who drove it for Victor George Oldsmobile in Grand Blanc, Michigan? Any pics of the car around?

Last edited by vistacruiser67; November 13th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I think it is Vista Great shot of it!
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Sweet Ram Rod! but the only F85 Ram Rod remaining?
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Shoveling Snow

Old November 9th, 2012, 09:54 AM

The guy that owns the black 68' Ram Rod is full of BS or he was feed a line of BS from the seller, period!

Here is how it worked with factory race cars, per what I know/saw/experienced/was told by Dale Smith himself:

ALL cars had to go/be delivered through a dealership, period.

ALL cars were registered as a LEASE, period.

ALL cars delivered to the racer could be stripped of the driveline and racer's driveline installed OR use the as delivered car and build/prep for racing as per the dealership desire. Usually the driveline would be removed because the dealer wanted the car back complete so he could sell it as a used car that came off a lease. Of course all decals would be removed and any required painting done to make the car ready to sell.

ALL cars as per the dealership could decide not to sell and keep the car, such as what Berejik did most of the time. Some cars were given to a few of the more famous Olds racers, who usually raced them till the car/class was no longer competive and then sold them.

No factory race cars that I know of were ever scraped/crushed. I had several factory cars and a few I bought myself. I or the dealership(s) that sponsored me were ever asked to destroy the car, period.

Some times I was offered at a low price to buy the car, usually below wholesale, cause the dealer did not want to bother with selling the car. A few times I had a buyer for the car so the dealership sold it to them. How could I have owned one of the few 68' Ram Rod F-85 s built late 68' model run which was raced by one of the Smothers Bros racers, if they were crushed?

I really believe these BS stories come about so the owner/seller can get a more inflated price for the car. I still to this day roll my eyes over the "Rallye 350 s that came with a W-31 engine". Gezzzzzzs give me a break! LOL

Last edited by davebw31; November 9th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM

I really believe these BS stories come about so the owner/seller can get a more inflated price for the car
That I absolutely believe!
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:33 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by SBORule
Post pictures of it.

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM

We have one color picture of it in the thread dont we?

Yes, I am the guy looking for this car. I will try and get a good intro done up. Thanks to the two of you that got ahold of me through the HAMB.

The quick story on this car is that dad ran it at Thunder Valley, Mpls and other Div 5 tracks in the 70 season.This shot is from Mpls. He set the MPH end of the NHRA class record at one point that season. It was a full ride from Dr Olds, trailer and truck supplied from Wolter Motors where dad was a salesman. Dad had been running GTOs but GM already had a hot shoe from Luverne MN in a Goat so the rep offered an Olds to dad. Ironically the gent with the Goat ended up doing headwork on this car!

I last saw the car as a kid in Spencer Iowa in 1977. It was repainted Ralleye Yellow but the lettering was still visible underneath. 6 years later dad helped me get my first Olds on the Street, a 71 Cutlass S. I really don't miss my fist car but Compulsion has been heavy on my heart my whole life. Thanks, Trent
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Awesome story Trent and welcome aboard
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:53 AM
11.52 @116

This is Soooo Cool!
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tman69
Yes, I am the guy looking for this car. I will try and get a good intro done up. Thanks to the two of you that got ahold of me through the HAMB.

The quick story on this car is that dad ran it at Thunder Valley, Mpls and other Div 5 tracks in the 70 season.This shot is from Mpls. He set the MPH end of the NHRA class record at one point that season. It was a full ride from Dr Olds, trailer and truck supplied from Wolter Motors where dad was a salesman. Dad had been running GTOs but GM already had a hot shoe from Luverne MN in a Goat so the rep offered an Olds to dad. Ironically the gent with the Goat ended up doing headwork on this car!

I last saw the car as a kid in Spencer Iowa in 1977. It was repainted Ralleye Yellow but the lettering was still visible underneath. 6 years later dad helped me get my first Olds on the Street, a 71 Cutlass S. I really don't miss my fist car but Compulsion has been heavy on my heart my whole life. Thanks, Trent
Welcome Trent, hope you find that F-85 !!!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
"Car"mudgeon

55oldsgasser.jpg
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM

What magazine issue has the white Cutlass SX Stocker?

I know the dark colored convertible is from March 1972 Hi Performance Cars magazine but Im looking for the magazine issue that has the white convertible Heavy Hauler article below. Anyone who knows the magazine issue that has the white convertible please let me know. By the way they are the same car. The SX was bought from a dealer's wife, painted grey, and then later white and gold with 72 cosmetics added. Eventually the SX was sold with an incorrect 350 after Seger and Griffin were done racing it. Im not sure what color the car was to begin with.

