Bracket Issues after Aluminum Head Swap, Olds 455 Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:29 PM

Bracket Issues after Aluminum Head Swap, Olds 455 Please Help!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I rebuilt my Olds 455 and decided to go with the Edelbrock Heads, my Altenator Bracket now does not fit, the Air Conditioning Compressor is having the same issue. I haven't got to the power steering yet but because it's mounted on the lower section of the block I think it may be in the clear. And advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you
Your fellow BOP friend...
Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

Can you post a few pics showing how far the holes are out? Can you oblong the hole a little to make them work?

Eric
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:52 PM

in my experience you just have to grind some material off of the brackets..no big deal
Old October 4th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

I just did this on my 455 with pro comp heads. 70 442. I am assuming you have an elderbrock intake as well. The front alternator bracket that bolts to the head directly has a lip on the upper and lower side of the bracket on the back side. Grind that lip flush with the bracket going back about an inch on the lower one, and the alternator brackets should bolt up fine from there.

Assuming an aftermarket intake the hole in the a/c bracket that bolts to the intake will need to be oblonged to accommodate where the intake bolt hole is. If it is an elderbrock intake it will require a smaller bolt.
Old October 10th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
I just did this on my 455 with pro comp heads. 70 442. I am assuming you have an elderbrock intake as well. The front alternator bracket that bolts to the head directly has a lip on the upper and lower side of the bracket on the back side. Grind that lip flush with the bracket going back about an inch on the lower one, and the alternator brackets should bolt up fine from there.

Assuming an aftermarket intake the hole in the a/c bracket that bolts to the intake will need to be oblonged to accommodate where the intake bolt hole is. If it is an elderbrock intake it will require a smaller bolt.
This ^^ on the alternator bracket that bolts to the front of the head. Power steering should have no problem.