Service Guild/Technical Bulletins

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:34 PM

Service Guild/Technical Bulletins

I am looking to fill out some of my Oldsmobile literature. I have the service guilds from 67-72, some nearly complete, others not, and duplicates of a lot of stuff.

Happy to trade specific duplicates for your duplicates, etc. Or sell/buy individual bulletins to make things work for whomever is interested.

I've only gotten through 1968 so far. I'm looking for the 1968 Oldsmobile Product Information Letter (Vol 8, Issues 1-20), and the following Bulletins:

Campaign: C59, C-60, C2, and C3. C59 and C-60 aren't in any index I can find, but I have seen info that C50-C60 exist (the pre-sale campaign bulletins seem to start at C50 and not get indexed, since many of the cars were still in the yards and only a few big dealers got early deliveries in volume; the post introduction bulletins begin at C1 and mostly get indexed).

Information: I4 if it has the rejection code attachment, I5 and I6(clean), I7 (with attached FRM pages), I19 (clean, and I-27 (with attached FRM pages)

Technical: T-16B (indexed in 1969)

I'd also look at a 1968 service policies and procedures book and a flat rate manual.

I have 1 or more extras of about half of the 68 service guilds, most of the technical bulletins, and about 20% of the information bulletins. I also have spares from other years, and will be looking for some 1969 stuff as well.

What do you have to swap???
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Hello.

What is the Service Guilds, and what is the difference between Campaign, Information, and Technical. I have seen some of these on Wild About Cars/Auto History Preservation Society, but have never seen an explanation as to what they actually meant and contained.

I have found information I never knew before, such as the planned light weight frames for W-30's & W-31's, and SS-III 15" rims & G60 tires for the 1970 model year, both which were cancelled in August 1969.

Have you shared your information with WAC/AHPS, as they are looking for all documentation regarding Oldsmobile and the other manufacturers?

Anthony
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have some duplicate info from 71 and 72 Service Guilds and Tech. What are you missing there? These things are getting very hard to find in reasonable condition and price lately aren't they?
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM

The Oldsmobile Service Guild was Oldsmobile's ongoing technical training program for the dealer mechanics. As part of the program, they published a monthly bulletin every model year with specific information on cars, parts, processes etc. that would be important to the mechanics, with several self tests every year as part of the process.

Bulletins were published on an as needed basis.

Campaign bulletins were put out to notify dealers to fix defects, and provided the information necessary to make the fixes. They could have been put out before the cars hit the market, or after.
Information bulletins were sent out to notify dealers about many different things. Changes in processes (flat rate manual revisions, warranty claims, etc) and changes in production issues might be found here.
Technical bulletins contained information about how to make specific fixes if they were identified in a customer car.

Every model year there was binder sent out for each mechanic enrolled in the service guild in which they could collect all this information so they could keep current. Not everyone saved all the information, naturally, and a lot got lost over the years, but these kinds of things aren't that rare, since each dealership typically had several men enrolled in the program. I haven't checked WAC for this particular content in a while, but I did email with them a while back regarding some of my stuff. Just hard to figure out exactly how to approach some of this stuff.

In addition to the above bulletins, Oldsmobile sent to the dealers every year all kinds of other bulletins about merchandising, production and options, etc. Those for the most part were one to a dealer, weren't likely to be saved year to year, and are very hard to find.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM

Hi Allan,
Probably a lot from 71-72, but I'm not there in my indexing yet. Those binders are thin, though. Are you looking for anything?
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm pretty much a 72 guy. LMK when you get to that year. I also have a spare 72 SG Binder that is partially complete. My good one is complete and I could likely scan info for you if needed. I know you'd prefer original material. I'm sure we can come to some agreement on something when the time comes?
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:49 PM

Hello Cameo White.

Thank you very much for explaining the different terminology and the usage for each, it is greatly appreciated.

Anthony
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Have you shared your information with WAC/AHPS, as they are looking for all documentation regarding Oldsmobile and the other manufacturers?
Anthony
Thanks, Anthony, you are absolutely right.
As I have just mentioned in another thread, At Wild About Cars we have an extensive collection of these Dealer/Service/Marketing bulletins. And complete sets of Service Guild Training Manuals for most years. Little is posted yet, we're still cataloging and scanning. Eventually, we expect to be able to post virtually all of these manuals and bulletins that were issued.
The hardest ones to get are the bulletins. It is difficult to know if you have them all or not. Cataloging them is a must there.
WAC is interested in good electronic copies, we do not want to keep hard-copies.
I'm presently (and very slowly) cataloging 1965 and working my way forward.

Cameo, shoot me an email and I'll see what we have for you.
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Chris

Cameo, dont know if you are looking for lat years, but i have 73, 74, 75 Technical Bulletins and Service Guilds together in Oldsmobile binders. Were you only looking for 68?
Thanks, chris