Al Seger's white 72 Supreme convertible was actually a 71 SX with a dark body color converted to a 72 Supreme. Dick Griffin and AL Seger were looking for a Cutlass convertible and saw the 71 SX drive by. It was owned by the wife of an Olds dealership in the Minneapolis area and she very badly did not want to part with the car but eventually a deal was struck and they had their Cutlass convertible. Al later sold the car as a street car with all 72 changes intact and a 350 in place of the 455.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 1st, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM

StockSSDragRacing1960sphotos-RayLab.jpg?t=1258720388
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Found this information about this SX per Mr. Lattimore:

According to Dale Smith the only one Raced with a 4 speed. Held the IHRA SS/K record 73-74 and NHRA SS/K record in 74 and raced locally in the Md. Va. area mostly. In 1974 it was raced 45 times locally and won 36 eliminators 8 runner ups and 1 3rd. place. It was originally raced by Stuart Mathews and Jack Bender in 71-72 with limited sucess as an automatic. It was then purchased by Lattimore's race partner Bob Dodson in Sept. 72 they redid motor trans and rear and raced it with a stick. It is currently owned by Tom Cable in MD. and is currently being restored to original. It still smells new and shows 143 miles on the odometer.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; November 27th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:26 AM

The Dodson Latimore car pictured above looks like the one later owned by Fred Leland of Annapolis and then Bill Bricker---I was the announcer at Capitol raceway during this period and knew all of those people pretty well.....Still have occasional contact with Bricker and Lattimore and my Daughter knows Tommy Cable real well and I didn't know he had that car.....+ I at 72 years old still race MY Oldsmobiles....... I have no clue how to post pics.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:24 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by ferndaleflyer
I have no clue how to post pics.

I just take the photos from my digital camara , upload them onto the computer , and then shrink them to the required size for this site in order for them to upload in the "manage attachments " drop down box without getting an error . When I'm typing a post or reply , I hit the " manage attachments " tab located below where you are typing , upload the photos from your desktop , or whatever file you have the resized photos stored in on your computer , close out the " manage attachments " drop down box , and then click on the first photo link listed below manage attachments tab , and then copy & paste each one into where you are typing your reply , so they are bigger .

Last edited by oldsguybry; November 28th, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by ferndaleflyer
The Dodson Latimore car pictured above looks like the one later owned by Fred Leland of Annapolis and then Bill Bricker---I was the announcer at Capitol raceway during this period and knew all of those people pretty well.....Still have occasional contact with Bricker and Lattimore and my Daughter knows Tommy Cable real well and I didn't know he had that car.....+ I at 72 years old still race MY Oldsmobiles....... I have no clue how to post pics.

Im not too good at uploading the pictures. I just post them on a secure site elsewhere that Im sure they are not going to be deleted. Then I copy and paste them there. This car was definitely in the Annapolis area and Im sure Fred Leland and Bill Bricker could have owned the car at some point. Evidently its only been raced and not street driven with only 143 miles which might explain why the car disappeared. I contacted Mr. Lattimore on the classracer site and he was kind enough to PM me back with the information above. I just edited it slightly and put it in third person instead of first person by changing the pronouns. You and other's comments give great insight to this thread. Im very grateful. I suppose you did not know Al Seger from the post above? Seger may not have raced in the Maryland area?

Last edited by vistacruiser67; November 28th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:38 PM

RON GAREY REMLINGER 72 SUPREME
NEVER SEEN THIS ONE BEFORE.
THIS PROOF WILL DO UNTIL A BETTER SHOT OF IT SURFACES.
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:43 PM

I apologize if this was already posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
yellowb1.jpg (39.7 KB, 81 views)
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tbay.jpg (59.3 KB, 82 views)
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM

These two shots were great. Never seen the cars before.

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Another one.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:33 AM

These two shots were great. Never seen the cars before.
Grabbed them from youtube Oldsmobile Drag Race Cars, cool stuff!
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM

RON GAREY REMLINGER 72 SUPREME
NEVER SEEN THIS ONE BEFORE.
THIS PROOF WILL DO UNTIL A BETTER SHOT OF IT SURFACES.
There doesnt seem to be many pix of this car around. Aside from this same proof shot, Attached is one other "glimpse" shot of it in the background of a pic of Tignatelli's car.
Attached Images
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks. Do you remember this car?

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
There doesnt seem to be many pix of this car around. Aside from this same proof shot, Attached is one other "glimpse" shot of it in the background of a pic of Tignatelli's car.
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks. Do you remember this car?

Yes - He had Gail Parsons as a partner in this car. His name is on rear quarter. Parsons was the GM fuel Injection guru-expert of the day. Many may remember his work. Not too many jr stock chevies with fuel injection that Parsons didnt have some "participation"!! Unfortunately Gail is no longer with us. He Passed about 2 years ago!! RIP Gail!!
For some unknown reason, there doesnt seem to be many pix of this car around. Jim Wheeler campaigned his 72 ragtop out of Remlinger the same year. The last pic shows the car as it is today sitting in Sammy Pizzalato's garage. He has owned since Jerry Dover quit racing it. The car was only ever on the race track. The odometer only shows a few hundred miles on it today!

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile Race Cars