70 Cutlass S B85 Moulding

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
wait.... what....

70 Cutlass S B85 Moulding

Just like the add says, i am looking for the passenger door B85 trim piece. Must be in good shape with no dents or dings.
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldzzy
Just like the add says, i am looking for the passenger door B85 trim piece. Must be in good shape with no dents or dings.
Good luck with that. Most of these pieces will have some dents because of the way they mount on the car - they can be straightened though. Not sure but I think these are anodized aluminum. I realize it's not what you're looking for, but you know that Fusick sells the B85 kit? Don't know if they will sell individual pieces.

I on the other hand have the metal trim, but need the mounting parts the molding attaches to. I will keep my eyes open for anything that pops up though.
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
wait.... what....

Metal parts? I thought the felt part had the little metal prongs attached to it. There was a thread on here about which B85 kit to use.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM

You guys are way off each others "wavelengths".....

>The "B85" molding IS the anodized aluminum moldings...4 pieces

>The stuff from Fusick, etc is the w/strip (ie outer window sweepers that attach to the B85 molding....nobody repros the aluminum moldings.

I posted what I found so far in The General Discussion section recently...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-molding.html

I assume the OP needs one of the metal pieces?

Alan- what do you mean when you say you need "the mounting parts the molding attaches to"?? Are you referring to the rubber sweepers? If so, see the link.

Last edited by 70Post; February 12th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Metal parts? I thought the felt part had the little metal prongs attached to it. There was a thread on here about which B85 kit to use.
Yes, I also was following that thread too. The B85 molding is the wide metal strip that sits on top the door and quarter panel ridge, next to the window. One of the guys who has this sent pics to me because I need the parts that go under the bright reveal. What metal parts are you thinking of?
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post

>The stuff from Fusick, etc is the w/strip (ie outer window sweepers that attach to the B85 molding....nobody repros the aluminum moldings.
I posted what I found so far in The General Discussion section recently...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-molding.html
I assume the OP needs one of the metal pieces?

Allan- what do you mean when you say you need "the mounting parts the molding attaches to"?? Are you referring to the rubber sweepers? If so, see the link.
Hi Patton. You confirmed what I was thinking when I mentioned the anodized aluminum moldings. That' what I was referring to as the metal pieces. The OP confused me by his reply. I have all the moldings, what I need is the w/strip that attaches to the moldings.

The link is very helpful. I was watching a different thread for it and missed it on the one you posted because I wasn't subscribed to it. So, Steele has the product that will fit, but might need modification (what's new there?) to fit perfectly. I was actually waiting to hear back on the other thread because you were going to check out the Fusick product. Do you know if it's the same as the ones from Steele? That's what I needed to know. "original" is the way I'll go. Thx again for the info
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM
wait.... what....

This is exactly what i was wanting. I got confused when Allan was talking about the mounting parts. I have one in my hand as we speak, and i thought the little tabs that hook around the trim were attached to the rubber weatherstrip. I haven't separated the trim from the rubber piece yet to see if that's the case.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Allan - I'm not going to waste the time or $ with the Fusick w/strips...there have already been numerous reports on how bad theirs fit....seriously doubt they've ever tried installing their w/strips on the moldings.

Shane - Yes, those small triangular tabs are part of the rubber w/strip. The rubber w/strips have a metal core in them and the metal triangular retention tabs are formed in the w/strips as part of the manufacturing process.

"requires a little work".....these ARE repro parts and we all know what that means in many cases.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan - I'm not going to waste the time or $ with the Fusick w/strips...there have already been numerous reports on how bad theirs fit....seriously doubt they've ever tried installing their w/strips on the moldings. "requires a little work".....these ARE repro parts and we all know what that means in many cases.
Patton thx. I won't waste my time with the Fusick ones either.
Far as I know, to get the B85 moldings back to a bright finish, I need to have them re-anodized right? Mine are oxidized and have minor scratching, but at least I have all 4. They're not easy to find in pristine condition, hence my comment in the first post. Think we got this under control now.

Oldzy, if I see anything come up, I'll PM you. Sorry for the confusion.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Allan - "My442" tried the Fusick pieces and I also know a guy up in Dallas that tried them (DCXDRVR on ROP)...both guys said they were way off.

You can have them reanodized but you need to find a place that does the "Bright Dip" type anodizing. I think standard anodizing just leaves a dull/flat finish (that's what I've seen here at a plating place owned by a buddy). The "Bright Dip" process is what was used on the auto trim....leaves the shinier/brighter/glossier finish.

Many people strip them, repair dents, etc and then polish and clearcoat them. Others leave them bare after this and just polish them periodically with a good alum polish.

Let's discuss further on a different thread if need be.

BUMP FOR SHANE .

Last edited by 70Post; February 13th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
wait.... what....

Glad we have this all sorted out! lol The one i have, has a pretty good crease in it, so i don't know how easy it would be to repair. Looks like someone at some point of time dropped something that put a deep scratch in the window, and then creased the trim.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glad we have this all sorted out! lol The one i have, has a pretty good crease in it, so i don't know how easy it would be to repair. Looks like someone at some point of time dropped something that put a deep scratch in the window, and then creased the trim.
Now THAT would be a great NEW thread we could all get into....(hint)....
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by Allan R
Now THAT would be a great NEW thread we could all get into....(hint)....
What's that, a repair thread?
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What's that, a repair thread?
ummm sure, you could call it that if you want....
I was just thinking there hasn't been a good writeup / pic documentation of the B85 installation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the B85 more popular on the CS than the fastbacks?
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
wait.... what....

I have no idea about that. All i know is when i go to an Olds show, there aren't too many with the B85 molding. There's a guy with a 70 S that comes into my neighbor hood to visit his daughter every now and then, and he has the trim on his car. Maybe i should suggest to him that i will buy him new "skinny" molding in trade of his old trim! lol