1968 Cutlass windshield and rain gutter trim for Vinyl roof

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2014, 02:01 AM

1968 Cutlass windshield and rain gutter trim for Vinyl roof

In the process of having my car painted and the vinyl roof installed but I realized I do not have the correct rain gutter stainless or front windshield trim for a vinyl roof.

Help!

-Michael
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:39 AM

Michael,
I "think" the windshield trim & rain gutter stainless is the same, vinyl top or not? I have several window trim pieces & might have both sides of the rain gutter also if they are the same. Give me a call?
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Registered Luser

If you can verify if the trim for the rain gutter is the same as a chevelle, I have a set for sale. New reproduction. Cheap.
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:38 AM

I've been told my several people that at the very least gutter trim is different, as it has to be wider to accommodate the vinyl that is suppose to go up the side of the gutter and be pinched by the trim. A work around is to just end the vinyl on the floor and glue it it to the floor of the gutter (rather than go up the side) that way you can use the regular trim.

I need to go through what I have for trim and even if you don't have the vinyl gutters I still may be interested as mine were pretty beat up.

-Michael
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:43 AM

I'm glad you asked that question, because I thought they were the same. So I looked in the parts book, and lo and behold there are four part numbers. Two for vinyl 7778768-9, and two for W/O vinyl 7723588-9...Thanks, Statue.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:17 AM

i know the windshield trim is the same, and as stated the VT trim is special...

with that said...the replacement tops arent put on like the originals..from the factory, the top is put on then they snap the molding on and then theres a nylon finish molding that snaps in..rare..impossible to get..

ive had 20 tops put on cars, and the new tops are glued into the drip rail..so unless youre doing a w30 type resto..theres no real need to hunt down the VT trim...because the install process has evolved..i bet a $100 bux a top guy would destroy the special VT moldings just installing them....they are paper thin..if you dont get the top on perfect etc when you try to snap the trim on..i gets ugly fast..

also the repop trim is too flat for a high end car..originals are convex..repops almost flat..once you see the 2 side by side you can see the diff from 10 feet away...

and really..the drip trim is near impossible to get off with no damage..the stuff is so thin...ive pulled and solld 100 sets at least..and never have gotten them off in perfect condition..ive tried everything....they twist, the edge get weird etc...very hard to get off...ive tried everything...including cutting the whole gutter off and trying it on a bench etc..ive made tools...ive taken hrs to pull them off...ive talked to Top guys..ive talked to guys from back in the day....they are hard to get off..almost a one time shot....

i can get them off in good condition but not perfect..then theres the whole install thing...you use your palm to tap them on and you flatten them out...or eve dent them..imaginge trying to snap one on with a VT thats 2xs as thick as an original top...its a difficult situation..

Last edited by marxjunk; June 12th, 2014 at 07:21 AM.